Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 03:46 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times

Advertisements

Some of these do sound really nasty. The only one I'm familiar with are those little packaged donuts, and yes they are gross and leave you tasting a glob of grease fat in your mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 03:55 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Since Covid, I’ve been eating better and less processed.

It hasn’t been that long, but processed things taste like a block of salt. Met a friend for an In and Out burger. It wasn’t edible. My mouth burned from the salt.

I knew processed foods were high in sodium, but this is a wild discovery.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM

560 posts, read 582,172 times
carrots

Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,399,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Rat on a stick.
You must have gotten a bad one. They're usually pretty good.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:22 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,275,729 times
I used to love Hostess Donettes, those mini-donuts; the chocolate ones were always a bit waxy but darn it I liked the taste! And the powdered sugar ones were the best. Then they disappeared, came back after a while (marketed as "The Sweetest Comeback Ever" and they were AWFUL.

Thanks for the warning upthread about Mr. Goodbar; I liked those once in a great while and I'm sorry they've changed.

I used to like Lay's potato chips but it seems something changed there too. I tried them quite a while back from one store and thought I got a bad snack bag, but then tried them from two other places and the same thing. Plain or BBQ...something changed. Oh well, I don't need them anyway.

Soy stuff isn't my thing...leaves an odd aftertaste.

Seaweed stuff sounds dreadful; I'd never try it.

Not a huge fan of carrots, either!

Old 08-13-2020, 04:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,344,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
You must have gotten a bad one. They're usually pretty good.
Solly loves 'em!

Old 08-13-2020, 04:44 PM

8,054 posts, read 10,649,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Virtually all American mainstream brands make horrible candies and chocolates. M&Ms, crack open and you can see very little cocoa content. It's more sugar and binders than pure chocolate. Snickers omg, the peanuts the use is so little and so much caramel. The worst part is the chocolate or lack of it. I know people think Hersheys is the go to brand. Their chocolate bars is so off the mark today how can they sell a bar that doesn't taste much real chocolate flavor vs say IKEA chocolate bar that cost less and taste a lot better. Another bad offender is kitkats, the reason so many millennials these days buy the Japanese version because it not tastes better, more variety, but the chocolate content is higher. Until Americans start buying other brands or demanding high quality these snacks are gonna start tasting all sugar and very little flavor.

Millennials could change this as they are buying less and less traditional mainstream brands and more specialty snacks and brands.
Yes, they've definitely ruined the chocolate.

The chocolate candies we loved growing up have been cheapened beyond recognition. Not the same. M&M's, etc., waxy and full of cheap chocolate "flavoring" and corn syrup. Most candy now outsourced to Mexico. Including Hershey's. Have you noticed there are rarely and "new candy" bars introduced anymore? Always the same boring offering of Snickers, Reeses, Hersheys and Payday, etc.. I remember when Reese's first came out. "You got your peanut butter on my chocolate....". It was a thing, you know, a new thing. No creativity anymore.

I'm sure that's why Millennials are seeking better tasting, higher quality chocolate and snack options.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:27 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,301,029 times
OMG! The Mr Goodbar are awful now. I thought it was just me. The miniatures taste like they have burnt peanuts in them.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:56 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Solly loves 'em!
My Solly? He’s more a bird guy.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,300,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Quaker Oats rice cakes....like eating carboard.
My thoughts exactly!!!
(tried to rep you again but CD says too soon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink