Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 04:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Deliciously creamy...

https://nationalpost.com/news/delici...t-milk-cheese/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 05:06 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Boy have I got a good one for you - I volunteer at a food shelf and we get some weird stuff - both from consumers and manufacturers. Today this showed up - Chocolate mint dipped............................chickpea snacks. Yup, a chickpea dipped in minty chocolaty goodness. yum yum.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:11 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,082,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
No, but I’ll give it a shot.
Don’t buy a big package — Bimbo baked products are awful. They use sugar and dough conditioners to substitute for the butter they removed.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:05 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
I'd say none of this stuff mentioned was designed with your health in mind, except maybe carrots. Anything with ingredients you cant even pronounce.... probably not all that healthy. Its more or less engineered only to hit your bliss point and get you to buy and eat ever more.

As to raw carrots, most commercial carrots are pretty bland. It depends kind of soil they were raised, that sort thing. Sandy soil best. Occasionally you will get some carrot with sort of soapy taste, those are kinda nasty. But in general I just chop super market carrots up raw into salad and they are fine. I dont want a big bowl of them, but otherwise they are fine. If you dont like raw carrots, try roasting them. https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...-any-vegetable

If you garden there are some super sweet hybrid varieties of carrot, no soap. Always wondered why they are not raised and sold commercially.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:44 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Slim Jims, Twinkees, Little Debbies, Cheetos, and all that other nasty gross synthesized foodish junk. None qualify as "food", and the body agrees in confusion of what they are.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:52 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
I hate pizza rolls (Totino's and similar). Ugh.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:01 PM

560 posts, read 581,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I'd say none of this stuff mentioned was designed with your health in mind, except maybe carrots. Anything with ingredients you cant even pronounce.... probably not all that healthy. Its more or less engineered only to hit your bliss point and get you to buy and eat ever more.

As to raw carrots, most commercial carrots are pretty bland. It depends kind of soil they were raised, that sort thing. Sandy soil best. Occasionally you will get some carrot with sort of soapy taste, those are kinda nasty. But in general I just chop super market carrots up raw into salad and they are fine. I dont want a big bowl of them, but otherwise they are fine. If you dont like raw carrots, try roasting them. https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...-any-vegetable

If you garden there are some super sweet hybrid varieties of carrot, no soap. Always wondered why they are not raised and sold commercially.
Indeed roasted carrots and other cooked methods in many dishes like in beef stew are amazing and delicious. In fact I'm planning to make beef stew this fall/winter. Just the raw kind as snacks that I have an issue with. I also want to make carrot cake. Since I'm not eating out as much due to the times, I'm doing all my cooking and the more dishes I add to the menu, the less I miss eating out. I'm always looking for new recipes/new dishes to add as I really enjoy cooking/baking.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:28 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
If you don't mind expanding into carnival food, I nominate deep fried Twinkies.
Four of us each took one bite, and we threw the rest away. Ugh!

Old 08-14-2020, 09:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

Very probably they are not able to be picked and held in storage for packing and then delivery. Grocery store produce is already a week old to a month old by the time you buy it. A lot of varieties are pick from the garden and straight to the table. They won’t last that long.

It’s also the same with floral products. A lot of the US rose growers are gone. We get our roses from out of the country. Which is why I hate roses, because to me they always smell like mold.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:25 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Mainstream American chocolate tastes like trash :/ gone are the days when chocolate bars were made of simple ingredients and had copious amounts of cocoa/cocoa butter. Vegetable oil and lots of sugar is poor chocolate. I much prefer Euro and other foreign chocolate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink