Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times

Advertisements

What's YOUR strangest ingredient?
I lived in Japan for a long time, and invented insane dishes there -- so here I add just a bit of Japanese soy sauce (not Chinese) to almost everything savory that I make. (Japanese is sweeter and Chinese is more bitter; I like the balance of sweetness with savory.)

I can never taste the soy sauce as itself. It just adds a mysterious "depth" or "breadth" of flavor that can't be identified but makes the dish more "Mmmmmmm, how did you get it to taste like this??". (My answer is always "I talked to it".)

"A bit" depends on the volume of the dish --

-- 4 or 5 drops per one scrambled (or omelette) egg before cooking, when I'm combining into a mixing bowl tiny pinches (per egg) of dried dill weed, dried cilantro, salt, garlic powder, dried chopped onions and black or white pepper -- break the egg into the bowl, let everything sit for a few minutes to moisten the dried ingredients, whisk like mad, cook. Mmmmmm

--1/2 teaspoon for a pot of 4 servings of New England clam chowder, along with all the other seasonings at the very beginning of cooking.

I add a bit of Japanese soy sauce, blended into the other liquids, to:
soups
hamburgers (about 3 drops each, lightly rubbed into the patty before cooking)
chicken a la king
spaghetti sauce
stews
pot roast
corned beef hash, even from a can
ceviche' marinade
paella
anything savory.

HAH!! My secret is OUT!! What's yours?

Last edited by allforcats; 05-02-2008 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 01:31 AM

424 posts, read 1,676,097 times
I have several, just depending on what assistance I wish to provide to the food. I use sumac, sesame oil, nutmeg, and/or rosemary in many different dishes, especially vegetable items.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I like Soy sauce but I also like Teryaki with some pineapple juice mixed in OR Worcestershire sauce as well.

Recently I have been making dark sauces and used Molasses in them along with Balsamic Vinegar, the Balsamic gives it such a good taste.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Recently I have been making dark sauces and used Molasses in them along with Balsamic Vinegar, the Balsamic gives it such a good taste.
OMG could you please adopt me?? Hahahaha

Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
I use sumac ...
Now this is one I haven't heard of! How do you use this? -- dried? Leaf? And what would you put it into? What does it taste like?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:17 AM

424 posts, read 1,676,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Now this is one I haven't heard of! How do you use this? -- dried? Leaf? And what would you put it into? What does it taste like?
Sumac is made from the leaves and/or berries of plants from the edible varieties of the sumac plant. It is commonly available in markets as a dried powder in the Middle East or Mediterranean sections of food stores, health food purveyors, etc. It has been used for centuries in the Mediterranean, the Balkans, Arabia, India, etc. and even in North America by the native tribes. Romans, Moors, and others prized it. It is reddish to purplish in color and gives and acidic tang to foods, often used in place of lemon juice, vinegar, etc. or in conjunction with them. The advantage of suma is that it is not as overpowering as lemon and vinegar can be yet it will still supply the desired acidic lift. It IS a powder, and does not dissolve completely, so some visible residue will be evident in the juices of the food. I use it on chicken and other meats, rice, vegetables, bread salad, skewered items, and such. Fresh juice from the berries can make a refreshing beverage. If using sumac, it is best to buy the commercial form from a reputable retail store or supplier. Only those with a good knowledge of plants should attempt to harvest and use the edible varieites found in North America because there ARE poisonous plants out there that can be mistaken for edible varieties. I buy mine, e.g. Ziyad Brand, in a store.

http://http://www.ziyad.com/ProdImages/Large/298_A0326.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ziyad.com/ProdImages/Large/298_A0326.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by buckhead; 05-02-2008 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: Edited to correct image tag

Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 AM

Holy moly, Buckhead! That's fascinating! Thank you. I grew up back east being admonished to stay away from the "poison sumac", so I never knew there was this whole world of The Suma! Thank you -- I shall investigate.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
My girlfriend will add garlic and Worcestershire to EVERYTHING she cooks....I'm dreading the day she serves French toast!

Then again, I'm not much better. Every dinner I make will have tomatoes in it.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,164 times
Texas Pete's hot sauce--- seems to enhance almost anything you can have for dinner

Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Not a weird ingredient but a use I never tried.

Made a meat sauce, was just OK, I expected a little better, knowing how butter finishes off a risotto I figured why not? Added just a few small pats to a large pot of sauce, gave it a much fuller, smoother taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink