Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 02:48 PM

148 posts, read 176,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The average age for a Millennial is 32 now. I think many of them are too busy yelling at their kids for spilling cereal on the floor to go to a cereal bar.
Many 32-year-olds don’t have kids. I am 27 and don’t have any kids, nor do I have any nieces or nephews (unless you count a half sibling I never met possibly having them or very young cousins I never met).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 02:56 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Seems like a gimmick that wouldn't support a full-time location.

I've seen it done 2 ways, neither in a traditional restaurant 'bricks & mortar' setting.

One was a food truck that would park at strategic places at specific times.

The other was a company that would come to your party or workplace and set up in your location for a couple hours for a flat fee.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:38 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
The one I went to did not have Lucky Charms. Nor did they serve Cocoa Wheats with raisins. So much for "cereal restaurants."

Old 10-02-2020, 05:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Here is a Covid-safe, DIY cereal restaurant:
My favorite part of that was cutting the box and using it like a bowl. When I was young that was like such an amazing thing that I couldn’t wrap my head around it.

Now my parents never bought me anything like that so that was definitely like a treat thing. Which kind of makes my childhood very sad sounding, but it wasn’t, so it’s OK.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:12 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My favorite part of that was cutting the box and using it like a bowl. When I was young that was like such an amazing thing that I couldn’t wrap my head around it.

Now my parents never bought me anything like that so that was definitely like a treat thing. Which kind of makes my childhood very sad sounding, but it wasn’t, so it’s OK.
I only got those one week a year when we went on the annual family summer vacation.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:38 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Chicago once had a place like that: Cereality, in the West Loop neighborhood. It was aimed at office workers fresh out of college (and therefore still kids at heart), presumably walking from the commuter train stations to their first jobs. Popular name-brand cereal was served, Saturday morning cartoons played on TV screens, and people sat on couches.

I tried it once, after a job interview downtown when I was young. The place was nothing special food-wise, and overpriced to boot. I think people went there for the "best of both worlds" experience of being an adult with all the childhood perks. The place folded after just a few years. In a bar-culture, blue-collar-minded city like Chicago, that was bound to happen.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:15 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Which list? I clicked on the link to a news station in Omaha but didn't see a national cereal restaurant list. I Yelped it (I am in LA) and everything exclusively cereal is closed.
Post #9, link #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Google. It is permanently closed.
Many places are currently closed because of coronavirus.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:31 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I am thinking this concept would go well, by colleges. Kids love that junk.
But will college kids spend $3.00 or more for a bowl of cereal when they can buy the whole box for $3.50?

Old 10-05-2020, 11:36 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Chicago once had a place like that: Cereality, in the West Loop neighborhood. It was aimed at office workers fresh out of college (and therefore still kids at heart), presumably walking from the commuter train stations to their first jobs. Popular name-brand cereal was served, Saturday morning cartoons played on TV screens, and people sat on couches.

I tried it once, after a job interview downtown when I was young. The place was nothing special food-wise, and overpriced to boot. I think people went there for the "best of both worlds" experience of being an adult with all the childhood perks. The place folded after just a few years. In a bar-culture, blue-collar-minded city like Chicago, that was bound to happen.
The cartoons and couches sound fun!

I was actually disappointed in the cereal bar on the boardwalk, because the girl who waited on me ruined my bowl of Lucky Charms by putting the milk in it BEFORE she rang me up. By the time I paid and got it to the table it was soggy. It seems like common sense to just put the milk on the side and let the customer put it on, to me it seemed like Cereal 101 to know that. When you order cereal in a diner they give you the little box with the milk in a little pitcher on the side.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:47 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But will college kids spend $3.00 or more for a bowl of cereal when they can buy the whole box for $3.50?
It's not really aimed at college kids. It's more aimed at young office workers, who started thrir first jobs, and have extra money to burn (or believe they do), since they're suddenly earning more than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink