U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 04:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 5,885,638 times

Advertisements

Over the past few months, I've been noticing something strange with the boneless, skinless chicken breasts I've been buying. I usually buy the family pack, and portion it out to freeze for future meals. At least one, and often many more breasts in the pack have this weird texture.

Kind of dry, flaky and not bouncy/resilient, but softer than the "good" meat and more mushy textured. Sometimes you can peel off an outside piece of the flesh like you could skin, except it's actual meat.

What is going on? Is there some kind of treatment these chicken breasts are getting that causes this or are the breasts decomposing? The date on the package is not even close to the expiration date, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Has anyone else encountered this? What could be causing this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 05:13 PM

5,063 posts, read 2,255,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Over the past few months, I've been noticing something strange with the boneless, skinless chicken breasts I've been buying. I usually buy the family pack, and portion it out to freeze for future meals. At least one, and often many more breasts in the pack have this weird texture.

Kind of dry, flaky and not bouncy/resilient, but softer than the "good" meat and more mushy textured. Sometimes you can peel off an outside piece of the flesh like you could skin, except it's actual meat.

What is going on? Is there some kind of treatment these chicken breasts are getting that causes this or are the breasts decomposing? The date on the package is not even close to the expiration date, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Has anyone else encountered this? What could be causing this?
I know I have have issues in the past with boneless chicken breast. Sometimes it comes out with a weird texture, even when I make it exactly the same way.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:22 PM

5,121 posts, read 8,795,426 times
I haven’t noticed, but then again, I buy them for my dogs not me. The dogs don’t care.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:51 PM

20,659 posts, read 61,815,817 times
Just a guess, but many meats are injected with a solution to add water weight, so you pay for water rather than the meat or fish. If such meat gets frozen in transport or processing, the meat might get torn by the freezing.

Solution? - TAKE IT BACK. I am serious. You will not only be doing yourself a favor, but advocating for all of us consumers.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 PM

10,310 posts, read 5,986,936 times
If we want chicken we go grab one out of the coop, 30 minutes from pen to pan. Always fresh and always tasty.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:40 PM

47,458 posts, read 68,251,208 times
What I noticed at our grocery store - the chicken breast is often previously frozen. If you freeze it again at home, you get a mushy meat when you cook it.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:21 PM

19,414 posts, read 26,662,970 times
Since 10 yrs ago most chicken parts gets one final
Bath or soaking to kill bacteria

If a solution is injected .. it must me marked
As such

Most prepackaged poultry will have a moisture
Declaration ,... “ up to 2-3%” water weight

If you are disappointed in the house brand or private label
Buy a premium name ... we sell springer mountain farm chicken
And get many compliments

Old 10-20-2020, 06:15 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,074,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I haven’t noticed, but then again, I buy them for my dogs not me. The dogs don’t care.
well then I am glad you haven't noticed. I would hate to think you were eating the dogs food!

Old 10-20-2020, 06:16 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,074,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just a guess, but many meats are injected with a solution to add water weight, so you pay for water rather than the meat or fish. If such meat gets frozen in transport or processing, the meat might get torn by the freezing.

Solution? - TAKE IT BACK. I am serious. You will not only be doing yourself a favor, but advocating for all of us consumers.
I was thinking something similar or maybe hormones, but whatever I have noticed this just a little, not like the OP.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:01 AM

8,438 posts, read 6,852,717 times
I am thinking it was frozen, thawed, and then frozen again. Each time a meat is frozen it forms ice crystals and expands. The ice crystals have sharp little edges that cut into the meat a tiny bit, thawing and refreezing causes the crystals to melt and then form again, actually creating twice as many little cuts which probably messes with the texture of the meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink