U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 01:23 PM

18,532 posts, read 24,885,855 times

Advertisements

I'm not fond of smoked cheese, but I see smoked provolone regularly in recipes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 04:39 AM

5,712 posts, read 3,200,745 times
Smoking cheese sounds like one hell of a process! I mean, grated parmesan can be poured into pre-made rolling papers, but anything softer would need to be put into an old-fashioned pipe, or something. Not to mention, most cheeses would just melt and fall on the ground, instead of burning and producing smoke. Oh wait... wrong "smoking".

I second the provolone choice. It's very common to see it smoked. Even mid-level mainstream supermarkets sell it. Smoked fresh mozzarella is good too. People earlier mentioned smoking cheddar. I have not seen that one sold as smoked, but it sounds very appetizing. Oh, and pimiento; if you can get that soft spread into a smoker somehow, I'm sure it'll come out wonderful. Maybe experiment with ethnic cheeses too, like oaxaca or paneer.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:25 AM

5,134 posts, read 5,876,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Oh, and pimiento; if you can get that soft spread into a smoker somehow,
I may have to try that, once it gets colder.

This is what I use. Very simple - just load with pellets and set in the bottom of an empty grill.
https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet.../dp/B007ROPJ1M

Old 10-30-2020, 07:29 AM

14,914 posts, read 18,707,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Smoking cheese sounds like one hell of a process! I mean, grated parmesan can be poured into pre-made rolling papers, but anything softer would need to be put into an old-fashioned pipe, or something. Not to mention, most cheeses would just melt and fall on the ground, instead of burning and producing smoke. Oh wait... wrong "smoking".

I second the provolone choice. It's very common to see it smoked. Even mid-level mainstream supermarkets sell it. Smoked fresh mozzarella is good too. People earlier mentioned smoking cheddar. I have not seen that one sold as smoked, but it sounds very appetizing. Oh, and pimiento; if you can get that soft spread into a smoker somehow, I'm sure it'll come out wonderful. Maybe experiment with ethnic cheeses too, like oaxaca or paneer.
I just bought some smoked white cheddar for the first time last month. Oh boy, it was yum, especially on a thick juicy burger, or in my home made baked mac-n-cheese.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:57 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,358,077 times
I would say the three most commonly found smoked cheeses in American are gouda, provolone, and cheddar. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these types.

While I am not generally a huge fan of smoked cheeses, someone gifted me a smoked white cheddar from Herkimer, New York that was one of the best cheese experiences I ever had. It had a defined smoke ring like you find in smoked meats and was just such a thing of beauty. I used some of it in sourdough grilled cheese sandwiches, but the rest I ate on water crackers or just cubed because I didn't want to "waste" it by cooking it or mixing it with other ingredients.

If you experiment outside the commonly smoked cheeses, do come back and tell us about it.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:11 PM

10,767 posts, read 11,226,142 times
I have seen smoked gouda, mozzarella, and provolone sold in the local supermarkets in my area. It would be fun to try to smoke them yourself.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:41 AM

10,249 posts, read 6,325,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

/but the rest I ate on water crackers or just cubed because I didn't want to "waste" it by cooking it or mixing it with other ingredients.
LOL I love the way you worded that and totally get it. Perfect.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:03 AM

13,204 posts, read 11,713,253 times
I like havarti, tilsit, edam, butter cheese, esrom that are hickory cold smoked. Maple or apple woods are nice for cold smoking butter cheese and esrom too. Doing it cold takes longer to process than hot smoked but the patience and diligence is well worth it.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:30 AM

30,229 posts, read 41,337,920 times
Tillamook makes an exceptionally good extra aged white cheddar in a two pound block. It turns out that the extra aged white cheddar is even better smoked. It turned out great.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:49 AM

78,985 posts, read 73,014,599 times
I love smoked cheddar and smoked gouda. I do not have a smoker, but I hereby volunteer to taste-test all experimentations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink