Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 12:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Tilda rice is quite popular in the UK.
I get Tilda basamati rice as well. Made pilaf with it today .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 01:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That’s interesting, because I thought I must be the only one who had this experience. People go ga-ga over Lundberg, I suspect because it is grown in the USA.

There is a lot of rice that is grown in the US. I think that MOST people are not that brand conscious for rice.

Lundberg was one of the first to promote its products as organic so maybe that is the appeal.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:56 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Not an Indian but married to one and only cooks Basmati rice at home. We get ours from Costco (Royal Basmati). The really good ones are really good and fragrant but expensive, so for everyday cooking we stick with Costco.

Cooking rice Indian style is simple: after you wash it thoroughly (my sister in law soaks her rice before cooking, I don’t because I’m too lazy), you boil the rice with water and let it boil uncovered until it’s cooked (about 15 mins or so from when the water starts to boil). Strain the rice in a colander like you would pasta. Done. The rice comes out soft, fluffy, and the grain doesn’t stick to each other like rice cake the way it does when you cook it traditionally.

When I feel like it, I would heat up 1 TBS of oil separately and toast a small handful of cumin seeds for 5-10 seconds until they pop, turn off stove, and pour the cumin seeds + oil into the cooked rice, mix it up, voila, you get cumin spiced basmati rice.
Yes, Costco has the best price on Royal rice which makes the best Saffron Rice!

I rinse the rice until the water runs clear and then let it drain while I cook a little chopped onion in butter. When the onion is soft add a little red pepper if you like, or your favorite veggies like chopped tomatoes for tomato rice. Don't forget a little salt, favorite spices and toast. Toss in the drained rice and stir it up a bit - then cover with water to about one and half inches above the rice. Since it is a hard grain, boil it quickly on high heat until the water is level with the rice then you will see holes on the surface. Turn off the heat and cover until the water is absorbed, then pour the rice onto a platter to rest. It is important to turn out the rice or the rice on the bottom will be crushed and become mushy if allowed to cool in the hot pot.

We also like to cook plain rice and then squeeze a good bit of fresh lemon juice all over it.

We like it with a little sour cream or plain yogurt on top.

Enjoy

Last edited by Heidi60; 11-23-2020 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-23-2020, 10:05 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I bought a microwavable packet of basmati a couple weeks ago at Aldi. I had some Korean style steak and sauce I bought at Costco yesterday.

The rice at 90 seconds in the microwave was fine - as good as what I've had out to eat recently. I microwaved that, seared the steak in a nonstick skillet, stirred in the sauce at a low temp to warm the sauce up and the beef hot, then laid it over the rice and chopped up some green onions I had into the dish for dinner tonight. It was one of the few things I've cooked recently that was actually tasty. I have a big bunch of chicken tikka masala from Costco and may go up to Aldi for another few packets of rice tomorrow. I'm no chef, but my cooking is improving a lot.

Even the "easy prepare" rice is so cheap to most everything else I eat, especially at Aldi, that cost isn't an issue.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I just buy bags of extra long grain basmati rice in the Indian grocery store, do 2:1 water/rice in the rice cooker, and it always comes out perfectly. At the moment, I'm using Daawat Ultima extra long grain.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:24 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
It is also used for yummy dosa batters...look for a huge variety of recipes online.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:28 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I have Khazana right now and usually rinse it well, use a little oil to warm some green cardamom pods and cumin seeds with salt and if I have some, saffron, measure the water by eye, and the house smells magnificent.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:04 AM

283 posts, read 729,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Not an Indian but married to one and only cooks Basmati rice at home. We get ours from Costco (Royal Basmati).

What is a good price per pound for basmati rice? I'm looking online and I'm not seeing much under $1/pound. I found a 20 lb bag of Royal Basmati for $18.50, not sure if that is a good price.

Old 06-25-2021, 02:02 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
What is a good price per pound for basmati rice? I'm looking online and I'm not seeing much under $1/pound. I found a 20 lb bag of Royal Basmati for $18.50, not sure if that is a good price.
$1 a pound is a good price. I used to aim for $1.50 and not always manage.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:22 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Not crazy about white rice, but like basmati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink