Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 05:24 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Carps are actually very delicious. The texture is similar to a seabass and the flavor is not fishy at all since it's a fresh water fish.

The only problem with carp is that it's got a lot of bones and fins.
I too like carp, but here its only available at Christmas time. Carp from the Upper Mississippi River is a very good fish to eat ( and so is walleye). Used to buy it alive, but not in Texas.

I can cook several different dishes from it. It's very tasty in aspic, as a fish soup, cooked, broiled, baked and pan fried.

The bones are easy to remove if you know how to do it.
(see numerous YouTube tutorials)

I love pan fried, crispy fish skin. It has to be descaled first, which isn't rocket science either, at least to me - I saw it done many, many times at the fisher boats in my hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I eat fish all the time..........mostly canned and frozen. Most decent quality fresh-fish is too expensive for my budget.

I would love to find an affordable source of fresh-fish that has decent level
of Omega-3.....I would gladly buy and eat carp.
Keep an eye on the local news when they will open a H-Mart store in your town. Their fish is very fresh and affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I ate a lot of fish growing up (grew up part time in Italy) and have no problem eating whole fish and picking the bones out. A whole fish doesn't need to include the head if that's what turns people off. And BTW, $5.99 a pound for fish is cheap where I live. Any decent fish will cost twice that much.
I would love to try carp, but it's not sold here.
Same here and I agree that $5.99/lb fish is very affordable where I live. Decent fish cost 3x more.

I prefer to order whole fish or a slice of it bones included. Then I know for sure that I eat what I pay for.
Fishy fakes are sadly very common.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eport/1927065/

Last edited by Beretta; 11-08-2020 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 05:58 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Keep an eye on the local news when they will open a H-Mart store in your town. Their fish is very fresh and affordable.
Sadly, I've found H-Mart to be very expensive out by me (in the DMV area). There are much cheaper international supermarkets that serve fresh, high quality and cheap seafood. One is L.A. Mart in Alexandria. I may have to make a trip over there today, actually!

Old 11-08-2020, 06:00 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
As a kid, I caught a lot of carp in the Potomac. My dad and uncles always ordered a summary execution. We usually brought them home to use as fertilizer in the garden.

One day I caught a good sized one and insisted we eat it. So we did.

Tasted like mud.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:03 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Sadly, I've found H-Mart to be very expensive out by me (in the DMV area). There are much cheaper international supermarkets that serve fresh, high quality and cheap seafood. One is L.A. Mart in Alexandria. I may have to make a trip over there today, actually!
Looks like their prices vary depending on location. They are probably the cheapest trusted place to buy quality fresh fish where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
As a kid, I caught a lot of carp in the Potomac. My dad and uncles always ordered a summary execution. We usually brought them home to use as fertilizer in the garden.

One day I caught a good sized one and insisted we eat it. So we did.

Tasted like mud.
That's the result of improper handling.
Freshly caught carp need to come straight out of the water and go onto ice immediately.

If that doesn't happen, that's where that muddy taste comes from. The muddy taste is actually the histamines within the fish. As the body temperature rises through stress the histamine levels get going up and produce muddy taste.
Keep the body temperature down right away and you will avoid the muddy taste.

To make the fish taste more delicate, you also could remove the mud vein (a dark band of flesh along the center of the fish)

Last edited by Beretta; 11-08-2020 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-08-2020, 07:19 AM

20,646 posts, read 4,421,087 times
No reason not to try it. It's very easy to prepare.

Filet Asian Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mEGOclZO6o

Filet & Cook Asian Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faZqIdGi87k

Ground Asian Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7VXgzg4L-U

Old 11-08-2020, 07:51 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A friend of mine runs three Greek restaurants in Chicagoland. He told me that the WORST mistake in his career was serving whole fish, head-on when he first started. A long-term customer sent it back as he hated his meal "looking back at him." He argues with the customer saying that he was wrong. He lost a good customer.
That is my view - no eyes looking back. I know the head and bones add a lot of flavor. Just remove the head before you serve it to me.

Likewise with pork. I love a whole hog pig picking, just leave off the head. It seems more respectable to the animal.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:58 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why Americans not eating more Asian Carp Varieties? They are invasive. We need to do what we can to reduce them, instead of eating unsustainable ocean varieties like Yellow Fin Tunas, and Groupers, etc etc. We are depleting the oceans.
Eating carp would not reduce their populations. If carp became that popular, the species would be protected and stocked.

See also:
Pheasants (invasive from China)
Brown trout (invasive from Europe)

Old 11-08-2020, 07:59 AM

416 posts, read 408,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't want them in my area, but if I had access to them, my dogs would be eating a lot of fish. Fish makes great dog food, but is too expensive to feed to dogs except when the family fisherman brings home a bunch of kokanee. A lot of pounds of free carp would be put to good use.

I don't much like fish and a bunch of little bones in my dinner is a serious turnoff.
Somehow I never thought dogs could eat fish. Interesting. Adding as #17 reason to my get-a-boat-justification-list. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2020, 11:46 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I can't wait until I can get to a restaurant that serves a whole fish that is something other than a tilapia.
Cantonese seafood restaurant serve whole live fish, steamed, or pan fried

Old 11-08-2020, 11:53 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Eating carp would not reduce their populations. If carp became that popular, the species would be protected and stocked.

See also:
Pheasants (invasive from China)
Brown trout (invasive from Europe)
Then how are we drastically reducing other fish by overfishing? Perhaps we cant farm those species. But anyways, we can certainly reduce unwanted species by just overfishing. Stocking and protecting wont come into play until after the population is reduced to acceptable levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink