Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 10:49 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Why Americans not eating more Asian Carp Varieties? They are invasive. We need to do what we can to reduce them, instead of eating unsustainable ocean varieties like Yellow Fin Tunas, and Groupers, etc etc. We are depleting the oceans.

https://www.wildrevelation.com/fish-...or-asian-carp/

Quotes from article:

"Unbeknownst to most Americans, the invasive silver and bighead Asian carp are two of the healthiest and most delicious fish in the world! In thousands of blind taste tests, they’ve been preferred almost unanimously over other popular eating fish."

"The common carp of the US are regarded as filthy, bottom-feeding, sucker-mouthed “trash fish” that are good for little more than punching in the face and throwing in a ditch to rot."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/eat-t...carp_n_6324896

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/c...eat-asian-carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enSdb-zyqfM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 12:17 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
I'd cook them if I saw them at the markets by me.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why Americans not eating more Asian Carp Varieties? They are invasive. We need to do what we can to reduce them, instead of eating unsustainable ocean varieties like Yellow Fin Tunas, and Groupers, etc etc. We are depleting the oceans.

Quotes from article:

"Unbeknownst to most Americans, the invasive silver and bighead Asian carp are two of the healthiest and most delicious fish in the world! In thousands of blind taste tests, they’ve been preferred almost unanimously over other popular eating fish."

I have had this discussion ad nauseum on several occasions.

First, most Americans will NOT eat a fish that is served whole. I have probably talked to dozens of Italian and Greek chefs that served whole fish when they first opened and ended up moving to filets. Personally, I prefer a whole fish as they cannot BS you on what variety of fish you are being served.

Second, many Americans will not try any fish if there are any bones in it. My DW is that way. I can get some great fish and she will not touch it if there might be bones. I eat the good fish and she has the fish sticks. No kidding.

Third, much of the Asian Carp that is caught on the Illinois River is processed, frozen, and sold to the Asian markets overseas. They will eat the fish. If it is properly processed, the Asian carp is clean and pretty mild flesh.

Fourth, What I have not figured out is this. Many Americans have no aversion to eating a minced fish product. Head to the supermarket and you will see a lot of it in the freezer section. How some processor has not figured out how to debone a carp so that its meat can be minced and formed, is beyond me.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:24 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I eat fish all the time..........mostly canned and frozen. Most decent quality fresh-fish is too expensive for my budget.

I would love to find an affordable source of fresh-fish that has decent level
of Omega-3.....I would gladly buy and eat carp.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Carps are actually very delicious. The texture is similar to a seabass and the flavor is not fishy at all since it's a fresh water fish. I often prefer a fresh water fish for frying than ocean fish since the fishness can be difficult to mask when fried.

The only problem with carp is that it's got a lot of bones and fins. I'm an avid seafood eater so I can easily pick out the bones but not many Americans willing to put up with it.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:52 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have had this discussion ad nauseum on several occasions.

First, most Americans will NOT eat a fish that is served whole. I have probably talked to dozens of Italian and Greek chefs that served whole fish when they first opened and ended up moving to filets. Personally, I prefer a whole fish as they cannot BS you on what variety of fish you are being served.

Second, many Americans will not try any fish if there are any bones in it. My DW is that way. I can get some great fish and she will not touch it if there might be bones. I eat the good fish and she has the fish sticks. No kidding.

Third, much of the Asian Carp that is caught on the Illinois River is processed, frozen, and sold to the Asian markets overseas. They will eat the fish. If it is properly processed, the Asian carp is clean and pretty mild flesh.

Fourth, What I have not figured out is this. Many Americans have no aversion to eating a minced fish product. Head to the supermarket and you will see a lot of it in the freezer section. How some processor has not figured out how to debone a carp so that its meat can be minced and formed, is beyond me.
Spot on!!!
Well said!!

Old 11-07-2020, 06:41 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't want them in my area, but if I had access to them, my dogs would be eating a lot of fish. Fish makes great dog food, but is too expensive to feed to dogs except when the family fisherman brings home a bunch of kokanee. A lot of pounds of free carp would be put to good use.

I don't much like fish and a bunch of little bones in my dinner is a serious turnoff.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:37 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,233,950 times
I eat carp a lot. It’s tasty but expensive. $5.99 a pound.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:46 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Spot on!!!
Well said!!

A friend of mine runs three Greek restaurants in Chicagoland. He told me that the WORST mistake in his career was serving whole fish, head-on when he first started. A long-term customer sent it back as he hated his meal "looking back at him." He argues with the customer saying that he was wrong. He lost a good customer.

When the owner wrote the history of his restaurants for their 50th anniversary, that story made it as one of his learning experience.

I can't wait until I can get to a restaurant that serves a whole fish that is something other than a tilapia.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:08 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
I ate a lot of fish growing up (grew up part time in Italy) and have no problem eating whole fish and picking the bones out. A whole fish doesn't need to include the head if that's what turns people off. And BTW, $5.99 a pound for fish is cheap where I live. Any decent fish will cost twice that much.
I would love to try carp, but it's not sold here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink