Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2020, 04:02 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I was raised to always have greens and black eyed peas on New Years day and you would have money all year. Its worked so far and I’m not taking a chance this year, so tomorrow, we will have ham, black eyed peas, turnip greens, pepper sauce for the greens, corn bread and a sweet potato pie and of course sweet tea. I can hardly wait.
Well, it turned out wonderful. I had some corn bread left over, so I crumbled it up and put it in the “Pot Likker”.
Um, um good. Happy New Year and prosperity to every one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I heard of the black-eyed peas superstition from coworkers. I never ate or even heard of any of those foods except ham until I was an adult. (Had sweet potatoes growing up, but didn't know some people put them in a pie.)

Now I like them all. Enjoy your dinner, and I hope it works again!
Another food I didn't grow up with but I eat quite a bit of - Black eyed peas.

I can have black eyed peas, cornbread, as mustard greens as a light supper. I love to sop the pot liquor up with the cornbread.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:14 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
I made chili topped with cheese, cornbread on the side with chocolate for dessert.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:08 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
early on it was at my grandmothers house in Kennebunkport she would order Omaha steaks (tenderloins) and dad would cook them on the grill..... us kids loved going to visit we would all raise our drinks ...even if soda for a new years toast …

after that (early 70's) then dad took over the new years party …. he's a lobster-fisherman that would go scalloping/shrimping in the winter …. he would make this grand seafood chowder … with lobster/scallops/shrimp all as fresh as can be and loaded... in the chowda ….
we would also have steamer clams and mussels us kids would dig and pick...and they'd be soaking in butter with little fondue sticks …
as teenagers we were allowed to have some cold-duck … a glass.

unfortunately no more family parties...…. everyone seems to want to stay off the roads and not go out - I feel the same..
so this year... I cooked something different /delicious a sirloin strip roast on the big George rotisserie.... cooked medium rare......melt in our mouths- good!!!

we can barely stay awake til midnight

Old 01-01-2020, 06:16 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I was raised to always have greens and black eyed peas on New Years day and you would have money all year. Its worked so far and I’m not taking a chance this year, so tomorrow, we will have ham, black eyed peas, turnip greens, pepper sauce for the greens, corn bread and a sweet potato pie and of course sweet tea. I can hardly wait.
Well, if it doesn't do anything for your pocketbook it sounds like it's still going to be good for your soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I do pork and sauerkraut, which I understand is a PA area tradition.
Why am I not surprised? It's common in Scandinavian countries and is on the menu for the week. Mine will be with ribs and a gift of homemade kraut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
These days, one has to have already achieved prosperity to afford that rib roast!
Snickering. Later this week I'm making fattigman,Norwegian poor man's cookies. They call them that because by the time you buy all the ingredients, guess what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Among Scandinavians fish seafood and herring are popular.
That's what we're doing. No more lutefisk for us. We've suffered enough.

We have shrimp cocktail, garlic bread, relishes, bacon cheese spread with crackers and the time-honored rice pudding with raspberries and blackberries. Whipped cream with cardamom. Some years I buy the traditional lingonberries.

“Godt Nytt År, takk for det gamle” Happy New Year, thank you for the past year to all.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:04 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Same tradition, then and now. New Year's eve is usually steak or a standing rib roast. New Years day is black eyed peas and ham hock with corn bread.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I hope the New Year has you feeling better very soon!
Thank you. Enjoy your vegan new years feast!

Cold Duck is still in production. A few new years ago a neighbor invited me for a drink of champagne...turned out to be Cold Duck. What a shock! I thought that stuff had disappeared years ago.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
My parents friends would all come over for appetizers and then they would be in black tie and go to the club. Us kids would have a big sleepover at one of the parents houses with the babysitter(s).

I remember things like relish trays, celery stuffed with creme cheese, cheese and ritz crackers, etc.

Old school food and drinks.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:31 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,953 times
I remember that when I was fifteen and older (many moons ago) on New Year's Eve, my parents and I sat at the dining room table and enjoyed a few alcoholic drinks. New Year's Eve was the only day of the year that my father drank.

He drank shots of Polish vodka, and my mother drank a few glasses of her beloved gin and tonic.

My father bought me a case of Molson Ex, eh? A whole twelve!

A year or so later, I was allowed to invite a friend over, as long as my mother cleared the beer drinking with my friend's parents.

We had a spread of deli food on the table for snacking on New Year's Eve. Rye bread, cheeses and various meats, pates, etc.

My friend at the time was trying to become a vegetarian but she couldn't resist the kielbasa.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
remember while cooking beans or peas don't add salt at the beginning it makes the skins hard learned that from a southern cooking show . add while cooking .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink