Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 03:19 AM

283 posts, read 729,210 times

Advertisements

I don't cook much, but I decided to make Thanksgiving dinner this year for the first time in my life.

I got a 10 pound frozen turkey that was pre-basted with 9.5% broth/salt/sugar/flavoring.

I was looking at a couple of recipes that called for rubbing an herb butter all over the turkey. One of the recipes said to use one stick of unsalted butter and 4 tablespoons of kosher salt for the herb butter, and the other recipe said to use 2 sticks of unsalted butter and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. I decided to go with 1 stick of unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt.

I used the drippings from the turkey to make the gravy, and I didn't add any salt to the gravy. But the gravy still tasted extremely salty.

Was that because I used too much salt in the herb butter? Maybe I should have used 1 teaspoon instead of 2 tablespoons? Or are pre-basted turkeys just really salty in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 07:39 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Two tablespoons of salt is way too much, 4 TB is insane. Never trust internet recipes, most have errors and many are written by people who have never cooked a meal in their lives. Yes, the prepped turkeys are already pre-salted with a “solution” that makes the bird weigh more and also helps keep the meat moist. But it comes out during cooking as salt in the pan juices.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:44 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Its a bit late for a turkey lesson now, but in future, cut way back on the salt in recipes and if it isn't enough, you can add salt at the table.

The newer a recipe is, the more likely it is to call for too much salt and too much sugar. My mother's cookbook from the 50's doesn't have that problem. But with new recipes and recipes off the internet, you have to be careful

Your turkey was pre-basted with a salt solution, so no need to a add any more salt to the bird.

If you can remember next year (or for Christmas) come here and ask for suggestions for rubs and bastings for turkeys. You will probably get some good suggestions to choose from.

And veering off topic, I wonder why a recipe called for unsalted butter and then added salt by the multiple tablespoons. Odd.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:48 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
A tip not really related:

I'm assuming you salt your potatoes before boiling them to make mashed potatoes.

Add the potato water to the turkey pan drippings to make your gravy. That takes care of the salt in the gravy (unless you've really salted the turkey down as you apparently did).

Old 11-28-2020, 11:37 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Something that works sometimes. Adding raw Irish potato will draw the salt out of broth. If it happens again, deglaze the pan and add whatever water you are going to use. Taste before you thicken the gravy and if it is too salty, simmer some cubes of potato in the broth for awhile and see if that will reduce the saltiness.

It might work. At least it is worth a try.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:14 PM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A tip not really related:

I'm assuming you salt your potatoes before boiling them to make mashed potatoes.

Add the potato water to the turkey pan drippings to make your gravy. That takes care of the salt in the gravy (unless you've really salted the turkey down as you apparently did).
Thank you! The starch also thickens the gravy.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:15 PM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Something that works sometimes. Adding raw Irish potato will draw the salt out of broth. If it happens again, deglaze the pan and add whatever water you are going to use. Taste before you thicken the gravy and if it is too salty, simmer some cubes of potato in the broth for awhile and see if that will reduce the saltiness.

If salty gravy was the only oops you did well! Next year - post on CD BEFORE you are in the kitchen.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
All that salt in the butter was absolutely not necessary. I also don't use a pre-basted turkey because of the salt. Choose one or the other - pre-basted or butter rub, but not both and eliminate salt. It's actually quite easy to baste yourself. I cook my turkey in a covered roaster (yes, 25# will fit in my giant roaster) for a minimum 1 hr less than recommended time. I take the cover off for the last hour to crisp the skin and at that time, I spoon some of the juice over the turkey - basting it with it's own juice. My turkeys are always super moist and tender.

I've been cooking for 60 years and never had a turkey be dry.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
I don't cook much, but I decided to make Thanksgiving dinner this year for the first time in my life.

I got a 10 pound frozen turkey that was pre-basted with 9.5% broth/salt/sugar/flavoring.

I was looking at a couple of recipes that called for rubbing an herb butter all over the turkey. One of the recipes said to use one stick of unsalted butter and 4 tablespoons of kosher salt for the herb butter, and the other recipe said to use 2 sticks of unsalted butter and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. I decided to go with 1 stick of unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt.

I used the drippings from the turkey to make the gravy, and I didn't add any salt to the gravy. But the gravy still tasted extremely salty.

Was that because I used too much salt in the herb butter? Maybe I should have used 1 teaspoon instead of 2 tablespoons? Or are pre-basted turkeys just really salty in general?
Those recipes are heavily salted. I would never use tablespoons of salt in gravy. You're not making a banquet sized portion of gravy. Always start off with a little and taste it, then add more if it needs it.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

How do you get a potato from Ireland when you live in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink