Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 09:26 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Well...I got a reply from the Jiffy Mix folks when I contacted them, and here it is:

Hello, TheShadow:

Thank you for visiting our website, and for taking the time to contact us. Using one package of “JIFFY” Corn Muffin Mix in an 8 X 8 pan will produce a cornbread that is about 1” thick. We do recommend 2 packages for a 10” cast iron skillet. We assure you the package contains the same 8.5 ounces it always has, and the recipe has not changed.

For a thicker bread, we can recommend preparing 2 boxes in an 8 X 8 pan. Simply double the recipe, using 2/3 cup milk and 2 eggs, and bake at 400° for 21-25 minutes. Oven temperatures can vary, so it is always a good idea to watch closely and check with a toothpick until you know the optimal time for your oven. Or, see our recipe for “Skillet Cornbread”.

We are sorry to learn you feel the Corn Muffin Mix has been unsatisfactory. If you have packages that are not rising at all, then either the mix is very old, or something is otherwise wrong with it. Without having the mix in question here to test, we cannot be definitive in our answer. We are sending you a copy of our “JIFFY” Mixes recipe book, and a gift package containing four packages of our Corn Muffin Mix with the hope that these will be up to the original quality and taste you are used to. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.

If you feel the packages we sent are still unsatisfactory please call us and let us know. We can be reached at 800-727-2460, M-F 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM ET.

Again, we appreciate you taking the time to contact us about this. We make every effort to present to you, our consumer, the very best product possible and we have been doing just that for 90 years.

So there we have it I guess. According to them, the size of the contents hasn't changed, and we had a box of old mix with dead baking powder. What I think happened was maybe a batch went out with a smaller than normal load of product in it. That's why more than one of us noticed it. I recently bought a bag of another product that had 24 small packets of trail mix in it. 3 of the packs were unopened, but empty. Apparently something went haywire in the factory. Something like that COULD have happened at Jiffy. Who's to say. I will give them a try again, but I won't be making it in my skillet anymore. After the boxes they send me are gone, I think I will go the route of making from scratch, because I just read the ingredients on the box and there are an awful lot of preservatives and mystery chemicals in there.
That was a very complete and detailed response that you received from the folks at Jiffy! Someone's definitely doing their job in the customer service department.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I like to add sharp Vermont Cheddar myself.

I like cheddar, some chopped pickled Jalepenos, and some canned creamed corn.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Oh because of this thread, when walking through Walmart, saw Jiffy Corn Bread in middle of aisle, 49cents a box. LOL, I remember Mom would buy it when on sale cause it was cheap. Think it would go on sale 10/$1 or something like that, maybe cheaper. Regular price was like 20cents a box. These times, they are a changing.

A few years ago, Jiffy's CEO was interviewed on TV, either 60 Minutes or CBS Sunday Morning IIRC. What's stuck with me is the interviewer apparently said something about the low price and the response was 'We could probably sell it for more but choose not to'.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A few years ago, Jiffy's CEO was interviewed on TV, either 60 Minutes or CBS Sunday Morning IIRC. What's stuck with me is the interviewer apparently said something about the low price and the response was 'We could probably sell it for more but choose not to'.
I remember seeing that. It makes sense given the Depression-era roots of the mixes and the acknowledgment that for a lot of busy people who may or may not be on a budget, those mixes can be a godsend. No eggs or milk? Other things can be substituted with reasonably good results. Generally, I bake from scratch, but I always keep a box or two on hand to add to a meal that might be looking a little skimpy. I'll also make waffles or pancakes with the mix or toss a box in with my camping gear for campfire cooking purposes.

They're grown with the times as there is now a vegetarian version of their cornbread mix. (The original has lard in it.)

Old 12-09-2020, 10:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
What a nice and thorough response! I saw Jiffy Cornbread Mix boxes on sale yesterday and immediately thought of this thread.

Has nobody else used Martha White’s Cornbread Mix? IIRC, it contained only a few basic ingredients and turned out fine, tastewise. They are inexpensive, also.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:28 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty

I'll also make waffles or pancakes with the mix or toss a box in with my camping gear for campfire cooking purposes.

YES!!!! I sometimes make corncakes aka pancakes made with Jiffy cornbread mix. I just add more milk until the consistency is right and then cooked same method as pancakes. I used to make a huge batch and keep them in the freezer. They are good served as either sweet or savory.

One meal for instance, was putting chili over the corncake, adding cheese, a fried egg, and topped with salsa & sour cream.

They can also be eaten with maple syrup, fruit, powdered sugar, or jams, etc, and IMO these taste waaaay better than regular pancakes!

(Damn, I'm getting hungry! )

Old 12-09-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
What a nice and thorough response! I saw Jiffy Cornbread Mix boxes on sale yesterday and immediately thought of this thread.

Has nobody else used Martha White’s Cornbread Mix? IIRC, it contained only a few basic ingredients and turned out fine, tastewise. They are inexpensive, also.
I like it, too. Jiffy's ubiquitous around here (and it's sold at Aldi where I do most of my basic shopping), but I've bought the M.W. brand from time to time.

What I like about both brands is that one box makes just enough for three to four people at a given meal, provided that no one is a hungry teenager.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Oh because of this thread, when walking through Walmart, saw Jiffy Corn Bread in middle of aisle, 49cents a box. LOL, I remember Mom would buy it when on sale cause it was cheap. Think it would go on sale 10/$1 or something like that, maybe cheaper. Regular price was like 20cents a box. These times, they are a changing.

What items have the same price as they had 30 years ago?

Old 12-09-2020, 02:25 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Spoon bread is NOT sweet. No sugar added whatsoever. It is side dish like mashed potatoes or rice or noodles.
Exactly. Even Indian Pudding, a corn bread based, New England desert isn't all that sweet. Which may be why I love it.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:14 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I like it, too. Jiffy's ubiquitous around here (and it's sold at Aldi where I do most of my basic shopping), but I've bought the M.W. brand from time to time.

What I like about both brands is that one box makes just enough for three to four people at a given meal, provided that no one is a hungry teenager.
Yes that’s where I bought it. I wonder if Aldis has a special packaging with smaller amount of mix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.