Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do if you found a bug in your food at a restaurant?
Send my food back and have it replaced and continue my meal 22 40.74%
Give them another chance at some point in the future 3 5.56%
Consider going back only after they passed an inspection or convinced me in some other way the problem had been addressed 2 3.70%
Never go back 27 50.00%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 04:26 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,077,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A funny story. I enjoyed a big salad at a favorite restaurant. When I got got down to the very bottom there was a poor, little living lady bug. Yikes!

Glad I saw it in time - both for it and for me.

When I went to pay I told the hostess and she offered to comp my meal. But since i had eaten and enjoyed the whole thing and didn't suffer any trauma from seeing the bug it didn't seem to be fair to the restaurant.

We all eat bugs or parts of bugs in our food every day. I've eaten plenty of them by accident camping and cycling as well. I just don't want to know I've eaten a bug. That's the worst!
That's exactly how I feel.

I've posted before about how I found a live moth in a box of prewashed field greens. I don't know how long it had been in there, but it had survived being in the refrigerator, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This reminds me of a time when I was very young. My mom was cutting up some fresh broccoli at home and I suddenly noticed a little green caterpillar crawling away from the bunch. I pointed it out in some shock, and Mom just said casually, "Oh, this must be really good broccoli. Look how healthy he is!"

I've been pretty nonchalant about finding bugs on and around food ever since. I do draw the line at bugs that have been cooked IN the food, though.
I once was getting ready to wash and chop some broccoli and it was just infested with these tiny little bugs all up under the florets. Now every time I get broccoli, I obsessively inspect it (and basically everything else).

Quote:
Grim prediction: Some of us are going to starve after the Great Reset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 06:19 PM

20,812 posts, read 28,131,716 times
My choice was not on the list so If I found a bug in my food I would send it back and not order another dish because I would be so grossed out and squeamish. I am sure I have have eaten many bugs in my food and did not know about it. I was cleaning fresh broccoli rabe, chopped it up and was sautéing it. I noticed a bug in it after I plated it. it's was small and not sure what kind of bug it was. I threw the dish out and till this day I will not eat this vegetable and this was 3 years ago. if this happened at a restaurant I had not been to before I would not go back but if it happened at a place I'd been to many times I would just chalk it up and say it happens. but it would be awhile before I returned.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:37 AM

4,168 posts, read 3,358,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
...would you ever eat at that restaurant again?
I would, in the following order:

Scream.
Faint.
Revive.
Storm out.
Never return. No matter what.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:29 AM

14,799 posts, read 11,940,829 times
Quote:
A funny story. I enjoyed a big salad at a favorite restaurant. When I got got down to the very bottom there was a poor, little living lady bug. Yikes!

When I went to pay I told the hostess and she offered to comp my meal. But since i had eaten and enjoyed the whole thing and didn't suffer any trauma from seeing the bug it didn't seem to be fair to the restaurant.

We all eat bugs or parts of bugs in our food every day. I've eaten plenty of them by accident camping and cycling as well. I just don't want to know I've eaten a bug. That's the worst!
Reminds me of the old question. What's worse than finding a bug/worm/critter in your food?
Answer: Finding half of a bug/worm/critter in your food......

I know we all eat bugs or parts of bugs in our food, it's the reality of things, and there's no harm in it. . I'd just rather not know about it!

Old 12-28-2020, 08:32 AM

14,799 posts, read 11,940,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My choice was not on the list so If I found a bug in my food I would send it back and not order another dish because I would be so grossed out and squeamish. I am sure I have have eaten many bugs in my food and did not know about it. I was cleaning fresh broccoli rabe, chopped it up and was sautéing it. I noticed a bug in it after I plated it. it's was small and not sure what kind of bug it was. I threw the dish out and till this day I will not eat this vegetable and this was 3 years ago. if this happened at a restaurant I had not been to before I would not go back but if it happened at a place I'd been to many times I would just chalk it up and say it happens. but it would be awhile before I returned.
In that setting I'd have picked out the bug and gone ahead and eaten the sauteed broccoli.

I'd rather not eat bugs, or find them in my food, but I'm not about to make a scene about it.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:38 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
It depends...

I mean, if you really think about it, bugs are everywhere and we probably eat them every day and not even know about it. I've traveled to foreign countries and eaten bugs that were served as a course. I've eaten some stuff that others would probably find very gross.

If I cut open fish and found worms wiggling in it, I might not want to continue eating and be grossed out. But a small fly in a salad, or soup happens. I'd scoop it out, place it on the side, and keep eating.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:11 AM

19,585 posts, read 20,019,868 times
If a restaurant is serving bugs, it's more than likely going to be roaches.

Enjoy your meals!

Old 12-28-2020, 12:19 PM

9,198 posts, read 10,967,756 times
Quote:

I hope you freed the ladybug.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:20 PM

14,197 posts, read 11,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I once was getting ready to wash and chop some broccoli and it was just infested with these tiny little bugs all up under the florets. Now every time I get broccoli, I obsessively inspect it (and basically everything else).
Those were cabbage aphids. I have never been able to grow broccoli at home (or cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts or kale) without its becoming infested with aphids, and once they take hold, they are impossible to get rid of unless you spray the plant to kill them. You can't just pick the broccoli and wash them off.

I have never seen any in storebought produce whether it was organic or not, so I'm sure that all farms that grow cruciferous vegetables are doing something to keep them away. Was this particular bunch of broccoli homegrown, or from a roadside stand?

Old 12-28-2020, 02:16 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,077,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Those were cabbage aphids. I have never been able to grow broccoli at home (or cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts or kale) without its becoming infested with aphids, and once they take hold, they are impossible to get rid of unless you spray the plant to kill them. You can't just pick the broccoli and wash them off.

I have never seen any in storebought produce whether it was organic or not, so I'm sure that all farms that grow cruciferous vegetables are doing something to keep them away. Was this particular bunch of broccoli homegrown, or from a roadside stand?
No, it was store-bought. It was many years ago. It was the only time I ever noticed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink