Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do if you found a bug in your food at a restaurant?
Send my food back and have it replaced and continue my meal 22 40.74%
Give them another chance at some point in the future 3 5.56%
Consider going back only after they passed an inspection or convinced me in some other way the problem had been addressed 2 3.70%
Never go back 27 50.00%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 05:40 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times

Advertisements

...would you ever eat at that restaurant again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 05:54 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
What is the bug? If it's a roach that got cooked into the food, no way am I ever going back. But if it is a tiny fly that may have landed on the plate while the server was carrying it to me (especially if I am seated outside), the restaurant gets a pass.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:08 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What is the bug? If it's a roach that got cooked into the food, no way am I ever going back. But if it is a tiny fly that may have landed on the plate while the server was carrying it to me (especially if I am seated outside), the restaurant gets a pass.
Ooh, excellent question. The former-your food was served with a little something extra. Not just a random passing fly.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:41 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Depends what bug and where. Cooked food or raw salad? A cockroach, a fly or cabbage worm?

Old 12-23-2020, 06:44 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
I'm already out the door.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:02 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Ooh, excellent question. The former-your food was served with a little something extra. Not just a random passing fly.
Still depends. The bug could have arrived via some bulk grain, raw salad or veggie bought by the kitchen. Think miller moth or grub, weevil, etc. Doesn't mean the restaurant itself is bad. A spider could drop onto a plate almost anywhere between kitchen and table. A customer could bring in some insect that ends up in someone else's food. Haven't you ever seen the movie Victor/Victoria?

Old 12-23-2020, 07:07 PM

648 posts, read 431,705 times
People at the table next to me at a restaurant ordered swordfish. After a while I thought they were tripping on drugs or something because they had their heads way down low looking at the fish. The waiter was summoned, and then the owner or someone from the kitchen. Everybody was looking real close up at the fish. Sure enough, there was a couple of screw worms in the swordfish the kitchen had missed, and I guess they were still moving around.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:38 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Still depends. The bug could have arrived via some bulk grain, raw salad or veggie bought by the kitchen. Think miller moth or grub, weevil, etc. Doesn't mean the restaurant itself is bad. A spider could drop onto a plate almost anywhere between kitchen and table. A customer could bring in some insect that ends up in someone else's food. Haven't you ever seen the movie Victor/Victoria?

Old 12-23-2020, 07:53 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
A funny story. I enjoyed a big salad at a favorite restaurant. When I got got down to the very bottom there was a poor, little living lady bug. Yikes!

Glad I saw it in time - both for it and for me.

When I went to pay I told the hostess and she offered to comp my meal. But since i had eaten and enjoyed the whole thing and didn't suffer any trauma from seeing the bug it didn't seem to be fair to the restaurant.

We all eat bugs or parts of bugs in our food every day. I've eaten plenty of them by accident camping and cycling as well. I just don't want to know I've eaten a bug. That's the worst!

Old 12-23-2020, 08:04 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A funny story. I enjoyed a big salad at a favorite restaurant. When I got got down to the very bottom there was a poor, little living lady bug. Yikes!

Glad I saw it in time - both for it and for me.

When I went to pay I told the hostess and she offered to comp my meal. But since i had eaten and enjoyed the whole thing and didn't suffer any trauma from seeing the bug it didn't seem to be fair to the restaurant.

We all eat bugs or parts of bugs in our food every day. I've eaten plenty of them by accident camping and cycling as well. I just don't want to know I've eaten a bug. That's the worst!
This reminds me of a time when I was very young. My mom was cutting up some fresh broccoli at home and I suddenly noticed a little green caterpillar crawling away from the bunch. I pointed it out in some shock, and Mom just said casually, "Oh, this must be really good broccoli. Look how healthy he is!"

I've been pretty nonchalant about finding bugs on and around food ever since. I do draw the line at bugs that have been cooked IN the food, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink