Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:34 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,673,194 times

Advertisements

I've got a bison heart and trying to figure out how best to cook it. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 02:29 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,062,349 times
Mmm mmm mmm, love me some bison heart. Soooo delicious.

Cook it the same ways you would cook beef heart. If you've never cooked beef heart either then you should go online first to look up illustrated images and instructions on how to open it up to clean and trim the heart first. It's quick and easy to do but there's some dense fat on the outside and some sinewy connective tissue on the inside that should be trimmed off before cooking it. You'll recognize that the minute you see it and it's easy to remove. Just google "how to clean and cook bison heart" and you'll get information about that as well as for beef heart, plus numerous recipes.

The biggest difference between a beef heart and bison heart is the the bison heart is usually bigger and it has a slightly milder beefy flavour than beef heart does, but it is not gamey in any way. The heart meat is very lean and has a really fine, dense grain that almost makes it seem a bit chewie but it is not tough, it's quite tender (unless you over-cook it of course), and it's always best cooked medium rare for best flavour, tenderness and palatability.

Bison heart can be roasted whole or in cut up sections, grilled over the gas grill in whole sections or sliced thinly and grilled in a cast iron pan, BBQ'ed, cubed and stewed so it practically melts in your mouth (stewed as in beef stew), cooked whole or in slices in a crock pot/slow cooker, ground up and mixed with (or without) other kinds of ground meat for making burgers or meat pies - so choose which ever method you think you would feel most familiar with if you were cooking a big hunk of beef of the same weight and take it from there with a recipe and ingredients of your choosing. Just always remember, medium rare and not rare or medium or well done (especially not well done or you'll just destroy it).

After trimming it I always rub it down all over with a combined selection of seasonings, herbs, a tablespoon each of strong black coffee and balsamic vinegar and allow it to marinate like that overnight in the fridge first, and then I cook it the next day. I personally prefer to roast it in the oven or cook it in the slow cooker (because I am a lazy cook) and occasionally if it's just a small heart I will slice it thinly into strips and cook it quickly in butter in the skillet to have with sauteed mushrooms and fried eggs, or in the wok together with other stir fried ingredients. Also, roasted and then chilled sliced bison heart makes wonderful sandwich meat.

I hope you enjoy that heart.

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-24-2020 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-24-2020, 03:47 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,376,805 times
We always prepared beef heart as shish kabob, on the grill, after marinating overnight.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-24-2020, 10:22 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Thanks for the suggestions and advise! I've cooked caribou heart by cutting it into thin strips and using it in stir fry. That was good but I wanted to try something different this time. Also, the bison heart is much bigger than a caribou.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
I once went to a tasting at a restaurant in New Mexico where bison heart carpacchio was served.

But, myself, I would probably braise it all day in a bold, fruity red wine and veal stock with caramelized onions and root vegetables.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:51 AM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
It will make delicious goulash!!!

Or try this:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ca...rt-dzik-tacos/

https://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/20...art-anticucho/

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...nch-fries.html <<< my all times favorite recipe site.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:16 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
I'd go for either stuffed and roasted or else grind it fairly coarse and make a big pot of chili.

Heart makes great chili because it holds its shape, yet isn't tough. It's nice to eat chili that feels like you are getting a mouthful of meat that isn't sludge.

(I've got a crock pot full of pinto beans right now being cooked with maple smoked anchos. About 2 hours before it is done, I'll brown some hamburger and add that to the chili. That's long enough for the meat flavor to soak into the beans and not long enough for the burger to disintegrate. It's not bison heart, though)

Old 12-24-2020, 01:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,062,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, I like that site you posted too --> https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...nch-fries.html - it does have some excellent information and good photos for illustration for trimming, prepping and cooking foods.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:23 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,703,567 times
I like heart marinated and grilled. Usually venison heart. I also love pickled heart.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,726,561 times
Cook it like skirt steak, it is very rubbery if cooked wrong such as putting it in water too short. High heat short cooking and dice it to proper pieces allows for the fibers to get cooked quickly.

The best way I've had it is like Brazilian BBQ, over the fire grilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink