Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2020, 02:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what may be the experiences of anyone else here who has ever eaten or cooked this before and I'd appreciate any advice.

For anyone who doesn't know what this is, it's a butterflied pork loin spread out flat and covered with a layer of pine nut stuffing (with other ingredients and sweet & sour seasonings in the stuffing) then it's rolled up (like a jelly roll) then the entire roll is wrapped in a sheet of pork belly (fat side up and with the fat scored) then tied with string and it's placed in a bag to marinate in a savoury/sweet/sour citrus marinade. When I'm ready to cook it, it's supposed to go on a rack inside the roasting pan and the remaining marinade it was in in the bag is supposed to be poured over the roast. Then cook it.

I picked up a fully prepared and marinated stuffed porchetta roast that was on Christmas Special sale at the superstore yesterday, it's ready to pop in the oven and I plan to cook it either tonight or tomorrow night or maybe Boxing Day (obviously I haven't made up my mind about that yet). This is an entirely new cooking experience for me as I've never heard of porchetta before this, never eaten or cooked porchetta and from what I've been researching about it apparently it will come out very juicy and practically falling apart after it's cooked.

I do NOT want it to fall apart if it can be avoided.

The cooking instructions both online and on the package call for slicing the pinwheel rounds off the roll immediately after it's rested for 15 minutes fresh out of the oven. But it's so juicy my inner instinct is telling me that it WILL fall apart into pieces if I do that and it would be better if I let the whole cooked roast chill overnight in the fridge so it will firm up nice and solid before I attempt to slice off the pinwheel rounds so they will stay intact.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated from anyone even if you've never cooked this before. Thanks. Wish me luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 04:46 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We use thick cut bacon. I chill the roll until ready to go which is generally onto the grill. Please let it rest. It is somewhat rich. You may want to have something to offset that. Cook it slowly in half and half after browning and you have milk roast. What time??? Cold or at room temperature it makes a great meat to work around.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:52 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
It depends how you plan on eating it. If it be a dinner with something like mashed potatoes, then slice it after cooking and make the slices shy of an inch, it will fall apart a bit but it will be juicy and wonderful, it's not meant to be pretty, the bacon belly is the best fresh out of the oven when it's crispy. If you plan on using it for sandwiches you can cool it and slice it thinner and it will fall apart but still be yummy. You could also cool it and cut it the next day and then reheat it for dinner, but I feel it tastes best just out of the oven.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:35 PM

Thanks so much, that all helps. Sounds great! I'm excited and looking forward to this new 'gustatory' experience

Old 12-25-2020, 07:23 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Your post changed our Sunday plans
Pork tenderloin sliced jelly roll style, pounded, covered with stoneground mustard, blanched spinach, ham, cheese, wrapped in bacon. Rolled tightly in foil and chilled it will need no twine or picks. Grilled slowly, fresh bread and a salad. Do not overstuff! Cucumber salad with a plain vinagrette makes a nice addition to a bowl of rabbit food.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:35 AM

Threestep2 that sounds wonderful.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2020, 09:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I've never had porchetta stuffed how you describe, but it sounds delightful.

Slicing the meat thick is the secret to not having it fall apart. Like this

Old 12-26-2020, 09:46 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I've had porchetta several times in Italy. There it's usually a snack bought from street vendors, at least it is where my relatives are from. There's no pine nut stuffing but your version looks wonderful. If my memory is correct, I remember it being a pork roast like a shoulder roast, deboned with skin left on and roasted using garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper. I bet different parts of Italy have different versions like everything else. It's absolutely delicious.

Last edited by marino760; 12-26-2020 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-27-2020, 04:02 PM

Well I cooked it and it was good and it didn't fall apart, but it was not quite what I was expecting. I liked it well enough though that I'd be willing to try it again with one that I prepare myself from scratch instead of getting a store-bought one that somebody else has prepared.

I didn't make sandwiches out of the chilled leftovers, I cut it into chunks and turned it into a delicious thick soup with oyster mushrooms and other veggies.

Thanks everyone for all the comments and advice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink