Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 09:25 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

I'm slim and not worried about calories, and have an old-fashioned belief that food is better for you if it's in a more natural state. I only buy whole milk and whole yogurt. I have no issue with people doing otherwise if they think it's better for them, but what I have a hard time believing is that anyone thinks 0% yogurt tastes "just the same" as full-fat yogurt. I have occasionally sampled various brands of 0% when someone else bought them, and they all taste either thin or chalky. Or, if it's sweetened, it tastes chemical. I suppose you get used to it.

Some people think margarine and corn syrup on pancakes is just as good or even better than butter and pure maple syrup. If people like that sort of thing, more power to them, I guess.

Last edited by saibot; 12-31-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 12:55 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I use plain greek fat free yogurt because it has fewer calories and tastes perfectly fine to me. I use it like sour cream - in chili, on rice, on baked potatoes, etc. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't use it. But I do like it.

Last edited by otowi; 12-31-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 03:43 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
LoL. I am sitting here this very second on lunch with scrambled eggs and fat free cheddar cheese shreds on top.
Isn't cheese really made of milk fat? If yes, isn't the term "fat free cheese" a contradiction?
Or is it more like a pretend cheese with 100% fillers?

Old 12-31-2020, 04:01 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People don't look for low fat cheeses so why do people buy low fat yogurt?

I only buy whole fat yogurt and the choices are less and more expensive. So I'm paying more for traditional yogurt. Low fat yogurt not only is bad for you it doesn't taste good at all. They have to add stuff to it to make it creamy.

When you compare Greek low fat to Green whole fat yogurt, the taste especially the texture is not comparable.

Low fat yogurt always dry up and become crusted or if it's a cheap brand it is watery and have separation.

Whole fat yogurt is always creamy, soft, and the taste is much smoother and dense. Low Fat yogurt always taste less creamy, even ones they use gelatin to enhance the texture you can tell it's too artificial.

There's nothing healthy about low-fat yogurt anyways, the substitutes they added in is what makes it less healthy. If it's plain low-fat yogurt without much substitute it is almost not a yogurt. The separation and watery mess is not good.
Of course they do. The only yogurt I buy is non-fat. And it is delicious.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:04 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This message brought to you by the "Eat More Fat" Council. Our motto: "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

They dont fatten hogs for market on dietary fat, they fatten them with high carb diet and limited exercise.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:22 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Isn't cheese really made of milk fat? If yes, isn't the term "fat free cheese" a contradiction?
Or is it more like a pretend cheese with 100% fillers?
The one that worries me is "fat free sour cream." What IS it??

Old 12-31-2020, 05:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
I make my own yogurt with starter, half-and-half, and coconut flour fermented for 36 hours.

What is fat-free sour cream? Cultured skim milk, thickeners, flavorings and vitamin C. The ingredients say "cream," but I don't know how you can have fat-free milk fat.

It's kind of like fat-free mayonnaise: vinegar, a bunch of thickeners, and some flavorings and preservatives. I make my own with oil, eggs, mustard and lemon juice.

Fun fact: you can call the above sour cream and mayonnaise, even though they don't contain the main ingredients of either one. But you can't call what I make yogurt because it doesn't have the right bacteria.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:41 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People don't look for low fat cheeses so why do people buy low fat yogurt?

I only buy whole fat yogurt and the choices are less and more expensive. So I'm paying more for traditional yogurt. Low fat yogurt not only is bad for you it doesn't taste good at all. They have to add stuff to it to make it creamy.

Wrong. I just looked at the ingredients in the nonfat plain Greek yogurt in my fridge. It's a single ingredient-non-fat milk

Low fat yogurt always dry up and become crusted or if it's a cheap brand it is watery and have separation.

I eat non-fat yogurt on pretty much a daily basis. It's never become dried or crusty. I've experience more separation with sour cream

Whole fat yogurt is always creamy, soft, and the taste is much smoother and dense. Low Fat yogurt always taste less creamy, even ones they use gelatin to enhance the texture you can tell it's too artificial.

Low-fat and skim milk always taste less creamy also.

There's nothing healthy about low-fat yogurt anyways, the substitutes they added in is what makes it less healthy. If it's plain low-fat yogurt without much substitute it is almost not a yogurt. The separation and watery mess is not good.
To each their own. You don't like it, don't buy it. I prefer to watch my fat and calorie intake. And again, there are no additional ingredients in the non-fat yogurt I buy.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:27 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I've always preferred the test of Greek yogurt, higher protein.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:56 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
They dont fatten hogs for market on dietary fat, they fatten them with high carb diet and limited exercise.
Bingo.
The anti-fat foolishness must end.
Fat free cheese is worse than the wax wrapping around real cheese!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink