Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,933,751 times

Advertisements

I'm done with the elimination diet. After many, many months of it not working, I cannot take eating foods I dislike any longer. I can't eat one food I actually like, cuz apparently I'm allergic to them all, to the point, that I'm eating only when at the brink of collapse.

If I continue, I'm gonna weigh 12-lbs by the end of the year. Awesome that I'll be able to wear the neon purple & hot pink shorts I wore in the 5th grade, with free abandon... awful for my palate.

Last night's dinner was organic, very pricey, non-dairy Gouda melted on organic, very pricey pumpernickel bread... no butter, no oil, no condiments, cuz I can't. I was doubled over on the floor in a fit of tears & agony for 6-hrs... almost went to the ER (if I could have stood up), but what do I tell them... I know the ER is filled with poor people suffering from a deadly virus, but I ate 2 new organic foods I hate that I now also have to cross off my list of Foods I Despise But Must Eat & now my tummy hurts.

Today, I tossed chicken drumsticks, red potatoes, celery, carrots, mixed beans & red cabbage in a cast iron pot, tossed in a few spices & a splash of homemade chicken broth & starved myself so I could wolf down an entire pot of foods I dislike. It was filling... but, as per usual, I had to try not to gag while eating it.

Tomorrow's dinner... banana split. No kidding... banana split. After that, an IPA. I've convinced myself I'm allergic to nothing.

Cue Braveheart... "Freedom!"

Begone allergies... you have no power over me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 02:21 PM

22,168 posts, read 29,135,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I'm done with the elimination diet. After many, many months of it not working, I cannot take eating foods I dislike any longer. I can't eat one food I actually like, cuz apparently I'm allergic to them all, to the point, that I'm eating only when at the brink of collapse.

If I continue, I'm gonna weigh 12-lbs by the end of the year. Awesome that I'll be able to wear the neon purple & hot pink shorts I wore in the 5th grade, with free abandon... awful for my palate.

Last night's dinner was organic, very pricey, non-dairy Gouda melted on organic, very pricey pumpernickel bread... no butter, no oil, no condiments, cuz I can't. I was doubled over on the floor in a fit of tears & agony for 6-hrs... almost went to the ER (if I could have stood up), but what do I tell them... I know the ER is filled with poor people suffering from a deadly virus, but I ate 2 new organic foods I hate that I now also have to cross off my list of Foods I Despise But Must Eat & now my tummy hurts.

Today, I tossed chicken drumsticks, red potatoes, celery, carrots, mixed beans & red cabbage in a cast iron pot, tossed in a few spices & a splash of homemade chicken broth & starved myself so I could wolf down an entire pot of foods I dislike. It was filling... but, as per usual, I had to try not to gag while eating it.

Tomorrow's dinner... banana split. No kidding... banana split. After that, an IPA. I've convinced myself I'm allergic to nothing.

Cue Braveheart... "Freedom!"

Begone allergies... you have no power over me.
I may have missed you posting on this in the past. Can you explain?

Old 02-27-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I may have missed you posting on this in the past. Can you explain?
Explain an elimination diet?

This is a diet that's supposed to hone down foods you can eat by having you eat nothing but 1 food at a time (every time you're hungry, for 1-wk), adding in another after 1-wk with no symptoms. If symptoms (for me, horrific asthma attacks/choking, red itchy/burning welts, blinding headache, stomach pain, shaking, vomiting, slurring speech, etc), return to step 1, eat that 1 food for 1-2 wks before adding another, cuz you need to detox the offending food from the system first, then begin again.

I'm basically allergic to everything... foods, fabrics, drugs, chemicals, beauty products, household products, animals, insects, trees, basically all plants/flowers... just name it. I've broken out in hives sitting in a cheap outdoor chair for 15-min cuz it was made with nylon, gotten severe asthma & swollen tongue from a vitamin... I could go on for days. The symptoms are believed to be caused by foods eaten. Some elimination diets differ slightly or drastically... I'm doing whatever I can to make my life pleasant. This diet is no longer pleasant AND it's not helping.

Some people say fasting with water & certain salts only is the way they resolved their allergy issues... the salts contain some minerals & prevent muscle spasms. Fasts from 3-30 days. It's supposed to reset the system, get rid of symptoms (including asthma & other auto-immune disorders, which was my main goal) & then they can eat "normally". It's worked for some... who knows if this or the aforementioned work for the masses... depends on which dr you ask.

After my banana split tomorrow... I may consider it.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:11 PM

19,283 posts, read 9,383,402 times
Hubby did a spaghetti and meatballs, I helped slice bread and put combo olive oil and garlic butter on and toasted them. I looked at the wrapping that the spaghetti came in. Had never seen it before, it was a product of Italy but what surprised me the most was that sodium count was like 3. Calorie count also quite low but can't recall that number. Hope to find that next time. Although I can't rattle off the name, I'd probably recognize the package unless the company bigwigs decide to change it.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:20 PM

22,168 posts, read 29,135,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Explain an elimination diet?

This is a diet that's supposed to hone down foods you can eat by having you eat nothing but 1 food at a time (every time you're hungry, for 1-wk), adding in another after 1-wk with no symptoms. If symptoms (for me, horrific asthma attacks/choking, red itchy/burning welts, blinding headache, stomach pain, shaking, vomiting, slurring speech, etc), return to step 1, eat that 1 food for 1-2 wks before adding another, cuz you need to detox the offending food from the system first, then begin again.

I'm basically allergic to everything... foods, fabrics, drugs, chemicals, beauty products, household products, animals, insects, trees, basically all plants/flowers... just name it. I've broken out in hives sitting in a cheap outdoor chair for 15-min cuz it was made with nylon, gotten severe asthma & swollen tongue from a vitamin... I could go on for days. The symptoms are believed to be caused by foods eaten. Some elimination diets differ slightly or drastically... I'm doing whatever I can to make my life pleasant. This diet is no longer pleasant AND it's not helping.

Some people say fasting with water & certain salts only is the way they resolved their allergy issues... the salts contain some minerals & prevent muscle spasms. Fasts from 3-30 days. It's supposed to reset the system, get rid of symptoms (including asthma & other auto-immune disorders, which was my main goal) & then they can eat "normally". It's worked for some... who knows if this or the aforementioned work for the masses... depends on which dr you ask.

After my banana split tomorrow... I may consider it.
Thank you for clarifying this. Has this always been an issue with you? I'm assuming no Dr's are able to help

Old 02-27-2021, 06:25 PM

6,333 posts, read 4,050,972 times
Spinach Ravioli with mushrooms sautéed in garlic & oil with asparagus with parmesan cheese & crushed red pepper❗️

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 08:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2021, 06:29 PM

23,875 posts, read 10,251,883 times
Chicken curry, basmati, cucumber salad.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:36 PM

1,371 posts, read 651,270 times
Asparagus risotto with cured egg yolk grated on top. Parm R fricos.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Spinach Ravioli with mushrooms sautéed in garlic & oil with asparagus with parmesan cheese & crushed red pepper❗️
Another wonderful pic. You need your own cookbook.

I'd love for the last page to be a pic of you eating a cold slice of pizza straight outta the fridge, just for a lark.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Thank you for clarifying this. Has this always been an issue with you? I'm assuming no Dr's are able to help
Thank you for asking. Probably always a problem, I'm unsure, but it gets worse the older I get. I'm the only one in my family with allergies, asthma, was always sick as a kid & misdiagnosed a lot. Told I had bronchitis & pneumonia constantly as a kid. Being given so many antibiotics (for years & years), I'm now allergic to them all, which is common with over-treatment.

Looking back, I think it was undiagnosed asthma (they didn't check for those things back then, at least in my case)... it was finally diagnosed at 23. It's untreated, cuz, I'm allergic to all asthma meds or they get taken off the market after 3-4 yrs for causing strokes... I breathe at 10% of my capacity if I have an attack, so it's scary. Was told you can have brain damage at 50%. Fortunately, it's rare, cuz if someone lights up a cig, sprays Windex or there are car fumes, I run for the hills like a lunatic on fire.

I've accidentally discovered "cures" on my own... told I had IBS as a teen... once I had to stay home with a cold & didn't have coffee w/heavy cream in the am for 2-days... it magically disappeared. Turned out it was dairy allergy. They plied me with drugs for years for IBS, which only made me ill.

It's difficult socially cuz no one has patience. "Just eat it!" has been screamed at me forever, to the point that I haven't had a meal with anyone for many years... it's not my fault, I'm not picky, I'm allergic & my symptoms are severe. I've ended up in the ER at least 7 times, gasping for breath over a food. To this day my mum angrily reminds me how much bother & money I cost her as I was allergic to all baby formulas & constantly threw up, having to be hospitalized many times for weeks.

I'm forever trying something, anything new. Did a lot of research Re: asthma/allergies being completely food related. In full disclosure, I've taken $10K in classes over a 20-yr period & have a dozen certifications in all kinds of holistic healing to try to help myself... nope.

It's trial & error & utterly exhausting. I may try the water fast, but tomorrow it's ice cream... haven't had that in at least 15-yrs.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the pics here & live vicariously through others' dinners, which is nice to read. But, I'll stop posting, cuz it's a bummer to read this nonsense. I know I'm disgusted with it.

Have a good weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink