Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Mom's visiting and for tonight we will just grill some steaks and serve pupu style with dipping sauce (horseradish, homemade steak sauce, truffle sauce), lobster bisque (costco), and maybe a salad.
Enjoy your company! Your meal is going to make your mum very happy!

Lobster bisque is one of my fave things, which I indulge in occasionally (if I can find a Whole Foods around... haven't had any other), even though allergic to milk. I eat it with 1-lb of cooked shrimp & use the shrimp as a scoop with the soup. It's a pricey lunch from WF, but so worth it a couple of times/yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I actually also love a good meatloaf! Somehow, meatloaf is like the Rodney Dangerfield of entrees - it doesn't get much respect, but it's not too much work, and you can make a ton of food at once, and it tastes very nice - great comfort food! Sounds like your wife makes it a little fancier than mine with the lamb incorporated, but I use a lean ground beef to keep it from getting too greasy.
Until you both wrote this, I hadn't realized that I think my fave meal is meatloaf with mashed/gravy & corn & green beans. My mum didn't like to cook & wasn't very good at it, but it's one of the 2-3 things she made that was a joy to eat. Hamburg was cheap back then, so we ate a weekly meatloaf.

I don't follow a recipe & make it a different way each time... different spices/herbs, meat blend. I had a friend who was the most wonderful cook & sometimes catered functions... she said the secret was to mix the meats, whichever ones you choose.

I also learned to stretch it by not altering flavor by adding TVP (texturized veg protein, which has no flavor), a bit of rice, barley, bread & oats (all, a few or one... depends on what I've got), all of which are not really discernable in the finished product when mixed together. Growing up with 7 kids, 4 of which were athletic boys with appetites as big as basketballs, stretching meals was important.

It's also one of the few things I like leftover or eaten cold out of the fridge.

For me, I'm not hungry at all after a late b'kfast, so I'll probably have a lettuce-tomato salad late tonight, with Meyer lemon-oil dressing, sprinkled with nutritional yeast for a Cheddary flavor.

As an aside, I'm really going to miss these Meyer lemons (even though they're often $1.25/ea) once they're unavailable. They taste a bit orangy, so make lemons enjoyable to eat. They're only available Dec-May, so my joy is soon coming to a close. I splurge on 2 bags every time I'm at the market, but I've noticed the quality is failing of late.

Have a wonderful week, All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 03:12 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,022 times
Spinach gnudi with sage butter sauce, and steamed broccoli.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:58 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
BBQ Brisket (cooked in instant pot), homemade coleslaw & homemade French Fries

Old 04-18-2021, 04:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 666,323 times
Springtime risotto, ramps, white asparagus, green peas, onion and garlic with Parm R of course.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:13 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,171,001 times
Escarole & Beans with Chicken sausage spinach stuffed, Garlic Bread with an Italian Red❗️

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:22 AM..

Old 04-18-2021, 05:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Escarole & Beans with Chicken sausage spinach stuffed, Garlic Bread with an Italian Red❗️
I'm still thinking you have a professional photog, who comes in at mealtime to take pics of your table. Everything I try to photograph looks like I'm 2-mi away & if food, a bowl of sand.

I live on the canal in the Tampa area & try to get pics of the many small boats & ski mobiles tearing up & down the water each day... every single pic looks like I live in the next town & tried to photograph it through a telescope... ah, I'm 10' away. Dang you, Android... dang you.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 PM

173 posts, read 63,496 times
crockpot spaghetti meatballs

Old 04-18-2021, 06:14 PM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Storebought Italian: Rana artichoke ravioli, Bertolli tomato and basil sauce, Al Fresco all-natural chicken sausage. Quick and easy, like most of my meals...

Old 04-18-2021, 06:58 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Medtran's got ramps! Wonder if you foraged them.

We have them in the woods all around here. They are especially good from the grill.

Do you know that Chicago means "place where the ramps grow" in Miami-Illinois native language?

How Chicago Got Its Name

Old 04-18-2021, 07:24 PM

1,371 posts, read 666,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Medtran's got ramps! Wonder if you foraged them.
No, we had to buy. I don't think they will grow wild in South Florida. I got enough to use in another meal, though haven't decided what yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink