Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 09:19 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

What in your opinion is the best tasting breed of cattle? Lets take price out as a factor.

I did not know much about different cattle breeds, and the marbling. All I knew was Kobe/Wagyu has the best marbling. But then I learned there is another breed from Europe called Charolais that also have marbling on par with Kobe or it is said

https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/rest...yang-kham-beef

I heard of angus beef too, but I never knew why that prefix of Angus is significant. I cannot taste the difference. The supermarket and the restaurants dont tell you what type of breed their product is. I wish they did though. I wish supermarket labels had the breed listed. In all honesty, I also dont think Kobe/Wagyu is that great either. I dont taste the difference.

https://morningchores.com/cow-breeds/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 09:31 PM

636 posts, read 327,957 times
Genuine pasture raised, and not finished on grain. Breed irrelevant.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:40 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I don't think breed matters.
The highest quality steaks come from steers, pure breed and well raised on quality pastures.
And even that doesn't matter if the cook can't cook...

Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
We raised feeder calves when I was growing up and weaned the calves in the summer and fed them out and sold the following year. They were pulled off the pastures and we fed mixed feed and added additional grain for weight. For the ones we butchered, we doubled the grain for more fat and flavor. I don't know if the breed really matters but you want them to put on weight fast. There are breeds that are easier to manage and lower stress. That probably helps. The seasoning helps a lot, especially the salt.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:01 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
Genuine pasture raised, and not finished on grain. Breed irrelevant.
Agreed. We put a 3 yo Longhorn bull in the freezer due to an injury. That breed is not known for marbling, and being a bull, he was more muscular than a steer. heifer or cow...he was on nothing but grass and he was some of the best tasting beef we've ever had.

I always shake my head when I see organic, grass fed beef selling for a premium...when it is way cheaper for the producer to raise on grass....no grains, no growth hormones. Marketing magic I guess.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-17-2021, 06:13 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
I always preferred Angus, with all the proper techniques as mentioned above.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:49 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
The best beef I've ever had was Kobe in Tokyo (I dont know which type of Kobe it was, except I'm positive that it wasn't the super high end, ridiculously expensive type.)

That said, the best MEAT I've ever tasted was ostrich carpaccio in Capetown, SA.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:38 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Beef is most affected by processing and aging. Then the flavor is greatly affected by what the animal was eating. You are very unlikely to buy properly aged beef at the supermarket. However, there is a difference in the choice grade Angus and the select grade beef I buy. The choice grade has very obviously been aged longer. The select often smells green and it has a higher moisture content.

A local market sells Wagyu beef and it is pretty darn good. The same market also sells certified Hereford, and that is quite good. The Hereford is not graded but, visually, it looks like choice grade.

The flavor of Holstein is excellent and the texture of the meat is quite fine. It's not economical to raise as beef, so you won't be finding any certified Holstein in the market.

In my opinion, the flavor of Angus has slipped. It has become too mild. The Angus breeders have a great program where they breed for size of rib eye, low birth weights, ease of calving, amount of marbling, but they forgot to breed for flavor.

That is not true about Charolais cattle. They are a double muscled breed and the meat has a tendency to be a bit tougher. They don't put on any more or any less fat than any other cattle breed.

If you can afford it and you can find the farmer, you can buy a side from someone who is raising beef for their own table so they aren't skimping of feed quality and care. The breed doesn't matter much. It is more about what is fed and how the animal is butchered and aged.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-17-2021 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-17-2021, 11:50 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Adding this: my local market that sells certified Hereford, sells a rib eye that is aged for 5 weeks. That will show you what aging does for beef. That is one spectacular piece of beef ( and not cheap).

The really expensive steak houses are serving a very well aged steak. You know, the kind of meat you can't buy for yourself and you have to go and shell out the huge price at their restaurant in order to get one of theirs.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:44 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Agreed. We put a 3 yo Longhorn bull in the freezer due to an injury. That breed is not known for marbling, and being a bull, he was more muscular than a steer. heifer or cow...he was on nothing but grass and he was some of the best tasting beef we've ever had.

I always shake my head when I see organic, grass fed beef selling for a premium...when it is way cheaper for the producer to raise on grass....no grains, no growth hormones. Marketing magic I guess.

Regards
Gemstone1
I also like grass fed meat, but my understanding of the price difference, is that it takes the animal much longer to gain weight & get to the right size for harvesting. Grain makes them grow much quicker. So as they harvest fewer animals, the cost is more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink