Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 11:05 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times

Advertisements

I picked up a box of these yesterday on a whim.
They are called Phillips Maryland style crab cakes.
I think the cost $13 for 6 of them.
These are not real small nor not to large.
They are just right.
About 2/3rds the size of a cupcake.

The wife and I shared a couple this morning and “oh my word” we were pleasantly surprised.
They tasted great and were filled with big chunks of tasty crab meat.

All that said I don’t think we gave our best effort in cooking them because it was 6:00 am and the coffee wasn’t even done.

What we did was put them frozen in the oven @ 425 so while they were good and all that they were slightly mushy

In hind sight what we should have done was to have them thawed out and pan fry them with a bit of chopped green onion.
We are going to serve them in a couple days as a side dish when we cook up some rockfish.

My wife is on a low carb diet so she read the fine print and deemed it doable.

I just love crab cakes but I rarely ever order them at a restaurant because I am tired of being disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 11:36 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Maryland blue crab make the best crab cakes. Costco's Phillips crab cakes are made from crabmeat from Southeast Asia

Old 02-24-2021, 12:14 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times
Yeah I kinda figured that and should have mentioned it.
I thought it was a given.
My bad, but I wasn’t trying to hide anything.
They are called Maryland “STYLE” for a reason.

Any time there is a really good price on an item the chances are it comes from over seas.

That said a lot of great items come from distant areas.
Personally I like blue berries like no other but they are not from here in the winter.
We eat the “you know what out” of them .

I also have a thing for great cigars once every couple of years and they do not come from the best areas.

I guess a bit of discretion should be used but as adults... did I really need to mention it?

Old 02-24-2021, 12:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I picked up a box of these yesterday on a whim.
They are called Phillips Maryland style crab cakes.
I think the cost $13 for 6 of them.

Phillips is a seafood institution in Baltimore. They have restaurants and frozen foods.

IMHO, their BEST product in their packaged tuna which is excellent (and generally not available in AZ).

Old 02-24-2021, 03:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Crab cakes at 6am????

Old 02-24-2021, 03:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Crab cakes at 6am????
haha - I'd eat them anytime!

I can relate OP - I've had such TERRIBLE crabcakes that I couldn't even finish them no matter how strong my craving was. And yes, the best I've had were in Balitimore.

I didn't know Costco's were anything special but I might just give them a try - thanks! Being in the midwest means it is a very rare treat.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Hard to beat Maryland Crab Cakes. Phillips is a Maryland Legend in sea food houses. Probably more legendary than flat out great these days.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:00 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
haha - I'd eat them anytime!

I can relate OP - I've had such TERRIBLE crabcakes that I couldn't even finish them no matter how strong my craving was. And yes, the best I've had were in Baltimore.

The expectations of a crab cake in Baltimore and one in Chicago is night and day. Throughout the Chesapeake Bay area, the expectation is that at least 90% of the crabcake is crabmeat AND that it is all blue crab backfin meat irregardless of the price level.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:42 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Having grown up in Maryland and working in Baltimore- what you get in the box ain't a crabcake. Once a year I buy backfin meat and Chesapeake oysters and have them flown in and I make my own crabcakes and oyster fritters.

It's a birthday treat for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink