Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,688,842 times

Advertisements

With school starting soon (here) and having already started in other (lucky) places, I thought I'd see if anyone had any new ideas for lunches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM

904 posts, read 2,865,364 times
Default What to send in the lunch box today?

My son is normally a good eater but the school lunch thing is beginning to drive me crazy and it's just the first week of school!

First, let me say that the school is totally nut free. So, no PB&J is allowed. Also, no walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, etc. Or anything made with them. It really is limiting.

Last year I could send ham sandwiches, but this year he no longer wants that. Doesn't like the school lunches so buying is out. I am so tired of pepperoni or bacon sandwiches which seem to be the only thing he will eat for lunch.

Ideas????

Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,444,897 times
can you send something in a thermos, like stews or soups, or how about some type of pasta or rice dish in a container?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,487,785 times
Lunchables, or the Lunch Tuna packs

Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,160,895 times
You are tired of making sandwhiches but your son is not tired of eating them?

With the insulated bags, freeze blankets and what-not available these days I would think that there is nothing that you can't send for lunch. What does your son like to eat besides pepperoni and bacon?

I was fed bologna and cheese most of my school life. When it was very cold out there were some occasional hot dogs in a thermos.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,370,647 times
freeze "Gogurt tubes", and they'll thaw by lunch time.

Lunchables ~~ there are tons of varieties and he can pick out what ones he might like.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM

904 posts, read 2,865,364 times
Won't eat lunchables except for the pizza. Won't eat any kind of lunch meat and loves cheese but not cheese sandwiches. I'm telling you...this kid is killing me. Oh and I am not tired of making sandwiches. I just want him to eat something besides pepperoni and bacon. I wouldn't call them a healthy lunch but it's all he will eat at this point.

I did send spaghetti in a thermos today. That went over well. Last year he would do chicken noodle soup but it's too hot right now. Hot dogs are also on the "do not send" list because a child choked and died eating a hot dog at school a few years back. You aren't even allowed to send beanie weanies or anything with hot dogs in it. Won't eat tuna or any other fish.

For dinner he will eat grilled meats, meatloaf, burgers, etc. He just won't eat them in a thermos(or so he says). I may try meatloaf though next time I make it. He loves corn on the cob, carrots, fruit. Can't really send the corn but I do send fruit every day and have sent a muffin and fruit before. Will eat a little salad at home but not in the lunch box. I even sent cold pizza last year but he wouldn't eat it cold. They are not allowed to heat anything up and since I work at the same school, I don't think it's right for me to sneak his lunch in the teacher's lounge and warm it up.

I even tried a baked potato in a thermos. He loves them at home but wouldn't touch it at school. It's going to be a long year.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,563,959 times
What about a cold pasta salad? Butterfly pasta, diced chicken and shredded carrots in a little Italian dressing? I make one with sesame dressing that keeps very well. My son doesn't like it, but my other two do and ask for it all the time.

What about chunks of chicken in a little container, maybe with some honey mustard or BBQ sauce for dipping?

Cheese is decent protein, so you could do cheese and crackers and grapes or apple slices or celery. What about string cheese or those little bonnie bell cheeses? Yogurt?

Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,797,190 times
PB&J is NOT ALLOWED??? What is this country coming to. Go Bologna and cheese. If he doesn't like it maybe he will lose some weight from all the high fat stuff hes been eating. Or get chicken/ham/turkey from the deli. If he wants something else he can prepare it.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,505,989 times
Wow I never got to dictate my lunch. LOL. I ate what was sent or I traded w/ somebody. Orrrr I went hungry.

I make for my husbands lunches:

turkey, swiss, spinach and mayo on wheat
pastrami and mustard on rye
ham, swiss, and honey mustard
triscuits, cheese, and pepperoni with cucumber spears as a side
pesto pasta salad, sometimes with chicken, sometimes without
chicken fingers w/ honey mustard dipping sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink