Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 3,152 times

Advertisements

I like Gin Stephens too. I read her books and listen to her podcasts. She's very knowledgeable. I suggested Jason because he is a doctor and those who like to argue against fasting are more likely to listen to a doctor. Maybe. I started with Gin and have talked to her online. She's amazing, has done tons of research, and is very practical. Jason has more videos that deal with sugar, fatty liver, diabetes etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 02:37 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The most amazing part for me was that my "brain fog," which I was attributing to age, maybe some mild depression, or perhaps being isolated while WFH all year, completely cleared up; I can think better, and I have tons of energy and ambition now.
Ketosis has been shown to improve brain function. Read up on Dr. Mary Newport who treated her demented husband with Keto esters, Ketosis, and coconut oil and he got better. And he was a severe case.

Dr. Boz had a good video showing how the energy needs in the brain increase as you age and sugar / glucose doesn't provide enough... but glucose and ketones do.

I have also heard that Silicon Valley people use fasting to gain an edge. Makes me wonder what could happen if the majority of us started using this and Ketosis.

You likely have tons of energy because it takes energy to digest food. I get sleepy on my feast days. Makes me wonder if it should be a treatment for people with chronic fatigue.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Sugar does NOT "kick your body out of IF" (I assume you meant ketosis?). You enter ketosis with every long fast regardless of what you ate during your eating window. And because you do, attempting/achieving ketosis with a keto diet is actually redundant...

But we digress!

Don't you find that you relish your food more after a period of fasting? I personally really enjoy planning what I'm going to eat that day, making preparations for it, then savoring every morsel during my "feast."
Sugar kicks you out of all benefits of IF such as autophagy, rebuilding cells and tissues. Because insulin is activated the minute it senses sugar and must pause all of the benefits of IF. It spikes blood sugar. What's the point of taking in sugar during IF.

People do all sorts of ways to get around carb loading during IF in order to keep insulin low and autophagy working.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sugar kicks you out of all benefits of IF such as autophagy, rebuilding cells and tissues. Because insulin is activated the minute it senses sugar and must pause all of the benefits of IF. It spikes blood sugar. What's the point of taking in sugar during IF.

People do all sorts of ways to get around carb loading during IF in order to keep insulin low and autophagy working.
OK.

Now back to the pleasures of eating one meal a day!

Old 03-23-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Ketosis has been shown to improve brain function. Read up on Dr. Mary Newport who treated her demented husband with Keto esters, Ketosis, and coconut oil and he got better. And he was a severe case.

Dr. Boz had a good video showing how the energy needs in the brain increase as you age and sugar / glucose doesn't provide enough... but glucose and ketones do.

I have also heard that Silicon Valley people use fasting to gain an edge. Makes me wonder what could happen if the majority of us started using this and Ketosis.

You likely have tons of energy because it takes energy to digest food. I get sleepy on my feast days. Makes me wonder if it should be a treatment for people with chronic fatigue.
I definitely can voucher this, since being on primarily keto for energy. I've got fantastic brain boost from it, I'm able to think more deeper without brain fog. People who uses carb for brain fuel usually go through highs and lows. Since carb for brain fuel doesn't last very long so people usually end up needing 6 packs of sugar for their coffees.

Definitely add sodium/salt to your diet to boost ketosis. All those FDA bs about low salt diet is all outdated medical science. A high salt intake is required for proper ketosis sustaining.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:18 AM

30,165 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Eating your OMAD earlier in the day is actually preferable for weight loss. Just be careful doing keto that you get ALL your day's calories in your meal; that's not easy when you're ALSO trying to cut carbs and sugars. I just eat normally - whatever I want - and I'm losing weight. Fasting itself ALSO produces ketosis, so it's fine.

That is the hard part. Empty calories of sugary carb items are much easier to consume in quantity. On to day #3. The first Keto OMAD day.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Eating fewer than three times a day puts you at risk for overeating and choosing less healthy foods.
I have never been able to overeat on OMAD, having done it for years. It is tough, for me personally, to eat more than about 1,500 - 2,000 calories per meal and even that low amount is more than satisfying even if I was ravenous before sitting down to eat.

For what it's worth, my TDEE (maintenance caloric requirement) is about 2,500 calories/day. So I will lose weight doing OMAD.

Lately I have been doing 16:8 and having trouble keeping my calories down as much as I'd like. I am not overeating, but I am eating when hungry, within my 8 hour window, and probably getting more calories than I'd like. Less than when eating 3+ times per day, but definitely more than when I have done OMAD.
I think I will try a 20:4 TRF and see how that impacts my appetite.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Not me, I eat 3 meals a day and really look forward to all of them.

Some can hack OMAD...........but I suspect many are like me when I tried OMAD,
food-obsession increased dramatically.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:50 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I started eating OMAD (before it even had that name) many years ago, when I was desperate to drop 15 pounds of stubborn baby weight right after the birth of my youngest. I'd tried drastically cutting calories, but that wasn't working. Then someone recommended the book "The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet" to me. I paid attention to the first chapter, where Dr. Rachel Heller described how she had lost a great deal of weight eating only one meal a day (the diet plan prescribes eating two low carbohydrate meals and one "eat-anything-you-want-but-keep-it-balanced Reward Meal", to be consumed in an hour).

I didn't bother with the "low carb meals" (I was impatient to have that baby weight gone FAST), so I started eating only the one meal a day (like Dr. Heller originally did), dinner in the evening, which I consumed in an hour. During the day, I'd have only black coffee and water. In less than two months, I was thinner than I was pre-pregnancy. I had no cravings during the day, and wasn't hungry or tired from the lack of food. I even did an intense exercise session every morning to accelerate the weight loss. I had that one meal a day to look forward to, knowing I could eat what I wanted (within reason). I didn't treat it like a "binge"...I tried to keep it balanced, with meat, potatoes (or other carb) and vegetables. And sometimes an alcoholic beverage or two or dessert with it.

Sometimes it seemed like I was eating enough food for a third world country at that one meal, but the pounds continued to quickly drop.

Almost 30 years later, I've kept the weight off, although I'm not as strict about the hour time frame (I've never been one for eating breakfast). If a few pounds are creeping up (like they did during the Covid lockdown), I go right back to the hour time limit.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-28-2021 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-28-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Not me, I eat 3 meals a day and really look forward to all of them.

Some can hack OMAD...........but I suspect many are like me when I tried OMAD,
food-obsession increased dramatically.
A normal healthy person skipping a meal would get the stomach cramp but not a dramatic increase in cravings.

That is a very clear sign of insulin resistance. It's a precursor to diabetes down the road. If you can't avoid eating a single meal without getting cranky then becoming ravenous after 1 hour of not eating your usual time. That is the sign of insulin not working well in your body. Eventually pre-diabetes and type 2.

Insulin resistance causes people to get hungry after 2-3 hrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink