Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Bananas.

I was forced to eat too many of them as a kid and I can't stand the texture now.

Tomatoes: hard and tasteless unless you grow them yourself.

Okra: slimy

Octopus: I wouldn't eat them anyway, due to their intelligence, but the rubbery texture is off-putting.

Several cuts of meat have good flavor, but tough and gristly.

What do you avoid due to texture?
I hated the texture of liver when I tried to eat it years ago. Very thick and heavy and dense. Like a glob of blood vessels or blood that's been cooked. Which is what it is.

I don't like the texture of slimy things. This can happen to veggies in soups or gumbos. I'll still eat them (except I don't like okra cooked any way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:59 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Canned peaches, pears, fruit cocktail. I was force-fed this stuff as a child. The pears made me think of cataracts & the grapes in fruit cocktail were eyeballs. Fresh fruit is great.

Canned spinach...gag. Love fresh spinach, also frozen.

Any kind of “organ meats”. Liver, kidneys, etc. Growing up, I had a friend whose father ate beef brains. It was a treat for him. I was visiting & smelled something odd & the friend took me out to the kitchen & lifted the pot lid. OMG, no.

Jello...I don’t know it it counts as a food, but the texture makes me gag. Jello with canned fruit in it is an abomination.

Miracle Whip. Mayonnaise is OK.

I like fish, but I can’t eat a whole, cooked fish...fins, head, eyeballs. Yes I know not to eat the fins, tail, eyeballs & head, but they are still there.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 03-23-2021 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-23-2021, 12:11 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Crab & Lobster, too wet.
You're cooking it wrong. Steam or Bake, never boil. And keep that damn butter away from it.
All the butter does is ruin the flavor and taste.

The only food I can think of is liver. I never liked the taste or smell of it.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:00 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
YES.

Calamari and snails are like rubber bands. Eww.

As avocado quality plummets, I'm agreeing with that poster too. Rarely can I find an edible, tasty avocado.
It’s one man’s meat, (if you’ll pardon the pun), and another man’s poison.
Calamari can be chewy, but sprinkle vinegar on them and keep chewing, or have a spicy dipping vinegar sauce on the table.
I’ve been known to eat a dozen or more escargots, (snails), in restaurants in France, then after a glass or two of Chablis, order another half dozen, escargots are ambrosia when steeped in garlic butter.
My wife eats avocados like apples, one after the other, as I do with bell peppers.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:55 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Oysters
Lima beans/butter beans (but I like most other beans - go figure)
Watermelon
Bell peppers (especially green). It's the skin more than anything. But green peppers also have a bitter taste to me.

I like eggs but they better not be undercooked. Yuck! slimy.
I like asparagus but I almost gag when the stalks are hard and stringy.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:01 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
My wife eats avocados like apples, one after the other, as I do with bell peppers.
"One after the other"?

1 bell pepper = 30 calories

1 avocado = 300 calories

Old 03-23-2021, 08:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't like the texture of whipped cream.
Fresh or fake? I love fresh whipped cream on berries (not BIG blueberries though), but hate the whipped/waxy texture of Cool Whip type of whipped cream.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:37 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Sometimes, home-grown green beans have tough strings that are inedible and just repulsive. Maybe it depends on the exact variety? The same problem with asparagus.
Those are sometimes called string beans and you're supposed to remove the string.

At :45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSo2snuIWkQ

Trim more off of the cut end of asparagus to remove the woody part.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:45 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Fresh or fake? I love fresh whipped cream on berries (not BIG blueberries though), but hate the whipped/waxy texture of Cool Whip type of whipped cream.
Yeah, I won't eat Cool Whip either, gross combo of shortening and HFCS. Real whipped cream, please.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:46 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Fascinating.

I've never heard people refer to 'em as "blueberries" before. Sorry.

I like blueberries in steelcut oatmeal.

What else do you call them? Curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink