Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:38 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times

Advertisements

I didn't like fresh tomatoes or potato salad until I was in my late teens. Then one day something must have changed about my taste buds and I discovered that I like them both.

(Everyone understands it's got to be good potato salad, of course. Some is just too tasteless to enjoy.)

Baked beans. I just couldn't eat them until I was in my thirties. Mostly I think it had to do with the texture and color. Then I had a serving of my MIL's calico beans and they were so good that the aesthetics of the issue went out the window.

Pinto beans. Again, it's the texture and tastelessness. To me they are like something to fill your stomach but not for eating pleasure.

I'll eat them, though if they are served to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 10:31 AM

1,263 posts, read 665,727 times
As a child of parents that lived through the depression years I was taught early on to respect all food. I feel fortunate that I was exposed to just about everything that was available to us in the States at the time, especially foods of our family's heritages which are Italian and German.
Ethnic foods of all nationalities were always an attraction to me and still are. When I was a young boy I remember my father had a fondness for Limburger cheese, but nobody else wanted to smell that stuff, so mom told him one day, "if you want to eat that cheese take it with you to work!" So from then on he did. But by then that distinct aroma was imbedded in my mind. Many years later I found myself in the only town in America that still makes Limburger cheese, Monroe, Wisconsin. We were at a popular bar in town, Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern, and their house sandwich is a limburger and braunschweiger sandwich with onions and mustard on pumpernickel bread, served with a mint no less! So on a bet, I ordered it with a Huber Bock beer, and it was fantastic! Some things just take time to come around I guess. These days for health reasons I eat a whole food plant-based diet but I fondly remember those sandwiches I had on most return visits.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:51 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Fried chicken livers. Haven't had them since I was a kid, but it was not the gross experience I'd thought it would be.
Same. Loved them as a kid but have not had since. They very idea now is unsettling.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:57 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times
This thread reminds me of a headline I recently saw. Something like, “You really don’t hate vegetables; you hate how your parents cooked them.”

Growing up, most vegetables that could be canned was thego-to, off the gro ery shelf or from the pantry. Moving to frozen was an upgrade in flavor. Farmers Markets really changed things.

Add some variey in spices and cooking ... game changer.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:11 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Feta cheese. Somebody put it on a salad; I thought "uck", but tried it and liked it.

I'm a fairly adventurous eater; I've tried rattlesnake, escargot, calf brains, catfish, prickly pear, and crawdaddies. I didn't expect to hate any of them, and enjoyed some more than others.

I have a jar of sauerkraut in the cupboard. I've heard it's good for you, but I dread trying it.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:27 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Grilled calamari, sushi, Kim chi, kangaroo steak, turkey burgers...
Kangaroo is very tasty, but like most game meats you can’t cook it more than medium rare. Emu is good too.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I had grilled eel in Japan and it was very good, just like any other fish. But I can't do raw fish because of a mental block. Maybe I'd like it if I could get past that.
There’s nothing like fresh toro (fatty tuna belly)...just melts in your mouth.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:37 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Oysters, I had them in Arizona in 2018 Rockafella style. Love them that way. Not sure if I'd like them raw, if they are slimy then no way.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:49 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Feta cheese. Somebody put it on a salad; I thought "uck", but tried it and liked it.

I'm a fairly adventurous eater; I've tried rattlesnake, escargot, calf brains, catfish, prickly pear, and crawdaddies. I didn't expect to hate any of them, and enjoyed some more than others.

I have a jar of sauerkraut in the cupboard. I've heard it's good for you, but I dread trying it.

Oh my , I'd rather have that jar of sauerkraut, than some of those other foods you mentioned...lol

Old 03-23-2021, 07:24 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There’s nothing like fresh toro (fatty tuna belly)...just melts in your mouth.
That stuff is good. Saibot, if you've eaten lox, salmon sushi isn't too much different. It has the same texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink