Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 06:30 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I had a vegetable dicer, but ended up throwing it out. They are miserable to clean properly, get clogged easily, and are just not worth the effort.

Use your slicer, freeze the cut meat, then go at the slabs with a chef's knife, where the slice motion is easy.

Some meat doesn't lend itself to anything more than hand cutting. I just processed some chicken thighs yesterday, which meant skinning, deboning, defatting, and then spreading the meat to cut into bits for stir fry.

In theory, a roller press, as is used in printing, could cut meat into strips or cubes. There is a perf bar that cuts the perforations in continuous stock, or cuts it into sheets. In reality, it would end up a greasy bloody mess.

FWIW, there are REALLY pricey veggie cubers for restaurants that make Mediterranean salads. You could probably hire a restaurant worker for a few weeks of cutting for less money.

Edit to add - I saw a video of a wag who combined a potato cannon and a french fry grid cutter to make french fries. Load BOOM slice, load BOOM slice. Just make a cylindrical projectile of meat slices, and do the same. I leave it to you what to tell the police.
You're right, partially freezing meat is the key to success, same thing if you are butterflying a chicken breast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 08:54 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
If you buy meat at a butcher shop, the butcher will cut up your meat pretty much any way you like. Cube a roast for stew meat, cut strips of steak for fondue or stir fry, cut the bones from the bottom of a prime rib and tie them back on, grind up your own special combination of meat into hamburger, ...

If that is not an option, you could volunteer to cut the meat while she is chopping vegetables, etc.

If you partially freeze the meat, then run it through one of those $100 meat slicers, three different ways, you can get small cubes of meat. Be sure to wear those wire mesh gloves. I'm not kidding.

You will end up with scraps at the end that you will need to use a knife on, and it is a fair amount of clean up, so it really only makes sense if you are cutting up a lot of meat in meal size portions to freeze.

I prefer the first option, myself.

When we were raising the kids, I had a course ground meat combination that I liked for meat loaf, chili, spaghetti, taco meat, ... I'd ask a couple days ahead of time so they could work it into their cleaning schedule for their equipment. They tell me when to pick up. Freeze it in two pound packages. Worked for us.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:05 AM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
You will not get what you are looking for with an inexpensive household machine. Get your wife the best knife you can afford.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:11 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Closest you'll find is a fajita/strip cutter. Not at all cheap.

https://www.chefsdeal.com/american-e...4aArerEALw_wcB

If you bought a commercial dicer (like the vegetable choppers used by homeowners, but made of all metal) like this and used semi-frozen meat you might make it work.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...oaAj7xEALw_wcB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink