Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 01:31 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
When I was a kid I remember that for parties or whatnot my mom would make/buy spinach dip in the sour dough bread bowl. I loved the stuff and would chow down. It is not a thing I can remember seeing anywhere since then.
I had totally forgotten the "bread bowl" gimmick. Up into the 1990s soup or chili in a bread bowl was still a common thing at restaurants. I ordered it once or twice and wondered what the heck I was supposed to do with the bowl. It was not easy or sightly to dismantle the bowl and eat it, but leaving all that bread seemed like such a waste.

Just give me soup in a bowl and bread on the side, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 02:16 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
When I was a kid I remember that for parties or whatnot my mom would make/buy spinach dip in the sour dough bread bowl. I loved the stuff and would chow down. It is not a thing I can remember seeing anywhere since then.
That's very much still a "thing" around here--especially during football season house parties and at local bars/family restaurants year 'round. My partner's kids love the stuff (especially if there are artichokes included in the dip along with spinach).

His daughter's go-to meal at Panera is mac and cheese...in a bread bowl. Too much starch for me, but she's a dairy and starch fiend, so it suits her just fine, lol. She usually ends up eating most of the bowl once the macaroni has been consumed, so there's not too much waste.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:22 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Caesar salad made tableside used to be the norm at any decent restaurant. A large cart would appear, and the waiter would prepare the salad, with all fresh ingredients, in a large wooden bowl, and then serve on chilled plates retrieved from a refrigerated compartment in the cart.

Now you receive a salad with bottled dressing squirted on top even at highly-rated restaurants.

Blame the health police. Many locales prohibit the serving of uncooked eggs. Traditional Caesar dressings were made with raw egg yolks. Even top restaurants had to stop serving real Caesar dressing.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:22 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times
I miss Gebhardt's frozen Beef tamales. They were big and the filling was like a good Chile con carne. I think one can still find the company's chili powder, but not the tamales.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:34 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I'll pass on the carob ice cream but those cheese balls with nuts said "Holidays" in no uncertain terms! Especially the ones with a red coating (supposed to be wine?) under the nuts. Great memories
Yes! I remember the red parts were supposed to be wine! They were very festive. I do miss those.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:01 PM

240 posts, read 267,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Weaver chicken croquettes disappeared years ago. 90's maybe?
I miss chicken croquettes also. There were a few restaurants around where I grew up that had them on the menu. I haven’t seen them in years!

Old 04-20-2021, 06:00 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I miss Gebhardt's frozen Beef tamales. They were big and the filling was like a good Chile con carne. I think one can still find the company's chili powder, but not the tamales.
Do you remember Happy Jose burritos? The company renamed themselve Jose Ole but they wree way bettr as Happy Jose:

Old 04-20-2021, 07:00 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You can still buy razzles at 5 below. I get pop rocks, candy buttons and rock candy there. Wish I could find the chocolate ice cubes and the raisin bars that were posted. I used to live on the raisin bars.

Clark bars were Necco who went bankrupt. Someone bought it out. It's web only until it goes national again. Was my favorite candy bar.

Anyone remember the Zagnut bar? Another favorite of mine I can't find. Hershey supposedly still makes it.
I LOVED Clark Bars and Zagnut! I'd forgotten all about the second.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:36 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Another beer that used to be sold in the US but no longer is, is Lowenbrau. Though I remember reading online that this beer still is still sold in Germany, and certain other European countries.
Löwenbräu has been around for hundreds of years and is still brewed in Munich. However, the Löwenbräu that used to be sold in the U.S. in the 70s & 80s wasn't the same beer. (I used to drink it, more specifically Löwenbräu Dark, during my college years in the 70s.) Miller bought the U.S. rights to Löwenbräu, changed the formula, and brewed and bottled it here. If you listen closely to one of their most famous commercials from that time period, you'll even hear the announcer state that it is an American beer. And the chyron at the end states that it is brewed in the U.S.A. by Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDBt...3%A4uPer%C3%BA

Old 04-21-2021, 12:18 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
https://i.imgur.com/Ghla3Ai.jpg

Tidbit crackers. I remember these as popular snacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink