Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 03:14 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Whatever gave you this strange idea? People have been eating avocado toast since the first ripe avocado fell from a tree.
Please. Cave men didn't have toast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocad...ical_symbolism

According to Lauren Oyler from Broadly, "in certain demographics—young, urban, upwardly mobile, on Instagram—avocado on toast has surpassed the grilled cheese as the go-to easy-and-filling bread-based lunch, moving far beyond the curious-minded trend pieces it inspired in 2014 and 2015 to become a regular feature in the bourgeoisie's diet."

Old 04-08-2021, 04:27 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,751,857 times
This is new to me.

I LOVE avocado and I LOVE toast w/butter but I've never had it together.

I love Dunkin Donuts coffee with Boston Creme Donuts.

Maybe I'll check it out next stop at Dunkin. Thanks for bringing this up.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:48 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why so much disdain in one post? The idle poor? Down-market coffee joints? Geesh.
I tried to rep you. That post was drenched in hatred and hostility.

Ruined avocado toast? No. Made it more available and offering a more healthy option for people who want a little something to eat with their coffee. I think that's a good thing.

DDs avocado toast is pretty good.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:25 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
This is new to me.

I LOVE avocado and I LOVE toast w/butter but I've never had it together.

I love Dunkin Donuts coffee with Boston Creme Donuts.

Maybe I'll check it out next stop at Dunkin. Thanks for bringing this up.
I would go to a regular sit down restaurant that uses fresh ingredients if you want to have a good avo toast (or google some creative recipes). Don't bother with Dunkin. They use the mini sealed tubs of mashed avocado that is too citrus heavy to prevent it from browning. It's not very good.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:34 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
According to Lauren Oyler from Broadly, "in certain demographics—young, urban, upwardly mobile, on Instagram—avocado on toast has surpassed the grilled cheese as the go-to easy-and-filling bread-based lunch, moving far beyond the curious-minded trend pieces it inspired in 2014 and 2015 to become a regular feature in the bourgeoisie's diet."
Who's she? When did she say this? The "bourgeoisie," really?

It's avocado and bread, for pete's sake.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:32 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,971,294 times
It must be regional. I had never heard of the stuff before I started hearing that it was THE food of the "millennials," and I've still never seen anyone eating it or heard of anyone I know eating it (of any age). Tried it once... had it at work for breakfast. Someone came by my desk, looked at it sitting on a plate next to me, and wondered what was up with my moldy bread. So clearly they didn't know, either. (I assume I'm supposed to put it into aesthetic slices, though, which might explain the confusion? I just mashed it and spread it on. I have no idea what else I was supposed to put with it. Tomatoes? Cheese?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I suppose the idea is that avocados are expensive? At least, I think that's what the flap was about.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:04 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
I don't eat carbs. Well I do have a carb day once or twice a month. Avocado toast would not be at the top of my list. I do avocados with pork rinds. Very tasty.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:05 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I tried to rep you. That post was drenched in hatred and hostility.

Ruined avocado toast? No. Made it more available and offering a more healthy option for people who want a little something to eat with their coffee. I think that's a good thing.

DDs avocado toast is pretty good.
Repped you both.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:

As a native Southern Californian, I have been eating avocados since the 1970s, when I was a child. It was never considered a highfalutin' food item. I can't believe people are using the term bourgeoisie to describe Americans, and especially not in a thread about toast and avocado.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:00 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:

I don't know who she is. The point is, some people apparently didn't know Avocado Toast was a hipster food. My popular quip about the "idle poor" is based on the original meme status of Avocado Toast among Millennial college students several years ago. The joke was that Millennials can't pay their student loans but they can blow $10 on Avocado Toast at brunch.

BTW Dunkin Donuts isn't the only one who's accused of ruining something.
https://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2017/...-Cinco-de-Mayo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink