Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 07:55 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

I was brought up with the idea that a Chinese dump might be a great place for Chinese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 12:24 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Have you eaten great food at cafes that were so run down and dirty you were surprised the health department didn’t close them?
In Kansas City we have a small diner in the Downtown area called Town Topic (a/k/a "Town Toxic"), which has been in business since 1937. It's a thorough dive and looks like it hasn't been cleaned since 1937. Some people say they have the best hamburgers in town. In fact, they have 4.5 stars on Tripadvisor in the restaurant listings. I know someone who moved here from Seattle. He is obsessed with Town Topic. Claims they make the best hamburgers in the world. Most people go there at 3 am when they're drunk.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Missouri.html

Old 04-21-2021, 03:42 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well this is a little different, but I lived in a small town in western NY that was pretty run down and there was a bakery in the center of town near some abandoned storefronts. The ladies that ran that place worked very hard and really knew their craft, and that place had amazing pies and scones that were sold in better restaurants all around the area. I recall visiting Oxford, England, and telling some locals that I was disappointed in the scones because oddly, the ones in my small hometown were better, and the Brits were boiling! I wasn't trying to be rude, but I must say I was a little amused by how upset they got "It's not possible! We invented scones!!!"

I think most Brits would agree that different restaurants and cafes use different recipes, and it's down to personal preference.

Some people prefer savoury cheese scones to sweet scones, others prefer strawberry jam (jelly) and cream with their scones, served with tea.

There are also local cakes and deserts, in the Oxford area, the Banbury cake, which is similar to an Eccles cake is popular.

Banbury Cake - Wikipedia

As for the history of the scone, it has a strong association with a number of areas, although none so more than the South West of England, with it's clotted cream.

As for Oxford it has some very old cafes including the Queen’s Lane Coffee House which dates back to 1654 and the Grand Cafe which was mentioned by Samuel Pepys in 1650.

Grand Cafe Oxford - History

History | Queens Lane Coffee House

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-21-2021 at 03:50 AM..

Old 04-21-2021, 07:19 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I think most Brits would agree that different restaurants and cafes use different recipes, and it's down to personal preference.

Some people prefer savoury cheese scones to sweet scones, others prefer strawberry jam (jelly) and cream with their scones, served with tea.

There are also local cakes and deserts, in the Oxford area, the Banbury cake, which is similar to an Eccles cake is popular.

Banbury Cake - Wikipedia

As for the history of the scone, it has a strong association with a number of areas, although none so more than the South West of England, with it's clotted cream.

As for Oxford it has some very old cafes including the Queen’s Lane Coffee House which dates back to 1654 and the Grand Cafe which was mentioned by Samuel Pepys in 1650.

Grand Cafe Oxford - History

History | Queens Lane Coffee House
Thanks for that background! I quite enjoyed my visit to England, which was charming - Oxford was beautiful, and I took some extra time after the conference to look around some of the other towns nearby there, like Salisbury, and touched on the coast a bit. I moved from western NY in 1998, so sadly it's been a long time since I had those yummy scones. Never had anything close to theirs anywhere else. As I recall anyway, they would typically make them with chunks of dried fruit, like apricot or ginger, and while the taste was very fine, the most distinctive - and in my experience, utterly unique - thing about them was the texture, which was wonderfully dense, firm and crumbly. Their pies, also, they worked magic with, and while the fruit filling was excellent, it was the fine flavor and texture of the crusts that really distinguished them from lesser pies.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-21-2021 at 07:32 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 04:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Picadilly aka Morrison’s had good food. Though they were only a bit run down at the end. They served hearty and full course meals. It was neat the way it was set up.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:14 PM

119 posts, read 58,825 times
"Hole in the wall" places have the best food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink