Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 06:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Eggs are fine months after expiration date? And you are worried about bacon, being left out for 6 hrs.

Eggs that are kept under proper refrigeration will remain fresh for approximately NINE months. The sell by date is about a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 07:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
I mentioned this before, but I remember when younger we'd bring bologna or ham sandwiches to school in little brown paper bag, complete with mayo etc. and just keep them in the unrefrigerated for at least 5 hours before eating with no problems.

Fast forward 30 years and I had coworkers who would use a mini-cooler dealie with an ice pack so that their lunch would survive the 25 minute car ride from their home to to the break room fridge. Crazy.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I mentioned this before, but I remember when younger we'd bring bologna or ham sandwiches to school in little brown paper bag, complete with mayo etc. and just keep them in the unrefrigerated for at least 5 hours before eating with no problems.

Of course, that was back in the days when parents actually could prepare lunch for their progeny as opposed to the government providing free breakfasts and lunches.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:39 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Eggs that are kept under proper refrigeration will remain fresh for approximately NINE months. The sell by date is about a month.
3-4 weeks is the longest I can find, on any site. I would really like to know your source. I would stock up, if I knew they would last.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
3-4 weeks is the longest I can find, on any site. I would really like to know your source. I would stock up, if I knew they would last.
I learned that from the US Army. The large foodservice corporation that I worked for at the time would do cross trainings with some of the local army bases so that their personnel would learn what civilian operations and visa versa.

Personally, I would not store an egg much past four months although I have consumed eggs as old as six months old with no ill effects. There days, we generally go through a half dozen eggs a week as we are not doing a lot of baking.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:19 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Rule of thumb, if they don't float they are good. I've had them several months past the best by date with no ill effects. You probably aren't going to find that 'sourced' anywhere because of fear of liability.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:15 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
There is a difference between being safe and having the properties of an egg that you want. Fresh eggs are better for some recipes, and old eggs for others. Old eggs can peel easier when boiled. Fresh eggs make meringue better.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:31 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I noticed supermarkets in the UK keep eggs on the shelf with the canned goods. Never refrigerated.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:11 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I noticed supermarkets in the UK keep eggs on the shelf with the canned goods. Never refrigerated.
That's because they don't wash eggs in Europe before they go to market. This has been discussed to death before in another thread. Apparently Americans can't handle poop and feathers stuck to their eggs.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:19 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That's because they don't wash eggs in Europe before they go to market. This has been discussed to death before in another thread. Apparently Americans can't handle poop and feathers stuck to their eggs.
Their eggs aren't filthy. There aren't any feathers clinging to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink