Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 03:06 PM

50,337 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am so tired of this. I buy a small bag of onions, enough for about two weeks and half the onions are rotting inside. The ones that aren't rotted feel like they have been improperly dried for storage. Some of them have semi-transparent outer layers that look like they have been frozen.

Is this going on country wide, or did I get stuck in a bad onion corner?

I needed onions and the store I was in was charging 98 cents a pound for onions. I picked out one that looked really good just to get me through the night and until I could get to a store with more reasonable prices. I got it home and half of the inside had to be thrown away
If I had that happen at a store more than once, I would assume they were not the best place to buy produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 04:04 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I had that happen at a store more than once, I would assume they were not the best place to buy produce.

For some of us, our only choices are 'take it' or 'leave it'.

Up here in ME, Hannaford has taken over supplying a whole lot of our smaller and once independent grocery stores. It's Hannaford or nothing.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:52 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I mostly buy red onions and they usually keep close to a month, though you will get a rotten one once in a while. Make sure they look fresh and very firm when you buy them. If pre-packaged, unfortunately have to look real close as one bad onion will spoil the bag in short order.

As to garlic, thats a nightmare anymore as most garlic seems now to come from China and its not always well labeled as to country of origin. If its cheap, its probably from China. I assume its the cheap slave labor to hand harvest/sort it or something. Chinese garlic doesnt keep well at all. Might be good time to start growing your own if you have a garden.
Always buy our garlic at Costco. They only carry Christopher Ranch garlic, grown in Gilroy, CA. I stopped buying garlic in grocery stores when I realized most of it was imported from China, which was probably about 15-20 years ago.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:34 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
You can tell American grown garlic from Chinese. The garlic from China has all the little dried roots on the bottom scraped off. American grown garlic will still have a few short scraggly roots at the base. Onions are usually really not prone to rotting in CA for at least a few weeks because 1) they are grown there in ABUNDANCE, and so they are generally fairly local, and 2) the climate is so dry that they are dried in the field for a couple days to harden them off before shipping. In areas in the east, the climate is more damp and there is more rain in the summer, so it's hard to properly harden them off in the field before gathering them for packaging and shipping.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:19 PM

50,337 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Good to know. I think we can manage to produce garlic in the usa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink