Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 03:29 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times

Advertisements

I have been going by the "use by" date for years. If it says use by August 17th, I will keep it till that date & use it any time. I have never had food poisoning from home cooked foods. Keeping foods too sterile is also not healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 03:55 PM

728 posts, read 302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have been going by the "use by" date for years. If it says use by August 17th, I will keep it till that date & use it any time. I have never had food poisoning from home cooked foods. Keeping foods too sterile is also not healthy.

Stores love people like you but not people like me who read sell-by dates and reach deep into shelves to get stuff that's just delivered even the ones up front won't expire till Dec 2021. I prefer those marked Nov 2022.

You will never die from food poisoning eating cooked food unless it is left lying around for days till it's just begin to smell and some insects got to it.

I am a farm-to-table guy and avoid mass produced foods trucked from across the country.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:03 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
You can't. Any unfrozen meat needs to be cooked the day you bought it. Otherwise, throw it in the freezer and defrost it in the fridge 24 hours before you cook it.

Just because the meat smells bad doesn't mean it cannot be eaten even raw. Vultures and hyenas can do it. I guess it's an acquired taste.
Where on earth did you learn this? There's a reason they put a use by date on the package and it isn't because you need to cook it within 24 hours.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:18 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Stores love people like you but not people like me who read sell-by dates and reach deep into shelves to get stuff that's just delivered even the ones up front won't expire till Dec 2021. I prefer those marked Nov 2022.

You will never die from food poisoning eating cooked food unless it is left lying around for days till it's just begin to smell and some insects got to it.

I am a farm-to-table guy and avoid mass produced foods trucked from across the country.
No I think they prefer people like you who throw out food, which is still good. If it is marked with a long expiration date I will buy it & keep it, & not freeze everything that I buy, which compromises the flavor & nutrition.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:38 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Nine days in the fridge seems a bit long to me, but I'd inspect it. If it smells, looks and feels OK, and you cook it thoroughly (165 degrees), it should be OK. If it doesn't taste good after you cook it, I wouldn't eat it. Not so much because I think it might make me sick, but I won't eat food that doesn't taste good.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:40 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
You can't. Any unfrozen meat needs to be cooked the day you bought it. Otherwise, throw it in the freezer and defrost it in the fridge 24 hours before you cook it.
That is complete nonsense.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:58 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
when I used to eat chicken I never kept it more than 2-3 days without cooking or freezing it. 9 days would have been way too long for me. Better safe than sorry.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ge#bottom-line

Quote:
Raw chicken lasts in the fridge for 1–2 days, while cooked chicken lasts 3–4 days.

To detect if chicken has gone bad, check the “best if used by” date and look for signs of spoilage like changes in smell, texture, and color.

Avoid eating spoiled chicken, as it can cause food poisoning — even if you cook it thoroughly.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:13 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Just because the meat smells bad doesn't mean it cannot be eaten even raw. Vultures and hyenas can do it. I guess it's an acquired taste.

Deadly advice.

Carrion eaters have developed specialized systems to handle the bacteria. Some animals can eat things that will sicken/kill humans, just like humans can eat some things that will sicken/kill some animals.

Why are posts with dangerous misinformation allowed to remain?

Old 04-28-2021, 09:09 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Food storage 'guidelines' are overly conservative if anything, likely driven by the lawsuit culture in this country. I routinely eat poultry that has been in the fridge for 4 or even 5 days without ill effect. It's called 'cook it thoroughly' before consuming.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Slime is good when it comes to fish. Smell of the ocean and slime.
That's nice, but this thread is about chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink