Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times

Advertisements

I live in a big city. My preferred grocery store is not by my house. But their vegetables are always fresh, you can buy things like milk, bagged shredded lettuce, etc with plenty of time before the sell by date.

Vegetables keep.

The store by my house (Food City) is low end, smaller, expensive and I think only exists because people in nearby apartment complexes don't have cars. The milk is sour smelling two days after opening it regardless of the date. Vegetables often go bad right away.

The Target by work is in an upscale part of town. Anything with a date will be out of date within days. How do they never have anything good for more than about four days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 07:32 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
I am sure it has to do with their warehouse and distribution system. Most are going to do it the cheapest way their customers will accept. The small farmer doesnt deliver to the retail store in the back of his 1948 Chevy pickup like in the folksy commercials. Most of your produce goes through many middlemen to the grocery chain warehouse system. Some of it imported from around the world. Produce tends to even be stored in low oxygen warehouses for many month to even out supply and avoid super low prices to liquidate inventory when there is a seasonal surplus. Produce so stored, once it reaches normal oxygen atmosphere spoils quickly.

If you have access to any produce supplier where its truly fresh/local, its worth paying the bit extra. Unfortunately the farmers markets (real local growers not the resellers of wholesale produce) tend to want to sell in tiny quantities in boutique fashion/price to well heeled customers. However you live in big city thats hub for wholesale produce pipeline, you maybe get some truly nice commercial produce reasonable. Probably more chance in such a big city, than if you live in some out of way, end of line rural area that doesnt produce veggies local. I have lived in some very rural areas where the produce was truly nasty. Small store tended to try and keep it on shelf long as there was any theoretical possibility some fool might buy it.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I live in a big city. My preferred grocery store is not by my house. But their vegetables are always fresh, you can buy things like milk, bagged shredded lettuce, etc with plenty of time before the sell by date.

Vegetables keep.

The store by my house (Food City) is low end, smaller, expensive and I think only exists because people in nearby apartment complexes don't have cars. The milk is sour smelling two days after opening it regardless of the date. Vegetables often go bad right away.

The Target by work is in an upscale part of town. Anything with a date will be out of date within days. How do they never have anything good for more than about four days?

1) Is the Food City located in Arizona? That sounds like a perfect description of the Tucson Food City stores.

2) If milk spoils after four days, I can pretty much say that somewhere along the line, the milk has been mishandled. Leaving milk out for 2-3 days at room temperature, the milk will lost about half of its life.

3) "Freshness" in groceries store is generally a function of volume. In my experience, Target is one of the worst grocery operations that I have seen. When you lack volume, groceries start to pile up at the warehouse and at the store. This leads to out of date goods.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:19 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Food, especially produce, comes in different grades. The different grades are priced differently.

Stores know what their customers will buy. if "cheap" is their most important criteria, then the store will try to sell the cheaper grades of produce. If their customer base wants quality and doesn't mind paying for it, the store will carry the better grades of produce that costs more.

Myself, personally, I like both cheap price and good quality, so I compromise and I know which store to shop at for produce that will come closest to what I want to buy and use. I don't buy produce at the store that sells scraggly produce that spoils quickly. But I don't shop at the specialty organic store, either. Their produce is extra nice but costs more than I want to spend.

Know what you want and know what your local stores carry.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:22 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Adding: some times it has a lot to do with the produce manager. Some managers take whatever is delivered and some will send produce back if they don't like it. Needless to say, the picky produce managers get the better looking produce because the wholesaler doesn't want his veggies returned as rejected, so he is more careful about what he sends to that store.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Independents can buy from many different
Suppliers

Store owners/ store managers set the policies and tone of the store

Quite a hit piece ... doesn’t matter the date it will spoil??
Then don’t buy milk within two days

If your assessment is accurate then
The store should have closed

Old 05-05-2021, 07:59 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Food, especially produce, comes in different grades. The different grades are priced differently.

Stores know what their customers will buy. if "cheap" is their most important criteria, then the store will try to sell the cheaper grades of produce. If their customer base wants quality and doesn't mind paying for it, the store will carry the better grades of produce that costs more.

Myself, personally, I like both cheap price and good quality, so I compromise and I know which store to shop at for produce that will come closest to what I want to buy and use. I don't buy produce at the store that sells scraggly produce that spoils quickly. But I don't shop at the specialty organic store, either. Their produce is extra nice but costs more than I want to spend.

Know what you want and know what your local stores carry.
Unfortunately when it comes to commercial produce, nicer only translates to more "picture perfect" looking, fewer blemishes, more perfect coloring, etc. No commercial seller gives a fig about better taste. Better taste requires caring about things like soil condition and how ripe when harvested. More ripeness during harvest means lesser shipping and storage qualities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink