U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 04:24 AM

3,436 posts, read 3,085,305 times

Advertisements

When I lived in NJ, WAWA was the place to go for a great sandwich.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 07:17 AM

20,085 posts, read 25,672,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
When I lived in NJ, WAWA was the place to go for a great sandwich.
Wawa has my favorite cream cheese filled pretzels.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:33 AM

253 posts, read 410,520 times
For me, it's Esposito and Sons on Court St in Brooklyn. They have a sandwich called the Doc - Fried chicken cutlets & fried eggplant, with fresh mozzarella, oil and vinegar.....soo good

Old 05-26-2022, 09:48 AM

2,369 posts, read 851,587 times
There's a little general store in the French Quarter, New Orleans that makes amazing Muffulettas. I know Central Grocery is famous for theirs...but we got ours at a different little market. Yum yum yum! Also...just about any shrimp po'boy in New Orleans. LOL

Old 06-29-2022, 10:58 AM

670 posts, read 385,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I found it interesting that some people listed Firehouse, because I never heard of that chain until I went to Canada. I just looked, and there are five of them in NJ, including at EWR. Brisket and cheddar sub, soooo wonderful. There's also another here called Mr. Sub that is good.

Normally when in Jersey, I would go to a local, non-chain shop. Tried the nearby Jersey Mike's, but I wasn't impressed. There's a local Jewish deli that I love for a good REAL pastrami sandwich that I wish I could have right now, but it's too far away.

If I want an Italian sub, I go to a pizza place, but again, that's in New Jersey. Ontario is a desert when it comes to good Italian food. One the other hand, a good fried fish sandwich can be found anywhere here.

I love Pret a Manger. Tuna with cucumber on a baguette.

I'm also from NJ, and we have 2 Italian speciality shops in our town (that also make hoagies) and i will go nowhere else. They are THAT good.

Also i love tuna with cucumber... never realized that was a thing -- Pret a Manger. Is that a Canadian thing? On a bagette i can imagine is amazing....

Old 06-29-2022, 11:41 AM

4,524 posts, read 2,964,023 times
I am fortunate that our local Subway makes really good sandwiches. They don't take coupons, though, so they can be pricey, but they are worth it. Another sandwich that amazed me is the Pecan Chicken Salad sandwich at Arby's. I think some of these franchises are upping their game to stay competitive. I don't have much choice where I live, so franchises it is.

I can't leave this thread without mentioned "Stottlemyer's" the sandwich place near Los Angeles Civic Center (across the freeway) which named all its sandwiches after famous people. It closed down years ago. It was an amazing place, quite the landmark back in the day. Vintage menu:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353110427011236400/
There is also a FB fan page for former patrons and employees.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:22 PM

14,143 posts, read 24,976,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I am fortunate that our local Subway makes really good sandwiches. They don't take coupons, though, so they can be pricey, but they are worth it. Another sandwich that amazed me is the Pecan Chicken Salad sandwich at Arby's. I think some of these franchises are upping their game to stay competitive. I don't have much choice where I live, so franchises it is.

I can't leave this thread without mentioned "Stottlemyer's" the sandwich place near Los Angeles Civic Center (across the freeway) which named all its sandwiches after famous people. It closed down years ago. It was an amazing place, quite the landmark back in the day. Vintage menu:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353110427011236400/
There is also a FB fan page for former patrons and employees.
The first yr. that Arby's came out w/this - I was visiting mom in a small WV town - got two of them for us and they were great!! Got one last yr. at my local place...... meh. - Haven't been in a Subway in yrs. after getting more bread than anything and inconsistent service (and several of those locations have since closed up - hit or miss I guess.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:01 PM

7,088 posts, read 6,081,812 times
If I want a decent sandwich, I go to one of a few small local restaurants; and the number of said restaurants is dwindling. IMO, most places don't know how to make a decent sandwich, let alone a great sandwich.

There was a local deli/liquor store/restaurant that I used to frequent back in the 1980's and 1990's. It had been making its own incredibly great signature deli sandwiches since the 1950's. In the early 2000's the owner suffered a debilitating stroke. After a few years, his wife finally gave up trying to both run the place and care for her husband at the same time and closed the place down. Their place was located on highly desirable real estate, and their family talked the wife into selling out so that the couple could have good money in their retirement.

I've tried recreating their signature sandwiches at home, but only came close to matching one of them. I just can't get the ingredients exactly right. No other local restaurant has ever been able to measure up.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:17 AM

78,845 posts, read 72,878,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
I'm also from NJ, and we have 2 Italian speciality shops in our town (that also make hoagies) and i will go nowhere else. They are THAT good.

Also i love tuna with cucumber... never realized that was a thing -- Pret a Manger. Is that a Canadian thing? On a bagette i can imagine is amazing....
No, Pret is all over the city (Manhattan). Up until COVID, I was still working part-time, and that was my go-to when I needed a quick lunch. Not sure there are any in NJ. Haven't seen it up here in Ontario.

In my hometown in Bergen County, there was a really good Italian sub shop. Miss that.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 2,805,757 times
The deli in a neighboring town - it's also a gas station, convenience store and ice cream stand.

Honey ham w/cheddar cheese on their homemade white roll, with lettuce, onion, black olive and banana peppers with chipotle mayo. I could eat this sandwich every single day.

I may try tuna with cuke. that sounds really good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink