U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 07:16 PM

251,950 posts, read 85,990,371 times

Advertisements

I normally would go to my favorite supermarket deli and get it custom made on a multigrain sub roll.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 10:46 PM

3,005 posts, read 1,591,431 times
Dicks Northwest Sausage & Deli in Centralia. If a deli lands on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, it must be at the top of the food chain. Guy Fieri sniffs out the very best places for deli.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:31 PM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 29 days ago)

45,432 posts, read 56,741,300 times
I’m not sure if I already posted this, but Publix Italian Sub is enough for at least 2 people (My half lasted me 2 days) and it was $6.95 last week. You can order inline and pick up at a certain time. It’s very good.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:14 PM

13,669 posts, read 7,647,049 times
Probably my favorites are Jersey Mike's and Firehouse Subs, more or less tied. People rag on Subway, but sometimes they can be pretty good. There used to be a Philadelphia chain called Lee's Hoagie House that I absolutely adored. Sadly, I think they're long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
In Texas, we have two outstanding sandwich chains: Jason's Deli and Schlotzky's. Jason's muffaletta and Schlotzky's Deluxe Original sandwiches are truly amazing. They've totally ruined me for any other deli sandwich providers.
Jason's Deli is pretty widespread. We have them here in Maryland. I really like them for their salad bar, but oddly enough, I've never actually had a sandwich there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I also forget the Earl of Sandwich Chain. If first discovered when I stop at the highway rest area in Maryland on I-95. I forget the name.
It's at the Chesapeake House on I-95 at mile marker 97, about 45 miles north of Baltimore. That's the only Earl of Sandwich I've ever eaten at, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't know it was a chain.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:50 PM

Swensons Galley Boy, in Ohio.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:53 PM

4,530 posts, read 2,967,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m not sure if I already posted this, but Publix Italian Sub is enough for at least 2 people (My half lasted me 2 days) and it was $6.95 last week. You can order inline and pick up at a certain time. It’s very good.
I'm going to have to try that. The Subway in my area is very good but their prices are very high and they refuse to take coupons. They have a brand new menu which added some very good sandwiches but some of the sandwiches are over $9.00!

Old 07-21-2022, 08:19 AM

20,085 posts, read 25,675,562 times
Tried Jersey mikes the other day. It was good but not worth the price. Most local deli's /bagel shops make sandwiches that are good and less expensive. I mean 16.99 for a giant cheese steak sub? I am not a frugal person at all but that seems a bit over the top in price. I got the regular sub and it was 9.99. I used to work at Subway from 2013 to 2017then left to pursue a real career so I have no Idea what their prices are today.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm going to have to try that. The Subway in my area is very good but their prices are very high and they refuse to take coupons. They have a brand new menu which added some very good sandwiches but some of the sandwiches are over $9.00!
No kidding! Today I got a footlong Subway Club, coke and chips and it was almost $16. I never buy the combo, so I’m not sure of the cost breakdown, but I’m guessing the old $5. Footlong days are over.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:27 PM

4,530 posts, read 2,967,415 times
Quote:
I am fortunate that our local Subway makes really good sandwiches. They don't take coupons, though, so they can be pricey, but they are worth it. Another sandwich that amazed me is the Pecan Chicken Salad sandwich at Arby's. I think some of these franchises are upping their game to stay competitive. I don't have much choice where I live, so franchises it is.
This sandwich is now gone. Why do these companies offer a really good thing and then get rid of it? If they are doing "market research" with a good product, why take it away? It was the perfect "other" choice than their usual fare for people who are, say, in a group or ordering for more than one person. It was a really good sandwich.

Now they've got something else, it's a Cajun Fish Wrap. Also good, but will probably be gone in 2-3 months.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:36 PM

14,490 posts, read 11,802,370 times
Quote:
This sandwich is now gone. Why do these companies offer a really good thing and then get rid of it? If they are doing "market research" with a good product, why take it away? It was the perfect "other" choice than their usual fare for people who are, say, in a group or ordering for more than one person. It was a really good sandwich.

Now they've got something else, it's a Cajun Fish Wrap. Also good, but will probably be gone in 2-3 months.

Many reasons.

Sometimes, it's an item that just doesn't sell well.. Sometimes it doesn't fit the rest of their menu.. Sometimes it's a PITA to make. Sometimes it winds up due to spoilage, which, oftentimes ties into it not selling well.

I did try that one you mentioned and I thought it was good. If you like Chicken Salad, try Chicken Salad Chick if you have one in your area. https://www.chickensaladchick.com/

Pricey, but good.

Oddly.. i never really cared for Chick-Fil-A's chicken salad when they had it. I'm a fan of most things Chick-Fil-A, but that was a miss. Along with their entire breakfast menu IMO.

Oh, and some places (I'm looking at you Hardee's/Carl's Jr and Burger King) just rotate 'special' menu items through the year to get people in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink