U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 12:52 PM

382 posts, read 116,234 times

Advertisements

I really miss Quizno's...they were my favorite!

Jersey Mikes is nice, especially when I can talk them into carmelizing the onions on their grill, but I'll bet they hate to see me come in the door.

Penn Station is nice. the sandwich composition is carnivore-friendly, and their fries with vinegar are great
Jimmy Johns "Gargantuan" is a top notch cold sandwich

Lately, I've been going to this place called "Mancinos" Mancino's Online Menu - Fort Wayne Mancino's not sure how widely available they are, but presently are my favorite here locally. I'll usually get the Chicago Steak, and pay for "extra meat", bringing the price to nearly $20...but it's a quality sandwich that fills me up.

Subway, I've really lost confidence in. When they started gaming the Club by removing the roast beef, they destroyed the main reason I went there. Now supposedly they have added a reduced portion of roast beef back in, but the one time I went to try it, they claimed they were "sold out" of roast beef...so I decided they were not worth my trouble
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 02:23 PM

14,462 posts, read 11,784,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
I really miss Quizno's...they were my favorite!

Jersey Mikes is nice, especially when I can talk them into carmelizing the onions on their grill, but I'll bet they hate to see me come in the door.

Penn Station is nice. the sandwich composition is carnivore-friendly, and their fries with vinegar are great
Jimmy Johns "Gargantuan" is a top notch cold sandwich

Lately, I've been going to this place called "Mancinos" Mancino's Online Menu - Fort Wayne Mancino's not sure how widely available they are, but presently are my favorite here locally. I'll usually get the Chicago Steak, and pay for "extra meat", bringing the price to nearly $20...but it's a quality sandwich that fills me up.

Subway, I've really lost confidence in. When they started gaming the Club by removing the roast beef, they destroyed the main reason I went there. Now supposedly they have added a reduced portion of roast beef back in, but the one time I went to try it, they claimed they were "sold out" of roast beef...so I decided they were not worth my trouble

Quizno's.. I didn't think their sandwiches were anything special. But their business practices when it comes to franchising were.. Pretty bad.

I did an entire breakdown of this in a long (waaaay too long) post detailing the financials of opening a Quizno's. It, apparently, was about one step above owning a Minnie Pearl's Fried Chicken franchise.

You needed something like $5k cash to open a unit. quizno's financed the rest. At a not great rate.. They required everything be bought from them (Not highly unusual) and then marked it up well over where it should have been.

Then they took a massive cut of profits until that loan was paid off.

All in all, it was a crappy deal and the people who went in weren't really vetted that they knew how to run a restaurant.. And many went under within a year of opening.

I do like Jimmy John's.. Jersey Mike's has one of the better Philly's. We have a place called Bellacino's, not sure how widespread they are, but they have some pretty good hot subs.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:04 PM

15,175 posts, read 24,345,130 times
All those sandwiches you guys are talking about are subs or hoagies. Nothing wrong with that, except I’m diabetic and way too much bread —good bread, but way too much of it. For me.

We have a chain around here called First Watch. They do breakfast and lunch, and the meats are good and the bread is wonderful, and even better for lunch you can get a half of a sandwich with a 1/2 salad or a cup of soup that is just the right amount of food.

They have veggie options, you can have breakfast throughout the day, it’s just a really good place to go and since I’ve been home I’ve gone probably about six times.

http://www.firstwatch.com/

Old 08-01-2022, 04:22 PM

14,462 posts, read 11,784,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
All those sandwiches you guys are talking about are subs or hoagies. Nothing wrong with that, except I’m diabetic and way too much bread —good bread, but way too much of it. For me.

We have a chain around here called First Watch. They do breakfast and lunch, and the meats are good and the bread is wonderful, and even better for lunch you can get a half of a sandwich with a 1/2 salad or a cup of soup that is just the right amount of food.

They have veggie options, you can have breakfast throughout the day, it’s just a really good place to go and since I’ve been home I’ve gone probably about six times.

http://www.firstwatch.com/

Been there, done that. I thought they were good. But.. They close at 2pm or so. loved their juices. I didn't have a sandwich, just breakfast.

Seems those are pretty much NC, SC, GA and TN and.. Pretty spread out. They took over an old Panera here after it moved to a new store across the street.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:22 AM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 25 days ago)

45,384 posts, read 56,708,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This sandwich is now gone. Why do these companies offer a really good thing and then get rid of it? If they are doing "market research" with a good product, why take it away? It was the perfect "other" choice than their usual fare for people who are, say, in a group or ordering for more than one person. It was a really good sandwich.

Now they've got something else, it's a Cajun Fish Wrap. Also good, but will probably be gone in 2-3 months.
Arby’s had the best BLT ever, but they discontinued that too.

I have a funny story about getting the chicken salad sandwich at Arby’s. DH and I were going to split one. We went through the drive thru and when we got it, it wasn’t cut in half. I went in and asked the kid behind the counter to cut it in half. He said he wasn’t allowed, “because of peanut allergies.” a. peanuts aren’t nuts, b. could he have washed the knife? c. could he have used a plastic knife? Great problem solving skills.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:07 AM

4,493 posts, read 2,951,408 times
Oh for crying out loud, that is so ridiculous. But that anecdote solves my bewilderment at receiving an entire huge square of a sandwich!

Our local Arby's has 12 new sandwiches and I am shocked at how high the prices are. They don't take coupons and while some of the sandwiches are good, they are rather small.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:32 AM

4,493 posts, read 2,951,408 times
Oops meant to say Subway, not Arby's. $9.50+ for a Subway sandwich is high IMO. I can see that being California prices but not necessarily Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink