U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 04:01 AM

54,801 posts, read 76,425,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I used to get sandwiches for lunch all the time from any of the many Jewish delis around my office. Couldn't really go wrong with any of them.
Ah.... That's exactly what I wanted to say!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 AM

3,663 posts, read 3,117,371 times
If you go to Subway and get a "footlong" cough 10" long it's what... $6.50 or $7?

If you go to ANY deli around the area, you can get grinders for like $5-$9 depending on how crazy of a sandwich you want.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:36 PM

10,006 posts, read 5,156,589 times
Oh you guys! You are so lucky.

Sandwiches are not a "thing" down here. The only place to get anything like that is KFC chicken sandwich with ---- lentils and rice! No sandwich places at all.

No deli meats either and the bread is just BIMBO brand, lol.

Oh for some roast beef, pastrami, smoked turkey, sourdough....cheesesteak! Even Arby's!

Though we're not foodies, we have acknowledged that the U.S. has it made in that department.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:43 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,300,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Just about any Deli local here (mom pop shop).

My favorite is a place in Seymour, CT called John's Deli (Rocky's Deli). Look at the size of this beast:

$4.75

Looks like 1/4 turkey and 3/4 tomato, what am i missing?

Old 07-15-2021, 04:54 PM

3,663 posts, read 3,117,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Looks like 1/4 turkey and 3/4 tomato, what am i missing?
It's Bologna (my fav)
Lettuce, Tomato, Pickles

I can't finish a whole grinder. I have to split it into two meals.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:52 PM

4,529 posts, read 3,065,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I moved to Massachusetts from Florida 3 years ago and really miss Publix! For the sandwiches, yes, but also generally.

Where I am in Massachusetts I haven't found many good delis (I'm sure I just haven't found them nearby) but a couple of pizza places do a pretty good turney sub. Everything fresh sliced, fresh made bread, good tomatoes (the tomoatoes need to be good!). My biggest problem with sandwiches bought out these days is they are just too big - I sometimes need to pull meat out just to be able to get a proper bite.
I am not sure where in Mass you are but out here in Worcester there are plenty of great delis. Also Wegmans is great for subs....looking at you Danny's Special but avoid Market Basket. I know it was recommended earlier but they are (sorry) just awful.
All these are 12 minutes or less from my home in Worcester.

Pastrami from Chani's Kosher Deli

An Italian from Tom's Deli

A Blondie from Bushel n Peck

A hot pastrami from Breens

Old 07-15-2021, 06:31 PM

10,985 posts, read 7,047,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
In Texas, we have two outstanding sandwich chains: Jason's Deli and Schlotzky's. Jason's muffaletta and Schlotzky's Deluxe Original sandwiches are truly amazing. They've totally ruined me for any other deli sandwich providers.
Of all the chains, Schlotzky's is the best. But we don't have any around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I live in OH and it's entirely possible to find independent sandwich shops and restaurants here. I already posted Jimmy's in Liberty OH. Here's another good one - https://www.kravitzdeli.com/libertymenu.html

I have no idea why anyone would prefer Jersey Mike's, Jimmy John's, Fire House or Subway to a local, mom and pop eatery.

We have plenty in OH, but some people are only open to chains. I will never figure that out.
Well, around here anymore "mom and pop" places aren't exactly "like grandma used to make" unless grandma was a terrible cook. They tend to come in two varieties:
a. Husband or wife is a chef and they put out really top notch food with a price to match.
or
b. No one knows how to cook, but they opened a restaurant and serve mostly canned and frozen junk out of a Sysco truck. So when your experience with local places is mostly bad, you tend to avoid them and hit the chains. They may not be great, but they are consistent.

We simply don't have any good old local delis.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:39 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,974,487 times
I love a good sammich, especially in hot weather when no one feels like cooking.

We have to make our own. Of the well-known sub shops, one's in a skank pit neighborhood, and the other's very, VERY hit or miss. Delis? You take your life in your hands. It wasn't always like this.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:29 PM

670 posts, read 401,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here too. More costly? What by a dollar or two? If that? And the sandwiches are generally made by family members not teenage kids who don't care.

They aren't going to spit in your sandwich. That's worth a couple of bucks to me. They are also CLEAN and authentic.

PS - I have personally NOT found them to be more pricey, but that's in Ohio.

They aren't more pricey here in NJ either... the prices are definitely comparable. I guess it depends on where you go.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,729,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If you like sandwiches, give Vietnamese banh mi a try. It's tasty and cheap.
That would be it for me. There are a couple of places on University Ave. in St. Paul (MN) - one a family-owned grocery - that has fantastic banh mi.

Second choice would be nearly anything from Cecil’s, a Jewish deli in St. Paul.

Third choice would be torta - again, good choices near work, but also the food truck that has taken up extended residence every summer a few miles from me has great tortas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink