Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 07:21 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,199,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

One of London's most iconic Italian Deli's is Lina Stoes, which is now in it's 77th year.

Lina Stores – Italian Delicatessens & Restaurants in London

As for chain's Paris Baguette, has now opened at Battersea in London, and it also has outlets in the US and Far East,

Paris Baguette- Wikipedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQ3YqQNaO0
Paris baguette is Korean.
Pastries aren’t too bad but the sandwiches are meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 07:35 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,199,138 times
Given a choice, I go to the fancy gourmet shop that has half a dozen kinds of bread fresh from the bakery (not a bag), dozen different condiment options and types of cheese add one. I like the fancy kinds of chicken and tuna salad - the ones with the apples and grapes, but almost all of their salads and cheeses are top notch.
2nd would be the Jewish deli for a pastrami, brisket or corned beef on rye- extra points because they have the best pickles.
3rd would be the Italian or pizza place for an eggplant or meatball parm. Toasted.

Any of the above are better than I would make for myself.

Last edited by foodyum; 05-17-2022 at 07:47 AM..

Old 05-17-2022, 07:45 AM

8,584 posts, read 9,052,968 times
Casapulla's Subs in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Great subs, wraps etc. Homemade Italian dishes at affordable prices.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:52 PM

23,872 posts, read 32,141,209 times
Here - Menu Jimmy's Italian Deli.

OR Here - https://www.kravitzdeli.com/

Old 05-24-2022, 01:31 PM

8,870 posts, read 5,888,260 times
I prefer deconstructed sandwiches so that I can appreciate the components themselves.

First, the bread must be exceptional so I enjoy it by itself. Why mush some proteins and some wet vegetables onto beautifully crafted, crusty bread?

Next, the filling must be able to stand on its own as worthy of the calories and other nutrients. Freshly roasted turkey, a wonderful corned beef, or steaming spicy pastrami, these are worthy of celebration.

Sandwich add-ons do not usually enhance the experience. Limp lettuce and flat tasteless tomatoes are not worth the effort. Crisp lettuce and perky tomatoes deserve their own plate; don't hide them under bread!

Neither mustard nor mayonnaise will be needed when the "sandwich" is eater in its most basic form.

Ta-Ta. I just remembered I've haven't had lunch yet!

Old 05-24-2022, 05:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

One of London's most iconic Italian Deli's is Lina Stoes, which is now in it's 77th year.

Lina Stores – Italian Delicatessens & Restaurants in London

As for chain's Paris Baguette, has now opened at Battersea in London, and it also has outlets in the US and Far East,

Paris Baguette- Wikipedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQ3YqQNaO0
Thanks for the info on Paris Baguette. Unfortunately the nearest to us is in Beaverton, Oregon, 143 miles away, but we do actually get down there a couple of times a year. Next time we'll stop by and try it.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:24 PM

20,821 posts, read 28,141,533 times
If you go to NYC Katz's deli is very good and 2nd avenue deli was also good but I believe it closed down. I used to go to a place called Wolfies in Merrick NY. Nothing like a good Jewish deli IMO. The bagel boss by me makes decent sandwiches and so does Stuff a Bagel in Farmingdale. there are 2 local deli's by me that are so so.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:54 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,397,117 times
I go to a local sandwich shop near my sister's place. The owner retired from the Philadelphia PD, came to San Antonio to visit kin, and stayed. He learned how to make cheesesteaks from Geno's, imports his bread from Philly, and serves it up with Cheez Whiz just like Geno's. They are delicious.

I've never had a real Philly cheesesteak until these, so will not make comparisons to any other version. I just know these really hit the spot.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:40 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
My fav is a lobster roll…. With a side of steamers clams with melted butter

One of the most famous places in Maine
For a lobster roll is called Red’s eat in wiscasset on rte 1 along the coast
This place has been on the food network channel

Most restaurants in Maine will have their own
Version of a lobster roll in the summer ..

Old 05-26-2022, 02:58 AM

18,831 posts, read 14,016,461 times
Back in the 1990s, I would go to the K-Mart deli, and buy "old" subs. They featured mild banana peppers - a new taste to me. IIRC, they were $0.69 when past their prime. I enjoyed them, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink