Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Oh my I just love jerky.
Good job.

Hey I have a jerky recipe somewhere that is the bomb.
I used to make it before I got into outdoor smoking.
It doesn’t even need a smoker.
I just use the oven with a spoon holding the door open about a half inch.

The originator of this recipe is going to come up for a weeklong visit in about a week.
I’ll post it then if I can’t find it sooner.

Back to the topic,
I used to really like Slim Jim’s but quit buying them after I found good ones at the Lockford Meat Company in Lockford CA. They are the next town east of Lodi.
Really good sausage there.
Then I was introduced to the local Slavic guy and quit driving to Lodi.

I figure if they can do it so can I.
We have some land and I want to build a smoke shack.
Nothing fancy or anything like that.
Heck even one of them dinky sheds from Home Depot would work .
Maybe the size of a phone booth or two for those of you that remember those.
I saw one on a YouTube Alaska channel and it looked easy enough.

Ok back to Slim Jim’s,
I just can’t find it in me to eat them anymore.
They just don’t seem healthy.

BTW, that pic gave me the munchies .
Another small world moment! When we lived in California we would drive to Lockeford Meat several times a year, mostly for the Portuguese Linguica, but also picked up a few other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 02:00 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
slim jims are what killed Macho man Randy Savage
Macho Man Randy Savage died in a car accident. He apparently had a heart attack while he was driving.

He was well known for his Slim Jims commercials, but his death had nothing to do with Slim Jims.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:36 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Macho Man Randy Savage died in a car accident. He apparently had a heart attack while he was driving.

He was well known for his Slim Jims commercials, but his death had nothing to do with Slim Jims.
Really man?

Old 08-10-2021, 07:10 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I used to like these. My brother would eat these for lunch with American cheese wrapped around them when he was a kid.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
I like them a lot, as does my whole family, but I don't buy them often, usually just on camping trips. I feel like they are a rare treat and shouldn't be consumed too often.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:08 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I used to eat them a long time ago, and also loved other similar brands of meat sticks. I could eat a dozen of them at a time.

The only problem (besides how bad they are for you) is that it gave me some really bad heartburn and nasty smelly burps where you can taste it coming back up.
Ditto. Same thing happens when I eat a hot dog - and it goes on all afternoon.

"Hot dogs! You know what they make those things out of, Chet? You know? Lips and a****les!”
--Roman Craig, The Great Outdoors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001dtJ0srBI

(We've been making our own sausage in our family since I can remember - it's a Central European thing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink