Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 07:48 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Mince Pie is also a rarity in the south.
OMG, when I searched the city for nonesuch mincemeat and finally found some I made a pie to take to work. Nobody, and I mean not a soul, had any idea what it was and most had no inclination to even try it, put off by the name!
I miss pasties, fresh MI blueberries and apples.
Later when I moved away from the Gulf Coast I missed buying shrimp fresh from the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 08:14 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
My ex husband told the story once, of when he moved to Baltimore, and went to the store looking to buy pork steaks. Everyone in Missouri knows what a pork steak is, but it was a "What's a pork steak?" moment in Baltimore. So the ex just bought a pork shoulder and had the butcher slice it for him.

Also...living in the Midwest...you can't easily get fresh seafood. If you've HAD access to fresh seafood, than you KNOW there's a difference in taste between fresh and say...Red Lobster seafood. And I'm not knocking Red Lobster...just saying, there's a difference.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:31 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
If you move from New York, you miss all food. They just do food better than anywhere. The melting pot melted and meshed and the results are incredible. Yes, there are the standards: pizza and bagels.
But it is everything: the hot dogs from the street vendors to the couture & ethnic restaurants.
YES YES YES.

People who insist that Einstein's bagels are just as good as H&H and people who insist that Boar's Head pastrami is just as good as Katz's Deli, are just so wrong. You just have to shake your head in wonderment that they are so delusional. You can try and lie to other people, but your belly knows the difference.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:13 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am talking about foods that were very common and easy to find where you used to live, but cannot easily find in your new state.

For me, moving to Wisconsin from Colorado, it is Green Chile, which can almost be considered Colorado's "state food"! The only place we can find it here is at Costco.

And when we moved to Maine, all the packaged hot dog rolls were like folded sandwich bread. Could not find the "regular" hot dog buns anywhere!
I’ve moved to many states… But never experienced not being able to find the food I liked in the new state.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:17 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
YES YES YES.

People who insist that Einstein's bagels are just as good as H&H and people who insist that Boar's Head pastrami is just as good as Katz's Deli, are just so wrong. You just have to shake your head in wonderment that they are so delusional. You can try and lie to other people, but your belly knows the difference.
Boars Head "pastrami?" More like Boars Head pastrami flavored bologna! I refuse to buy the stuff. Fortunately, there is a little Mennonite store a few miles away that has real brisket pastrami. Since the pastrami idea in both Jewish and Mennonite cultures comes from the Germanic roots, they are similar if not identical.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
From living on the western side of Illinois and Iowa: pork tenderloin sandwiches, Maid-Rite loose meat sandwiches, and Quad-City style pizza.

From living in the Chicago suburbs: Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, chicken Vesuvio - and pretty much everything at Portillo's hot dog chain. And from the food court at the Chicago train station: Montreal style pastrami.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:31 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I've been able to find almost everything, including poi. Some I just learned to make myself. I miss the huge selection of poke.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2021, 10:38 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
I can't find field corn anywhere. Everyone has sweet corn but field corn has disappeared from produce stands and markets. I miss that really starchy flavor and consistency of cooked, creamed field corn. Sweet corn just doesn't measure up.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:23 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I can't find field corn anywhere. Everyone has sweet corn but field corn has disappeared from produce stands and markets. I miss that really starchy flavor and consistency of cooked, creamed field corn. Sweet corn just doesn't measure up.
I would not touch field corn with a ten foot pole.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:17 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
CA - really good Thai and Indian food and places like Fat Burger
TX - Tex Mex, good selection of ethnic restaurants
AZ - In and Out, Jason’s Deli, Uncle Sams, deep dish Chicago pizza, Oreganos, Mexican, Ted’s Hot Dogs, Sushi, Carlsbad Tavern
Wa - I’ll miss a favorite Japanese restaurant and a couple of Pho places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink