Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:02 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,220,621 times

Advertisements

After moving from FL I miss freshly made ambrosia that was made from fruit from the back yard. Store bought just isn't the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 02:20 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,713,231 times
I miss rhubarb since moving to FL.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,306,089 times
The biggest one I can think of for Chicago that I wish it could do better in(after spending a lot of time seeing family in Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia), is that barbecue is NOT as good here as it is in the South. I do NOT care if anyone else living in the Chicago area disagrees with me, since I've tried pulled pork at a lot of places, and to me barbecue and pulled pork up here pales vs. my favorite places I've gotten pulled pork at in the South. I.e. Silver Pig BBQ in Madison Heights, VA(near Lynchburg, if you've never heard of this area suburb), Dean's BBQ in Jonesboro, GA, and same with Butch's BBQ also in Jonesboro. There also was a really good barbecue place in South Hill, VA(a town not far from where my late grandmother once lived), that I really loved there as well. Can't remember its name, since it was LOOOOONG ago I last ate there.

Yes there are a few BBQ places that aren't bad(i.e. Q BBQ, Smoque although that's more Texas style, but I still liked that place), but I wish the barbecue scene was better in the Chicago area. It really hit me very hard, when Rub BBQ in West Rogers Park closed a few years ago. I'm still trying to find a reliable place not far from where I live, that I liked as much as Rub. I think the guy who owned Rub, owns a BBQ place in the Denver area now. I REALLY wish the owner of Rub could've found a location to relocate them to somewhere else(if they weren't able to cut a deal with that landlord to stay in that space), instead of totally closing down here for good.

Speaking of Texas style BBQ, I was also very saddened when I heard the news Austin BBQ(in Wheaton, in the west suburbs) closed for good. That was another really good BBQ place! I've heard a lot of recommendations about Bombers BBQ in Munster, IN, but hadn't eaten there yet myself. Hopefully I get the chance to try them out, one day.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:15 PM

6,553 posts, read 4,702,286 times
Pizza. From CT, moved to LA. No decent pizza here.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:10 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,306,089 times
And to add to my post above, I do like Smoque, and am aware they exist for Texas style barbecue. So it isn't all bad for Texas BBQ, despite that Austin BBQ in Wheaton closed down. I just wish more barbecue places existed in the Chicago area, that is all.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:04 PM

22,181 posts, read 29,156,590 times
I don't know if I've commented on this thread so I'll just repeat. Moving from Miami to CO-Publix subs and chicken fingers from the deli (and Publix in general), Cuban food, Flanigans, Chicken Kitchen, Millers Ale house, Taco Craft, sitting at any restaurant on the water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink