Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 05:10 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

No sleepovers for me. I wasn't allowed to attend or host them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 05:17 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
My house was too full of people to have sleepovers but I had a friend who was adopted and an only child so she had a big bedroom all to herself - it was like being in heaven at her house! She had everything a kid could want in her bedroom so our group of friends usually went there for sleepovers.

Since our mothers cooked and baked homemade Italian food and desserts just about everyday, for a sleepover we had food that our moms would never buy at other times like Jiffy Pop Popcorn, frozen pizza and anything by Tastycake.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No sleepovers for me. I wasn't allowed to attend or host them.
I had a friend with parents who forbid sleepovers. I always wondered why.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:27 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ouiji board.
I went to one PJ party, at which we did indeed spend a lot of time on the Ouji.

My parents did not like how tired I was the next day. They forbade me from going to any more of them. Hey, a big appeal of these PJ parties is staying up way past normal bedtime! Bonding with other girls!

My parents were the biggest downers ever. Boohiss to them.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:43 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Hot dogs, chips, assorted junk food. My favorite was toasted marshmallows.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I don't remember what we ate, but we always finagled our way into having sleepovers at my friend Beth's house, because her father brought back a genuine Pachinko machine from Japan when he was stationed there in the service, and no one else's house could compete with that, regardless of what food there was!

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 09-06-2021 at 10:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 02:23 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I don't remember food being a big part of sleepovers. Pizza was definitely a common thing to eat for dinner, but I don't remember there being any snacks or anything. Although I do have a very distinct memory of a sleepover at my friend Beth's place where she introduced me to lightly toasting a tortilla in a pan and then buttering it, sprinkling it with cinnamon and sugar and rolling it up. Yum.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:36 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Mom would let us either order a pizza or pick up a few bags of Totino's pizza rolls, some sort of snack chip, and a two liter of some sort of soda. We girls would often end up in the kitchen making homemade cookies and/or popcorn, too. So many giggles and good memories.

In the morning following a sleepover, sometimes we'd put together pancakes, French toast, or waffles, but more often than not we'd make a recipe out of Mom's Betty Crocker cookbook called "Danish Puff." I'm still friends with several of those childhood friends and to a one, they all bring up that Danish puff as one of their food memories from sleeping over at my parents' house. It's odd the things that people remember sometimes, isn't it?

Old 09-07-2021, 07:37 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
My dad would pitch his old canvas Army tent between two trees in the back yard and we'd curl up in sleeping bags, snack on cookies and candy bars, and tell ghost stories, usually embellished by uplighting our faces with a flashlight held under our chins.

There were rules against lighting candles in the tent but we might have done it anyway

Old 09-07-2021, 09:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
We had tons of girls in my neighborhood growing up so we had lots of informal sleep-overs. For those, you just ate dinner with your friend's family and then maybe had a special dessert like ice cream with toppings like M&Ms. Sometimes the dads would drive us girls to Dairy Queen after dinner. Breakfast was usually something like pop-up cinnamon rolls.

But then there were slumber parties with several girls and usually celebrating a birthday or some occasion. That is where the food options were much more exciting! Totino's pizza rolls, frozen pizzas, watermelon, veggie trays - that sort of thing for the dinner, then junk food like cheese puffs, Twizzlers, Doritos, Pringles, Eskimo pies... for snacks while playing silly games, dressing Barbies, making crafts and of course, making prank phone calls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink