Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 05:44 PM

11,133 posts, read 5,749,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
Wow! That’s a lot of money! Tabasco is a food group for me. It’s pure, simple and clean. I panic if I run low. I’ve never seen prices like that! It’s pretty easy to make.
I am not a horder, but right before Hurrican Ida, I bought 4 extra large-size Tabasco bottles in case Ida hit the Tabasco factory or slowed down shipments in any way. I can't live without Tabasco. It goes on a lot of stuff.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:08 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,194,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is not necessarily a valid comparison since food prices do not scale by size. Generally speaking, the larger a container weight or volume, the lower the price per unit of measure.

In fact, at my supermarket, a quart of milk is the same price as a half gallon. For a while there, a quart cost more than a half gallon.

It is frustrating that people in small households or single people are penalized when they buy smaller units, while the "Family Size" containers cost significanlty less per weight or volume.
Well, a larger container does cost the manufacturer more per container than with smaller containers, it is ultimately cheaper to fill a larger, more expensive, container.

Milk is a commodity unto its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

The hot pepper sauce aficionados see all these average sauces as too wimpy as for heat
And the average hot pepper aficionados see all these burly hot sauces as only heat. I like heat, but not for the sake of simply being hot.

Personally, I like Tabasco. I don't think it is the best (in my opinion, probably Tapatio), but it is my favorite. I dunno, my father used it exclusively so I grew up with it.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:12 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,701,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

And the average hot pepper aficionados see all these burly hot sauces as only heat. I like heat, but not for the sake of simply being hot.

Personally, I like Tabasco. I don't think it is the best (in my opinion, probably Tapatio), but it is my favorite. I dunno, my father used it exclusively so I grew up with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAsfCQ2sXjA

very subjective of course, of supermarket hot sauces, they like
the Mexican brand Valentina Salsa Picante best
It's a little thicker than most. Similar to Tapatio but more vinegary than Tapatio, slightly less heat
but they also have a hot black label version

Old 10-08-2021, 01:01 PM

10,224 posts, read 6,689,579 times
Try this for “heat.”
Attached Thumbnails
Most supermarket hot sauce is  per quart or less, Tabasco --2b8c95c4-20c8-4320-98bb-ebd72d6ce091.jpeg  

Old 10-08-2021, 01:29 PM

41,877 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Easy solution: Don't buy Tabasco sauce.

I keep a half dozen or so small bottles of different hot sauces around, and buy Frank's by the half gallon for wings, etc. Current favorites: Jump Up and Kiss Me, Marie Sharp's green habanero sauce, and Pickapeppa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink