Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 12:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Another new trendy eats popping up a lot of urban cities is the Hot Pot All You Can Eat places.

It's usually Chinese or Korean flavors, similar to Mongolian AYC where you load up on all kinds of stuff but instead of them cooking the ingredients on a big hot surface. You get a small hot soup pot and you cook it yourself.

Most places charge anywhere from $13-25 per person for nearly unlimited ingredients except the proteins like meats and fish. Everything else is included in the price.

So you can easily go in and serve up the personal hot pot and eat as much as you want with the ingredients and side dishes they provide. But the real catch is to sell you the proteins which cost as much as $10-30/lb depending on what.

Many places sell you crab, shrimp, lobsters, and clams they are about the most priciest stuff to throw into the hot pot.

Then there are the beef, pork, lamb, rarely chicken.

Once you're done you can rack up $40-60 easily for about 2 lbs of meats and seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 12:58 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
If I'm eating 2lbs of meats and seafood, I would expect to pay at least $40-60.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:55 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Those have been around for quite awhile. With meat prices skyrocketing I'm surprised they are expanding.

$40 to 60 ain't bad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2021, 10:24 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Another new trendy eats popping up a lot of urban cities is the Hot Pot All You Can Eat places.

It's usually Chinese or Korean flavors, similar to Mongolian AYC where you load up on all kinds of stuff but instead of them cooking the ingredients on a big hot surface. You get a small hot soup pot and you cook it yourself.

Most places charge anywhere from $13-25 per person for nearly unlimited ingredients except the proteins like meats and fish. Everything else is included in the price.

So you can easily go in and serve up the personal hot pot and eat as much as you want with the ingredients and side dishes they provide. But the real catch is to sell you the proteins which cost as much as $10-30/lb depending on what.

Many places sell you crab, shrimp, lobsters, and clams they are about the most priciest stuff to throw into the hot pot.

Then there are the beef, pork, lamb, rarely chicken.

Once you're done you can rack up $40-60 easily for about 2 lbs of meats and seafood.
I dont think the Mongolian kind is actually Mongolian. I am sure its a marketing gimmick by chinese.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:26 AM

This is something that is easily done at home. You just use a pot on your stove as hot pot. Buy the thin sliced meats, some tofu, bouillon of your course, veggies, and viola.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:27 AM

You know what is also getting big or has been getting as big as Hot Pots.

The Seafood Boils. Its usually also chinese, and they like to tag the prefix "Cajun" in front. Its not run or owned by Cajuns though.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:30 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This is something that is easily done at home. You just use a pot on your stove as hot pot. Buy the thin sliced meats, some tofu, bouillon of your course, veggies, and viola.
My friend bought a hot pot and we did it for a girls night slumber party. Always need food to offset all that wine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2021, 11:12 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We've done korean hot pot several times in several different cities. Never once charged extra for meat. Everything included for one price. No lobster nor do I remember crab.

The one that was most fun was where they had a conveyor plate bringing small plates of stuff for the hot pot. Meats, veggies, dumplings, shrimp, etc. You made up your own dipping sauces from a buffet table with lots of different condiments.

Sadly, I can't imagine that format of dining EVER returning.

Old 10-09-2021, 12:34 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My friend bought a hot pot and we did it for a girls night slumber party. Always need food to offset all that wine.
What do you mean by "hot pot" in this context? Sounds delish, whatever it is.

Old 10-09-2021, 12:50 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What do you mean by "hot pot" in this context? Sounds delish, whatever it is.
Cook at the table pot similar to fondue.

This has been around for quite a while and so pricing by weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink