Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 03:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Pad Thai is absolutely a Thai dish common in Thailand.

The noodles are a Chinese ingredient but the flavors in Pad Thai are quintessentially Thai e.g the aggressive harmony of Thai chilies, lime, salt, sugar, and peanuts. It's a much bolder flavor profile than the original Cantonese, Hokkien and Teochow cuisines that influenced Thai food.

Another common Thai dish, "pad see ew", is more outwardly Chinese and closely resembles the Cantonese "chow fun". Similar dishes are found all across southeast Asia such as "char kway teow" which is considered one of the national dishes of Malaysia and Singapore.
I hope OP has read through these very thoughtful, informed, and insightful replies to his thread and realizes his gaffe.

Glad you mentioned the chow fun, it's one of my other favorite noodle dishes, so much so that I bought an outdoor propane wok so I could make my own from authentic ingredients and using a recipe shared by a food blogger from Hong Kong.

It could be said that "As American as apple pie, hamburgers and hot dogs" is funny, given that none of those items are actually of American origin.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:36 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...d-thai/360751/

Just in case people don't realize how the whole western world keeps calling the dish "Pad Thai" when in fact there's nothing Thai origins about the dish at all.

That's why it is not known in the Asian countries at all. Just like many Asian named dishes in America have no origins outside of America.

Chop Suey, Egg Foo Young, Po-po platter, and even egg roll. It's all Americanized or improperly named.
I don't care. I like it.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:04 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Pad Thai is absolutely a Thai dish common in Thailand.

The noodles are a Chinese ingredient but the flavors in Pad Thai are quintessentially Thai e.g the aggressive harmony of Thai chilies, lime, salt, sugar, and peanuts. It's a much bolder flavor profile than the original Cantonese, Hokkien and Teochow cuisines that influenced Thai food.

Another common Thai dish, "pad see ew", is more outwardly Chinese and closely resembles the Cantonese "chow fun". Similar dishes are found all across southeast Asia such as "char kway teow" which is considered one of the national dishes of Malaysia and Singapore.
Pad see ew is my favorite Thai dish. I've heard that it's considered Thai comfort food, which I could totally see, as it's not as bold a flavor as many others. But it's so delicious!

Old 02-27-2022, 10:42 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
My sister-in-law is from Thailand. Her personal Thai dishes she cooks for herself taste nothing like what you find in an American Thai restaurant. She uses a lot of fish sauce and no coconut milk...I don't think the American palate would care for it much--tastes quite salty...

Old 02-27-2022, 05:58 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My sister-in-law is from Thailand. Her personal Thai dishes she cooks for herself taste nothing like what you find in an American Thai restaurant. She uses a lot of fish sauce and no coconut milk...I don't think the American palate would care for it much--tastes quite salty...
I can assure you coconut milk is an essential ingredient in many authentic Thai dishes in Thailand, and if your sister in law doesn't use it she doesn't make some common Thai dishes.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:26 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Are we going to start to new thread to announce every popular dish served in the US that is not 100% authentic? How far back are we going to go to define "authentic?" Only native plants and animals?
Now that you mention it, gyros exert no resistance to changes in their orientation despite their misleading name. I call foul.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:24 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Now that you mention it, gyros exert no resistance to changes in their orientation despite their misleading name. I call foul.
Maybe the trompo that they carve from rotates in the other direction south of the equator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink