Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 10:21 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I never understood the concept of giving a piece of bread as a side item to a sandwich.
You know there are other options, right?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:34 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
A teenager at the barn was raving about their mac and cheese, so one day when I was out shopping, I stopped in a Panera for the first time and ordered it.

What a waste of money. It was like a cheese soup with a few elbow noodles, and it came with a mealy apple that I took one bite of, and saved for my horse, who wouldn't even eat it (ok, I admit he's spoiled because there's a Honeycrisp apple tree at the barn ). I was offered that or bread and I thought, noodles and bread? But I could have used the bread to sop up all the excess cheesy sauce.

I had a sandwich there a couple years ago and it was fine, but very pricey for what it was. If I ever go back, I'll stick with the sandwiches.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:49 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
I haven't been there in about 6 years or more? Their food is decent, but hardly spectacular. I don't mind going there for social events b/c they do have a nice venue (it's typically cleaner than other places, and have better and classier furnishings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I really like PB, but they have gotten too expensive for me.

I never understood the concept of giving a piece of bread as a side item to a sandwich.
For them, I can see the angle since their bread is supposed to be a cut above the rest (whether or not it's actually any good... dunno. I haven't been there in ages to judge for myself). Otherwise, this sort of thing puzzles me. It's like ordering a pasta dish at an Italian restaurant, and they give you bread Maybe provide a side salad? Some olives? It's redundant. In American cuisine, they serve mac and cheese as an entree, OR a side dish, but never both at the same time

Old 10-13-2021, 02:58 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I haven't been in a few years, when we went it didn't impress me enough to make me want to go back. It's OK, but a bit too expensive for a simple lunch. I can find better local options from small local business.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:12 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
I go to Panera for the Greek Salad, it's very good, better than a lot of Greek restaurants I've been to in Chicago's Greek Town.
The Greek dressing is superb. Add grilled chicken for some protein and get the bread with it, it makes for a pretty good, not too expensive dinner. The one close to me is busy for lunch but not dinner.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:13 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I'd kill for a Cinnamon Crunch Bagel or a Cobblestone muffin right now. Otherwise, I can take it or leave it

Old 10-13-2021, 03:55 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
How long ago was that? They've improved their offerings in recent years.
11 to15 years ago. Long enough that I can't remember what year. On a cold day I may stop in again to see what kind of soup they serve and check out the current menu.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Today was driving home from DR. office and wanted something...anything that was not fast food! Never was much interested in a place like Panera since its a kinda "uppity" place. But I thought i would give it a try.

Man! This place was awesome! A bit pricy, and counter setup confusing...but the food was great!

I got the turkey, avocado, BLT on multigrain bread and a chocolate croissant. I was pleasantly surprised.

My order came out to $15.

Am I the last person on earth to eat there?
Yes, and actually I think they've gone waaaay downhill lately.

I'm in a small midwestern town so the menu is actually a bit different from what you'd get at a standard deli-type place...the tiniest bit "exotic". But they've gotten very sloppy in how they put the sandwiches and salads together, have reduced the portions (typically the meat part), and at the same time raised the prices. I go back every once in awhile hoping they've changed managers or something and it'll be improved but it's disappointing.

Oh...except their soups which are likely frozen and not made in the shop...I looooove their summer corn chowder and will now have to wait 7 months to get it again.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:58 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
11 to15 years ago. Long enough that I can't remember what year. On a cold day I may stop in again to see what kind of soup they serve and check out the current menu.
I didn't realize they have been around that long. The one near me used to be a Paradise bakery. That place rocked!

Old 10-13-2021, 06:47 PM

57 posts, read 36,709 times
I go there for their French Onion soup. It's the best and roll and butter really top it off. Coffee is super and so is their orange scone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink