Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 10:29 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times

Advertisements

After a while in the warmer months sometimes the bugs will hatch here. It's also my understanding that they are already in the flour.

For a couple of years now I have kept my flour in our secondary refrigerator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 11:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
It most definitely does have a smell. It smells like flour.
Damn straight it does, and the smell is pleasantly mild. Any hint of rancidness is not normal.

And what’s with all the comments about bugs in the flour? If the flour did not contain them upon opening the bag, store them in sealed containers. That also keeps moisture from ruining the flour.

So far, I have not found any visible contamination in any flour I bought. One of the flours is milled right in my county, trucked out of a building within 2 miles from the local supermarkets. I don’t think the stuff sits around for long, because it is so popular here. The other flour I use, whole wheat, comes from OR. The bag I bought last week has a Best By date of June 2023–more than a year and a half away. Once I open it, it will be stored in a sealed container, as usual.

Another thought. Disgusting as it sounds, a dried, pulverized dead bug in flour that escapes your notice probably does no harm to you. It is DEAD, it gets baked, and your digestive acids further disarm bad stuff. Have you ever read how much “insect parts” is allowed in commercial peanut butter? Worry more about if your cat or dog gets paws inside the flour. Bacteria in too-humid flour...

Old 10-16-2021, 12:05 PM

37,580 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
It most definitely does have a smell. It smells like flour.
Okay...it is practically odorless. Really very little smell - at all. I recently had a bag of old flour, it was perhaps 1.5 years old, and I opened it and compared it to a brand new bag. HUGE difference, and to my pretty dang sensitive nose, the new bag was really quite odorless. After a few months, flour will start to have an odor, and that is a sign that the flour is getting old. Eventually, that smell will get worse, and then the flour turns rancid.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food...-flour-go-bad/

Old 10-16-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
And what’s with all the comments about bugs in the flour? If the flour did not contain them upon opening the bag, store them in sealed containers. That also keeps moisture from ruining the flour.
They are not visible when opening the bag.

Flour beetles feed on the broken bits and dust from grain that collect in bags of grains, flour, cereal, and pasta. The pests usually get inside packaging at warehouses or grocery stores and are then brought into homes inside these infested products. From there, flour beetles may spread to other pantry goods

Old 10-16-2021, 12:15 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,362 times
Default Air Tight container or lots of plastic bags ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I want to start stockpiling some flour. I want to know how long flour lasts in the pantry in room temperature.

Online advice range from 3 months to a year. I seem to have had flour that sat in my pantry forever and I still used it. What is your experience?
... and kept in the freezer or fridge, forever.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
... and kept in the freezer or fridge, forever.
Professionals advise between 1 - 2 years. Certainly NOT "forever".

All varieties of flour should be stored in clean, air-tight containers in a cool, dry location. Storing flour in the refrigerator or freezer can extend the shelf life of the product, up to about one year.

https://www.canyoufreezethis.com/can-you-freeze-flour/

Any white flour, like all-purpose or self-rising flours, stored at room temperature should be discarded after three months; if stored at a cooler house temp, it can last six months. In a fridge, the flour has one year, and in the freezer, it has two.

Whole-wheat or whole-grain flours have more of the natural oils that can spoil, so discard after one month at regular room temp, three months at cooler house temp, six months in fridge, or one year in the freezer.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-store-flour/

Different types of flour spoil at different rates, but a freezer will increase the lifespan of all of them. Expect your standard all-purpose flour to keep for two years when frozen versus eight months in the pantry. Whole wheat flour can stick around for a full year in the freezer, but only for a few months in your pantry

https://kitchenseer.com/does-flour-l...er-in-freezer/

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...e-whole-grains
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...-of-date-flour

Old 10-16-2021, 08:09 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

The bug usually aren't in the flour you buy but the eggs can be.

I've eaten enough bugs in my life camping and motorcycling not to have a fit about it and if times got hard - no problem. But I'd rather not.

Bugs in food. They actually have standards for how many they will allow. Makes me laugh (uneasily.)

I once checked an old container of pepper in the cupboard and it was full of living teensy, weensy spiders.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The bug usually aren't in the flour you buy but the eggs can be.

I've eaten enough bugs in my life camping and motorcycling not to have a fit about it and if times got hard - no problem. But I'd rather not.

Bugs in food. They actually have standards for how many they will allow. Makes me laugh (uneasily.)

I once checked an old container of pepper in the cupboard and it was full of living teensy, weensy spiders.
I guess that’s reason to always aerate the flour with bare fingers before using it! Or sifting, if the recipe calls for that.

My biggest food-pest fear is about finding not just a worm in an apple I bite into, but a piece of the worm. Ewwwwwwwww.

We have several pounds of recently picked apples from an unsprayed tree. Every apple got categorized as unbroken or holey. Bruises don’t matter. But the holey ones will be carefully cut to remove the violated part.

Yeah, I know that some people on the planet deliberately eat worms.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Professionals advise between 1 - 2 years. Certainly NOT "forever".

All varieties of flour should be stored in clean, air-tight containers in a cool, dry location. Storing flour in the refrigerator or freezer can extend the shelf life of the product, up to about one year.

https://www.canyoufreezethis.com/can-you-freeze-flour/

Any white flour, like all-purpose or self-rising flours, stored at room temperature should be discarded after three months; if stored at a cooler house temp, it can last six months. In a fridge, the flour has one year, and in the freezer, it has two.

Whole-wheat or whole-grain flours have more of the natural oils that can spoil, so discard after one month at regular room temp, three months at cooler house temp, six months in fridge, or one year in the freezer.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-store-flour/

Different types of flour spoil at different rates, but a freezer will increase the lifespan of all of them. Expect your standard all-purpose flour to keep for two years when frozen versus eight months in the pantry. Whole wheat flour can stick around for a full year in the freezer, but only for a few months in your pantry

https://kitchenseer.com/does-flour-l...er-in-freezer/

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...e-whole-grains
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...-of-date-flour
Our house must be one of the cold ones. The whole wheat flour stays good longer than even 3 months. I keep it in sealed containers on the floor, which is cooler than up on a shelf. And it gets no direct sunlight.

I do try to use up all the flour by summer, but this last batch was opened in spring and just now finished. It smelled, baked, and tasted fine right up to the end.

Still, I would not count on the flour being good for 6 months at room temp. If it has any off smells regardless of age, it gets tossed.

I certainly would not stockpile it or baking powder. Yeast can be refrigerated (I do) but probably not “forever.”

Old 10-17-2021, 04:10 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They are not visible when opening the bag.

Flour beetles feed on the broken bits and dust from grain that collect in bags of grains, flour, cereal, and pasta. The pests usually get inside packaging at warehouses or grocery stores and are then brought into homes inside these infested products. From there, flour beetles may spread to other pantry goods
Sounds delicious!!

I’ve got some gold medal flour … in the back of the cupboard
At least .. 8 yrs old .
I should dig it out if it’s full of these creepy crawlers…, makes
Some fried dough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink