Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 12:34 AM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I might sound like a NY snob when it comes to certain foods but IMO any Italian food/Pizza outside of NY or NJ is awful. Most places get their bread from Brooklyn Bakeries.
It's good in MA---and no doubt, in CT and RI. Little Italy in Baltimore has good Italian food. I've also had some good Italian food in South Philly. By good, I mean the old school red sauce places.

Here, in VA finding one of those places is like looking for a unicorn. Luckily, we do have a good spot where the Italian bread that comes with the meal is the real thing. Other Italian places around here don't serve real Italian bread.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Lots of mom & pop Italian restaurants make their bread from their pizza dough. That’s what I’m used to having. Usually, it’s warm out of the oven and sliced. There is usually a seasoned olive oil/garlic/oregano in a dish served with it.

If you’re doing the daily prep to make pizza dough, why would you buy bread from a bakery?

Old 11-08-2021, 08:11 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I have a standing, monthly lunch date at an Italian restaurant; went there yesterday as a matter of fact.
How nice to have a monthly lunch date

Old 11-08-2021, 08:22 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Not a big fan of Italian places, experience is limited. Went to a place yesterday (non chain) and while the entrees were tasty (and pricey), the 'bread' was plain old yeast rolls like you might pick up for Thanksgiving. Definitely looked 'store bought'. I was expecting maybe some kind of buttered garlic treatment.

Is this typical?
First world problem.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:34 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I might sound like a NY snob when it comes to certain foods but IMO any Italian food/Pizza outside of NY or NJ is awful. Most places get their bread from Brooklyn Bakeries.
You're not lying. I've been staying in a rural area of Ontario for months. I fantasize about eggplant rollatini, lol. The pizza is just awful, but there is one chain that is edible. As far as good Italian food goes, though, it just doesn't exist. There's a "Greek and Italian" place in town. The souvlaki is not bad, but the Italian food choices are spaghetti and lasagna at about the quality one could get in the frozen section of any supermarket.

Not hating on this part of Ontario--has wonderful fish and chips and good Eastern European stuff like perogies and cabbage rolls, but I guess Italians didn't want to move to a cold place.

I'm going home for a couple of weeks to my home in NJ and to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter on LI (not far from Islip) and I plan to EAT Italian (and Portuguese) food as much as possible.

By the way, I'm not of Italian descent myself--fourth/fifth generation Dutch and English NJ--but we all eat good Italian in Jersey no matter what our heritage.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:54 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
What city were you in?

FWIW, I've been in a few 'Italian' restaurants that were run by Greeks, Albanians and other non Italians. Best bet is a family owned mom & pop place. Usually has someone's name on the marquee. Luigi's, Mario's or some other named joint should be a bit more authentic.

While the quality of the bread usually won't break a meal, having a decent bread is a nice touch.
You still have to be careful. My ex-husband's neighbors, brothers by the name of Levy, had a pizza place called "Sal's". It was good, though!

The best pizza/Italian places in NJ are the ones that have pizza in the front and a dining room in the back, and you bring your own wine. They usually aren't fancy to look at.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:41 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
You're right, you do sound like a snob--or at least someone who grew up with a particular kind of Italian food, and wants something just like it.

East Coast Italian seems mostly Sicilian; I grew up in a San Francisco Northern Italian family, and the food is very different. I also prefer what I grew up with.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:05 PM

538 posts, read 538,723 times
A “true” Italian restaurant (trattoria) will typically have at most 5 or 6 entrees on a daily menu. Made fresh from whatever ingredients the chef finds that day. Pasta choices usually include 4 or 5 types of pasta.

Bread is usually never ending, freshly made that day, and served with EVOO, spices, and maybe herbs.

I have found Italian restaurants run by Albanians generally have quality food.

Run from any Italian restaurant that serves anything “Alfredo.”

Old 11-08-2021, 01:12 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
First world problem.
LOL. This reminded me that bread is not served with meals down here. I never even noticed until this thread! It was an extra item you had to pay for when we visited Europe, too. Then again, we/Europe don't get free water, either....

I would think crusty rolls with balsamic and olive oil would be Italian. We spent a month in Italy, but now I don't recall the bread, duh.

Old 11-08-2021, 02:56 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
This, but...

(Continue to next page lol)

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink