Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 08:59 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is it in a vac pack? On a plate covered with Saran?
Does it look and smells ok?
I left raw meats in a fridge for a few days and all was good.
Judge with your nose...
It's (well they since it comes w/2 small ones) in the original shrink-wrap type packaging as well as a freezer bag. I'll give it a shot this afternoon... fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 10:14 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I bought one of the shrink wrapped marinated reduced price (best buy date the following day) pork tenderloins, took it home, tossed it in the fridge and forgot about it. About a week later my roomie asked what I intended to do with it, oops. Opened it, sniffed it and ran a finger across the exposed meat, cooked it, and ate it. Yummm, and no ill affects.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:44 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I stuck one in the refrigerator on Fri. thinking I would cook it Sat. - didn't happen and still hasn't happened (life) - think it will be safe tomorrow? I tried to look it up on online, I won't use Google, but couldn't get an answer. Think it will be okay to do tomorrow?
Friday?? And this is Monday?? Yes. Of course it is fine.

Why not google this??

Old 02-07-2022, 05:33 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Update - it smelled and tasted fine - it was vacuum-packed, etc. - I asked because I'd had a previous bad experience with pork loin chops that I had defrosted and ended up not cooking so refroze - NOT recommended

Old 02-08-2022, 07:36 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If the meat has been thawed in the fridge, it is safe to refreeze. It is not safe if meat was defrosted on the counter.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Is-it...hat-has-thawed

As far as using it, as long as it smells & looks OK, I would cook it, & eat it.

There is conflicting information on refreezing proteins. The USDA source cited above says it is fine. The NHS source (https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-wel...and-leftovers/) says never do it.

Agree with in this case, check it for smell and appearance - especially smell - and let that be the guide. We have had meats still frozen after 24 hours in the fridge and still frozen in parts 48 hours in the fridge.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:10 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Note on using smell for pork. The juice that collects around the pork will go off in smell, a little bit slimy, long before the pork is bad. So if you are going to do the sniff test, rinse the pork off and dry it before you smell it.

When pork starts to smell a little off, it can still be safe to eat, but the flavor might be a little off so I won't use it if the smell is a bit whiffy. I don't want to go to the work of cooking something that turns out to be a bit off flavored.

Pork would have to be a long time in the refrigerator before it becomes unsafe to eat. It's a different situation if you've left it sitting out on the countertop to get warm, but if it is kept safely chilled to a low temperature, it can be safe to eat for quite a long time.

Note: pork won't store nearly as long as beef will.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:32 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Note: pork won't store nearly as long as beef will.

Say what? It's been the exact opposite for me. Beef goes 'off' to me in a couple or three days, pork can sit in the fridge for a week and it's fine.

I keep my fridge at about 34*, just above freezing. Depending on the weather, sometimes some things do freeze.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:02 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
If it’s in a vac seal you are fine …
And if you get a mild whiff odor let it air out

You will know if pork is gone … just like chicken

Beef fades away … while chicken and pork die. Dead

Many will dry age beef ( not in plastic) for 20-40 days … then scrape
Off the dried outside …

Most fresh meats ( cut steak and pork) in grocery stores are given a 4 days shelf life
( which means 3 days you shouldn’t have today’s date in meatcase)

It will keep in cooler and actually in your refrigerator longer… meatcase s have 2-4 defrost cycles per day .. they warm up for a short time). So the coils don’t freeze up
Coolers and fridges do not have defrost cycles

Prepackaged chicken might be dated for 7-10 days on package but I don’t date over 5 days with chicken

Vacuum sealed product can last for weeks

Old 02-08-2022, 05:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I've been buying the vac sealed meats whenever possible specifically because they are in an anaerobic environment and I have had the sealed packages last well beyond the sell by date on them. Pork loin and tenderloin comes vac sealed at Costco and I've had great storage times with them. My fridge is also freezing cold in certain spots so I arrange my contents accordingly.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:33 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
The vacuum sealed packs are great. I often stock up on "manager's special" tenderloins, etc, in the vac seal bag on the last day of the sell by date, freeze, and thaw out weeks and weeks later when needed. A lot of times I can get them for 1/2 off, a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink