Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 12:41 PM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times

Advertisements

Asparagus. Comes in three varieties.

There's the canned stuff.
There's the "fresh" stuff at the grocery store.
And then there's the asparagus that you get the water boiling in the steamer, go out to the garden and snap off a couple double handfuls, rinse it off, steam for a couple minutes, and eat it within 10 minutes of when it was growing.

That last one, there's nothing else like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 03:09 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Virtually all vegetables are better when you grow them in your own garden, let them ripen on the plant, and eat them within a few minutes of picking. I couldn't agree more. But I wouldn't say they are completely different in taste from storebought "fresh" produce. Well, tomatoes maybe. Or so I hear. I don't like raw tomatoes even when they are homegrown.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:18 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The canned mushroom thread got me thinking about this. Canned salmon is a food that tastes nothing like fresh. Grapefruit juice is another. The first time I had fresh squeezed grapefruit juice I thought I had gotten the wrong juice. Something starts happening to grapefruit juice as soon as squeezed that completely changes the taste within 24 hours. If you've never tasted fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice you don't know what grapefruit juice tastes like.

Any other foods like this, not just better but completely different when fresh?
I'll agree on the mushrooms and salmon, but not on the grapefruit. I suspect that you may have had a different variety that was fresh juiced than what is used in the Florida's Natural chill boxes. Simply Grapefruit is close, but not quite as good.

I had a red grapefruit tree in my backyard in Florida. You don't get any fresher than plucking a few off the tree and using a citrus juicer. and drinking within five minutes. That juice was quite a bit different than the commercial juices that contain a mix of fruits, including the more sour ones. Florida's Natural is an average of what grapefruit tastes like, much like orange juice is an average. I had two Valencia orange trees as well, and often grabbed an orange while mowing the grass. Those were amazingly sweet, unlike Navel oranges or some other varieties. In short, I think you may be confusing some of the extraordinary fruits for an average of the fruits, much like a ribeye is not like a strip steak, even though they are both steaks.

Passionfruit is a strange treat when fresh. It never translates completely into products with the passionfruit flavor.

Paper shell pecans are different when fresh off the tree. My wife was able to easily discern the differences that happened as they aged. It was fascinating and great fun to watch her test them at roadside stands.

It is no wonder that juices taste different than fresh in the U.S.. Supermarket juices have to be pasteurized to kill the organisms in them, and that can change the enzymes and sugar content as well.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:33 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It is no wonder that juices taste different than fresh in the U.S.. Supermarket juices have to be pasteurized to kill the organisms in them, and that can change the enzymes and sugar content as well.
We had Valencia orange trees when I was growing up. Of course, we did not pasteurize the juice, and if a pitcher didn't get finished quickly enough, after a few days it would start to ferment and taste pretty funky. So I can understand why juices sold commercially are pasteurized.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:35 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
You mean like potatoes vs potato chips?

Old 02-15-2022, 05:13 PM

70 posts, read 32,252 times
Before covid, I haven't eaten anything out of a can since the 1970s, with the exception of tomato products for pasta sauce, and that's only 'cause I have to.
It's either fresh or frozen, and occasionally it's frozen over fresh.

During covid shopping, I also avoided anything in a can that's highly acidic, such as pickled beets, pineapple etc. (and also don't ever buy vinegar in plastic containers).

During that time, I started buying GG asparagus tips, which I then put in omelettes.
Of course I'd love to have fresh A all year long, but I just don't vision myself steaming five or six stalks for an early morning omelette every other day.
I wish I could find those frozen.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:29 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm the exact opposite. LOL! I can't even stand the smell of canned tuna. But a seared tuna steak? YESSSS please!
And I enjoy both!

Old 02-15-2022, 09:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
Tomatoes. A ripe tomato just picked off the vine is....

Old 02-16-2022, 03:16 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Coconut water. All fruit juices, I purchased a juicer and the first time I ran red grapes through it....wow. So incredibly sweet, so refreshing and 'alive' tasting. It was like only seeing in black-and-white then suddenly being able to see in color.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Asparagus. Comes in three varieties.

There's the canned stuff.
There's the "fresh" stuff at the grocery store.
And then there's the asparagus that you get the water boiling in the steamer, go out to the garden and snap off a couple double handfuls, rinse it off, steam for a couple minutes, and eat it within 10 minutes of when it was growing.

That last one, there's nothing else like it.
Now I have to try this except I can't grow asparagus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink